Newbie looking for guidance

mattonthewater

Reaction score
Handicap
Good morning folks,

I am VERY new to the game of golf, other than driving some friends crazy at the driving range. I apparently swing a golf club like a baseball bat and outdrive them pretty easily and typically its a very straight shot. Otherwise I have ZERO golf experience. In my job; sales, I get asked to play quite a lot and make up excuses as to why I can't (really its because I never have and i'm not trying to look like an idiot in front of clients).

Anyways, I am looking for a good set of irons to start with (used is fine and actually preferred) that I can learn and "grow" with. I don't have a super strict budget but if I could be in the irons in the mid 200ish range or so i'd be happy. I've been looking on a few sites like globalgolf and ebay but with so many options, its very daunting for a novice.

If its relevant I am 6' tall, read a few things about club length etc. The local golf shops have been sadly ZERO help other than trying to shill $1000+ iron sets.

Any suggestions for an errant noob?

TLDR: Completely new guy, mid $200ish range for a good starter set of irons that I can play with for years until I get better.

Welcome to THP.

You want as much forgiveness in the irons as you can stand to look at. To use older terminology you are probably looking for Game Improvement clubs. With your preferred budget look for options that are a season or two old. If at all possible try to hit the clubs before buying. Shaft can make a big difference for how the clubs feel...don’t shy away from graphite.

:welcome:

My advice would be to see a pro for a few lessons and get fit for a set of clubs that will work with your swing. It sounds like you have some natural athletic ability which should make picking up more go smoother for you then many. Just my 2 cents worth.

Welcome to the THP family. One option that comes to mind would be the Srixon 5 series. I haven’t looked at prices, but would think you could find a set of 545s or 565s in that price range. They are quite forgiving but still have a great profile. They are long and you could easily play them as you improve. I played a set as a single digit index.

It might be good to try to figure out your swing speed, tempo, etc. a little bit, to know what shaft might work best for you. Most big box stores have fitting carts and some type of launch monitor and could at least provide some rough baselines.

Good luck. It is a very addicting game.

Welcome to THP!

If you look to ultimately purchase a set online, check out Budget Golf. They're great people, plus you can use the THP 15% off code (found on the home page).

I can say that I wish when I started I took some lessons. Also wish I took some lessons again in my early 20's when I started to play a lot. I also wish this 3rd go around after 15 years off and came back last July and I would have took some lessons.

So take a lesson from me not learning my on lesson on not get lessons, and make sure you go take some lessons.

That said, look for 2-5 year old "game improvement" or "super game improvement" irons as this should keep the game fun. (another lesson I didn't do that I regret.)

Welcome aboard!

I 2nd get some lessons. Your teacher should be able to suggest reasonable priced clubs that will work with your swing!

I can suggest Callaway pre-owned. You can get some iron sets for their older models for under $400. They offer decent discounts from time to time so you may be able to get them closer to $300 (or under).

I am not one to make a big deal of the brand of clubs but since you are in Sales, that may be a factor? Since Callaway is a very well known brand, you should be covered in that area. Plus they make solid clubs as well.

Welcome!

1st remember that most people you will ever golf with don’t care if you shoot 70 or 170 so long as you aren’t slow while doing it so go out golfing whenever asked.

2nd the suggestion of a few lessons is the best one.

3rd it’s pretty easy to find some used clubs. You’ll probably want a driver, some hybrids, and some Super Game Improvement irons. Any brand you recognize for any of them will do you fine to start with for any used clubs. This is one of the very few instances where the Golf Digest Hot List is helpful; if the used stuff you are looking at is in that issue in the past 5 years you’re probably on good footing. At 6ft you might want to look for irons slightly longer than stock, but not a huge deal. If you ever start having putts for par on the majority of holes then you can worry about upgrading.

As mentioned, go see a reputable pro and he can get you pointed in the right direction. For newer golfers, you will want something in the SGI(super game improvement) or GI(game improvement) genre. Stay away from stuff that has the word TOUR attached to it.

I am a salesman as well, and I can definitely say that I have used this great game to forge strong relationships with clients from getting them out on the course, so you would be doing your professional career a favor by jumping in head first into this great game as well.

