Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review, James! Appreciate the insight.

I am absolutely delighted that James can't articulate the difference beyond results. I've been scratching my head trying to describe it verbally to my golfing partners, can never come up with anything that sounds rational, so in the end I just hand it to them (SL 2ball).

Almost all say "yep, that feels really nice" while swinging - even before they have hit a ball - and all like it after hitting one.

When I say to them "ok, but why does it feel nice?" they get why I couldn't put my finger on the correct language and just handed them the club.

I am absolutely delighted that James can't articulate the difference beyond results. I've been scratching my head trying to describe it verbally to my golfing partners, can never come up with anything that sounds rational, so in the end I just hand it to them (SL 2ball).

Almost all say "yep, that feels really nice" while swinging - even before they have hit a ball - and all like it after hitting one.

When I say to them "ok, but why does it feel nice?" they get why I couldn't put my finger on the correct language and just handed them the club.

Hahaha, it wasn’t for lack of trying!

In the end I realized that my inability to describe it sort of IS the story....which was definitely a new one for me with the 100+ reviews I’ve done over the years.

Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading, guys!

• Admin
Hahaha, it wasn’t for lack of trying!

In the end I realized that my inability to describe it sort of IS the story....which was definitely a new one for me with the 100+ reviews I’ve done over the years.

Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading, guys!

I have come to the realization that my first thought that came to my head is what my descriptor is moving forward. "Fluid"
Yes it has balance. Yes the insert nails the White Hot that people love with the added tech of micro hinge. Yes there is more stability in the head and more weight in the butt.
In the end there is a lot of talk about all of the tech, but to me, the one area where the putter excels is that it is completely fluid from the moment you pick it up.

I still do not have one, but I have a feeling that changes as it just feels right.

I have come to the realization that my first thought that came to my head is what my descriptor is moving forward. "Fluid"
Yes it has balance. Yes the insert nails the White Hot that people love with the added tech of micro hinge. Yes there is more stability in the head and more weight in the butt.
In the end there is a lot of talk about all of the tech, but to me, the one area where the putter excels is that it is completely fluid from the moment you pick it up.

I still do not have one, but I have a feeling that changes as it just feels right.

Yep, that's as good as anything :good:

I end up on "natural" most often, because it feels like there is no undue influence from the putter on how you are taking away and back through. There's no fight between you and the club.

Great article Jman! Your experience is right in line with mine and I don’t have a word for why I like the SL.

Nice review - it hits all the marks, which is exactly what the putter does. The technology just flat out works. It’s reallybthatbsimple.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that @jman, maybe one of my favorite reviews I have read. I don't own a stroke lab but have tested several and I struggled to decide if I liked the feel. What had me going back to try other models was the results. I would agree that the grip is lacking and the fact that it has to be the correct weight to not offset the balance is a bit troublesome in my opinion. In my testing the different models felt different to me but I did really enjoy the double wide more than most.

Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter Review

Nice review Jman! I am looking forward to learning more this weekend on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a great read James. I agree with you on the feel, it just works and there's no great way to explain it. It just feels natural.

You're right on the insert also. The shaft technology tends to outshine how good this insert is. It could really make a little of people with different feel preferences pretty happy.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

My goal is to get to try one in my length sometime this summer (35.5 vs the 34 I used here). I'm curious for sure.

Thank you James for that review. As usual you are able to articulate exactly what you are seeing so that anyone can easily understand. I appreciate your insight into the design and how it truly is a revolutionary design in terms of balancing the stroke to help golfers putt better.

Solid review there. And has me even more excited to try these out this weekend.

Great review James. I’m with everyone else, it’s impossible to accurately describe the feel with this shaft. Fluid, natural, right, all describe it...kind of.

Fllllllllllllllllllllllllllllluuuuuid.

This is a great writeup! A lot of Truth in this writeup! I love my DoubleWide! My putting has been the best it has been in years and I think a lot of it is the Strokelab technology along with being fitted and having the right neck on the putter! Odyssey keeps moving forward with greatness and I will be gaming this along with the Toulon Vegas this year and due to the softer milling and firmer white-hot microhinge it will be very easy to go back and forth.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Very well written review, with good content, as they always are.

Nice review Jman. Actually just picked this one up today to see if it can beat out my beloved 7S.

Appreciate all the kinds words!

@Lions81 I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

loved the review, same things I saw but described better than I can. I need to look at possibly adding some weight to the head of my tuttle, went from the stock grip to a grip that is 81g.... 16g is a little more than I am comfortable with.

I also think that this insert is the first time I got a noticeable change in feel by changing balls. Went from a couple different models to a CSX and just loved what I was getting with the CSX/White Hot insert.

loved the review, same things I saw but described better than I can. I need to look at possibly adding some weight to the head of my tuttle, went from the stock grip to a grip that is 81g.... 16g is a little more than I am comfortable with.

I also think that this insert is the first time I got a noticeable change in feel by changing balls. Went from a couple different models to a CSX and just loved what I was getting with the CSX/White Hot insert.

Thinking about grabbing a weight kit?

Thinking about grabbing a weight kit?

not sure, might throw some lead tape on the bottom to see if it makes any difference. I putted pretty well by my standards with it as is. If the added weight helps, weight kit will be inbound.

not sure, might throw some lead tape on the bottom to see if it makes any difference. I putted pretty well by my standards with it as is. If the added weight helps, weight kit will be inbound.

You know I happily approve all lead tape use.

Great article. Lots of great info stuffed into a short article. I am a fan of blades and maybe this would be a better answer to help with putting.

Back