Is Using a Cart on Tour Cheating?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so its kind of a click bait title, as we know some players have been able to use one in the past due to Americans with Disabilities Act. Daly has an arthritis condition and was granted permission to use it in the PGA Championship. My question to THPers is do you think it should be allowed and if someone with one were able to win, would it be viewed (right or wrong) as cheating?

To me this whole thing isnt really about the injury, but about the lifetime exemption for past winners. Daly shouldnt even be close to taking a spot up with how his game is today. Treat it like the WGC events.

To answer your question, no I dont think its cheating. If its in the rules, its not cheating. It may be an unfair advantage for sure but hey if an official makes a call, its the call.

If medically allowed, I don't view it as cheating. Felt that way with Casey Martin, and still feel that way.

i don't think it's cheating. but a win while using a cart would necessitate an asterisk. if daly won, there would be plenty of people who will forever say, "yeah he won, but he used a cart"

If medically allowed, I don't view it as cheating. Felt that way with Casey Martin, and still feel that way.

My thoughts exactly.

PGA approved it, he has stipulations that he can't even have water in the cart and cart is to be uncovered. So don't see it as cheating.

absolutely Not. There is no unfair advantage to using a cart for the Pros. They are in extremely good shape & do it for a living, so a walker is not going to be at a disadvantage over a rider.

Now, us beer belly, get out once a week if their lucky, type of golfers ... yes. I would think it would be, especially on the later holes when everyone is getting tired & full of beer. Plus the guy walking has no way to hold his beer! That's a disadvantage in itself.

I don't see a problem with it here. Its John Daly, so I think the natural reaction is to be against it completely, but I think its perfectly reasonable.

• Admin
To me this whole thing isnt really about the injury, but about the lifetime exemption for past winners. Daly shouldnt even be close to taking a spot up with how his game is today. Treat it like the WGC events.

To answer your question, no I dont think its cheating. If its in the rules, its not cheating. It may be an unfair advantage for sure but hey if an official makes a call, its the call.

Is it in the rules? Im asking genuinely. I know its allowed due to the disabilities ACT, but is it in the rules of golf?

Is it in the rules? Im asking genuinely. I know its allowed due to the disabilities ACT, but is it in the rules of golf?

I honestly would have no clue. If they ruled in favor of it, that nulls any previous rule against it right? Therefor making it not cheating? I dunno haha this is why the rules of golf bother me so much

Was Daly's medical exemption by a PGA Championship sanctioned Physician or Daly's private physician? I'd like to know if he had to go thru a series of interventions or therapies (steroid injection, anti-inflammatory use, physical therapy, etc) in order to get the medical exemption.

As nice as it is to see former winners come back to play years later, if one's game isn't up to snuff, please stay at home.

I don't think cheating is the right word, because it implies that you're being unscrupulous to get an advantage... But, it is an advantage nonetheless.

What if Tony Finau had gotten a cart at the Masters last year after his ankle injury, or Rory after his soccer injury? I think this would be a big issue if a contender was pushing for an exemption. Remember how hot it was at the PGA last year? Riding would have been a huge advantage.

I don't think its cheating since he was given permission to use it, but honestly if your that injured why are you even playing?

Here's Tiger's take on JD taking the cart:

“This is a bigger golf course, there’s a lot of property,” Woods began his response. “There’s definitely going to be a component to stamina as the week goes on, four days over a tough championship that is mentally and physically taxing takes its toll.”

Then, instead of offering up the canned response many pros — and perhaps the old Tiger — would have given, Woods delivered a pointed jab.

“As far as JD taking a cart? Well,” Tiger said, before pausing as a wide grin broke across his face. “I walked with a broken leg, so…”

If it's in the rules it isn't cheating, but I think you really need to have a disability like Casey did to use one. If you are "hurt" or can't loop around because of something other than a true disability, then don't tee it up and take a spot away from someone else.

If the rules or ruling allows it, then it is not cheating. No matter who it is or the state of their game.

Since it is legal, technically it is not cheating. It does give an advantage to the player though but the bigger question is what @jdtox asked.

If it's in the rules it isn't cheating, but I think you really need to have a disability like Casey did to use one. If you are "hurt" or can't loop around because of something other than a true disability, then don't tee it up and take a spot away from someone else.

Thats really the question, because I do not see it in the rules.
He got the exemption the same way Casey Martin did, through the disability act, not an injury.

I don't think it's cheating, and I don't think that's a question that would be asked if anyone but John Daly were climbing into a cart instead of walking this week. I will find it interesting if it gets hot this weekend and he somehow makes the cut how people will perceive it.

He got the exemption the same way Casey Martin did, through the disability act, not an injury.

Does he have a disability though? Or did he find some loop hole that allowed this?

Does he have a disability though? Or did he find some loop hole that allowed this?

He has said (or doctors have) that his arthritis issue is his disability.

I look at this like the PED discussion. Is the cart really giving the user an advantage, or just getting them on the same level as the players that don't physically need it?

He has said (or doctors have) that his arthritis issue is his disability.

I didn't realize arthritis is considered a disability. I know it sucks but its not what I think of when I hear that word

I guess I meant within the rules of what's being allowed for the specific tournament. I might have missed it because it didn't register enough with me to look it up, but what is the Daly disability he used to get the exemption?

I guess I meant within the rules of what's being allowed for the specific tournament. I might have missed it because it didn't register enough with me to look it up, but what is the Daly disability he used to get the exemption?

His arthritis condition of his knee.

Back