Good luck, and keep us posted on this journey because we all love to help people spend their money on golf gear:)

Advice to see a pro is spot on, but you actually need some clubs to use when you do :alien: So, looking around at BudgetGolf, who partners with THP for some amazing events, I found a set of Wilson Staff D200 which can be had new for $213 to your door using the THP coupon code. The D200 are a well-regarded iron in the game improvement class and will enable you to get started learning the game. They aren't the sexiest things out there, but if you can put a decent enough swing on a driver as you say in your OP, you should be able to get started playing with these very quickly.

And, welcome to THP. :good:

Definitely lessons and you could probably snag some CF16s for a great deal ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the excellent suggestions thus far! I took one trial lesson a few weeks ago and the Pro didn’t tell me much other than try to change how I swing. I’m a relatively muscular guy so keeping my left arm straight in a golf swing just isn’t possible. I gave up on him and said I’ll learn it on my own. I had a few folks recommend some Big Bertha irons or even some kinda Blades? (I think those were TM) at the local driving ranges.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions thus far! I took one trial lesson a few weeks ago and the Pro didn’t tell me much other than try to change how I swing. I’m a relatively muscular guy so keeping my left arm straight in a golf swing just isn’t possible. I gave up on him and said I’ll learn it on my own. I had a few folks recommend some Big Bertha irons or even some kinda Blades? (I think those were TM) at the local driving ranges.

If the pro wasn’t helpful, definitely avoid that guy. But I recommend trying again.

Whoever on the range even said the word ‘blade’ to you should be forced to wear duct tape over his mouth in public. Blades are for pros and elite amateurs who need no forgiveness. Big Berthas could be good. But definitely search “super game improvement irons.” Anything from the list found will be good.

Welcome to the forum! Get lessons, please...be diligent in your search. Ask clients, inquire at your local courses, etc... it’s money well spent and you won’t regret it. As far as clubs, at 6’0 tall you’re likely to fall into the standard category for clubs meaning there are a plethora of options for you. Stick with major manufacturers like Titleist, Taylormade, Ping, Callaway, Hogan, Cleveland, etc...a set that comes to mind that was extremely popular years ago and should be had cheap and are forgiving are Ping Eye 2 with a black dot... the most important thing right now though IMO are lessons. Keep us posted on your progress!

Don't give up on finding the right golf pro. A good golf pro will stress that there is more than one way to square the club face and swing the club to produce a good golf shot. You just need to find him/her by doing some research in your surrounding area about who are the better teachers and interview them like a job interview. Find out what their philosophy is, and then tell them your concerns, and from there you should be able to make an informed decision about who to go with. Once you find the pro, do an introductory lesson to make sure the two of you jive and then are off and running.

I am confident that you will find the right pro if you take these steps.

Good luck man!

@mattonthewater if you still haven't decided on a set of irons head to the marketplace forum here. There is a set Wilson Staff C200 which would be an excellent candidate right at your budget point.

Advice to see a pro is spot on, but you actually need some clubs to use when you do :alien: So, looking around at BudgetGolf, who partners with THP for some amazing events, I found a set of Wilson Staff D200 which can be had new for $213 to your door using the THP coupon code. The D200 are a well-regarded iron in the game improvement class and will enable you to get started learning the game. They aren't the sexiest things out there, but if you can put a decent enough swing on a driver as you say in your OP, you should be able to get started playing with these very quickly.

And, welcome to THP. :good:

I’ll second them. Dad got a set for the same price and his iron play improved immensely versus the 25 year old clubs he had prior. He had no prayer from 150+ before. Now he can get his longest iron into the 165-170 range. Prior to him getting them, we called every iron his “120 club” because that’s how far he hit 4i-9i, lol.

Hit some clubs at a big box golf store on a launch monitor to see what type of shaft and flex works for you and what style of head seems to work well for you (game improvement, etc.).

Then you could search around for older, similar designed heads with the shaft that is appropriate for you.

TaylorMade offered a product called RocketBladez. If that’s what the person meant by “blades”, that’s not a bad option at all. If the person literally meant “blades” ... absolutely no way you should do that.

Lessons are a huge benefit!! They can lead you to years of enjoyable playing!! I was often frustrated with the game before I had lessons. Borrow one of your buddies clubs for a few lessons

Back