Bigger Story: Tiger Woods Winning or John Daly Winning Using a Cart

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The zingers have gone back and forth, and obviously Tiger Woods is the needle in golf. You could make a case though that John Daly, being lost in a sea of great golfers, winning would be the biggest story to come out of a golf tournament since Tiger's return to greatness at the Masters.

Besides the obvious of a player that many believe pissed away a ton of natural talent, the idea of using a cart has some believing it is an unfair advantage.

What are your thoughts on the subject.

Tiger winning is always the biggest story. It would definitely be more shocking if John Daly won though.

Man, both would be huge stories. I think the Daly using a cart story would blow up if he won, or was even in contention. I think most people don’t care about it b/c they don’t think he even has a shot at competing, so more of an afterthought.

While Daly winning in a cart would strike up some interesting conversation, Tiger winning would not just move the needle, it would spin the needle.

The zingers have gone back and forth, and obviously Tiger Woods is the needle in golf. You could make a case though that John Daly, being lost in a sea of great golfers, winning would be the biggest story to come out of a golf tournament since Tiger's return to greatness at the Masters.

Besides the obvious of a player that many believe pissed away a ton of natural talent, the idea of using a cart has some believing it is an unfair advantage.

What are your thoughts on the subject.
In this situation I don't think unfair advantage comes in because there's no chance JD wins this thing.. If he makes the cut it will be surprising for me. I guess the only unfair thing is that he may take money away from another player as he wouldn't even be able to compete without the cart. The challenge is that others may use it to their advantage in the future. I don't know why JD is still playing. I saw him at a Champions Tour event last year and he looked miserable, played worse, and clearly didn't give a care.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Admin
Man, both would be huge stories. I think the Daly using a cart story would blow up if he won, or was even in contention. I think most people don’t care about it b/c they don’t think he even has a shot at competing, so more of an afterthought.

Thats the rub of it. He probably has no shot at all. But if he did, kind of like his 2nd major, the golf world would explode.

If Daly wins there will be buzz because of the cart and it's an easy story for the lazy media to pounce on, Tiger wining would be bigger. That would be 16 majors and would so many sub plots to break down that could live well beyond the last putt dropping on sunday.

Thats the rub of it. He probably has no shot at all. But if he did, kind of like his 2nd major, the golf world would explode.

Yeah. If he makes the cut the rumblings will start. But if he actually had a good day Saturday and was in it, look out.

After Tigers comments, the ultimate would be a final group of Daly and Tiger. Could you imagine, lol.

Tiger winning would trump anything.

Tiger winning (or being in contention) will always be the bigger story. To be honest, until THP posted that Daly would be allowed to use cart, I didn't think he was still playing on tour. Why is he getting exemptions? I can't imagine that many people are chomping at the bit to see him play. It wouldn't surprise me if has a DQ or withdraws.

Tiger winning (or being in contention) will always be the bigger story. To be honest, until THP posted that Daly would be allowed to use cart, I didn't think he was still playing on tour. Why is he getting exemptions? I can't imagine that many people are chomping at the bit to see him play. It wouldn't surprise me if has a DQ or withdraws.

As a PGA Championship winner, he gets to play in this event.

Because Tiger is coming off a Masters win...I say Daly, looked at as the everyman golfer, winning at a Muni Course, while using a cart, would be the bigger story. Plus he'd be the oldest to ever win a major.

If Tiger had no won the Masters, it wouldn't be close.

Definitely Tiger getting closer to Jack and having a chance at the Grand Slam. No chance Daly wins so I immediately dismiss that as a potential story.

Definitely Tiger getting closer to Jack and having a chance at the Grand Slam. No chance Daly wins so I immediately dismiss that as a potential story.

But that is kind of the point. That he is viewed as having no chance. Plus using a cart due to condition. How crazy of a story would it be if he won.
FWIW, and I am not comparing them. His first major it would have been viewed as him having no chance either : )

Daly winning the PGA would be a big story...Tiger winning the PGA would knock the sports world off its axis.

If daly won it would be a short lived explosion, but if tiger won again it would be hyped all the way until the next major

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I gotta give it to Daly here.

He's sure done a terrific job of damaging what could end up being one of golfs coolest biographies. This might help mend it a little.

Daly might get an initial reaction like "he's not done yet" or "guess he likes the PGA" but if Tiger wins, they will be talking about it for months leading up to the US Open & will he beat Jack again. Whenever Tiger wins, the entire golfing world shakes to its core.

I think Tiger winning would be bigger. Back to back majors, along with all the chasing 82 talk lately, could crash the internet!

To me Tiger winning the first 2 majors of the season would be a much bigger story than John Daly. I don't expect him to even make the weekend.

Tiger. Halfway to the Grand Slam. Inching closer to Jack. Passing Sam Snead.

Having already expressed my opinion on the cart issue, I think Daly would be the more controversial story. But a Tiger win would be huge, and for all the reasons everyone has already expressed.

Oh man...can you imagine if Daly makes it in the Top 10 on Sunday. The cart coverage might be enough to make me forget about the annoying pictures of the Warning sign.

If John Daly wins "because of a cart" then I guess that settles it..... using a cart significantly increases your chances of playing better golf.

As proven by your interview with Budget Golf and the Tiger effect, it is Tiger by a mile. If Tiger wins, this brings back the Jack vs Tiger talk, brings up the grand slam talk, and brings hype until
the US Open.

Back