digusting etiquette or habits on the course

This was the wrong thread to read while eating my lunch :sick:

hobo blow. I have allergies. sneeze/runny nose in the spring time so I do that sometimes if I don't have a tissue and don't want to blow my snout into my dirty golf towel. I try to do it somewhere where it wont bother others, but sometimes end up with boogers on my shoes. it's not gross, if you don't look at my shoes. :act-up:

Similar here. It has to go somewhere -- biodegradable!

How about peeing in the open?

I'm guessing this is a very common occurrence. After all, who doesn't like to drink beer and golf??

hobo blow. I have allergies. sneeze/runny nose in the spring time so I do that sometimes if I don't have a tissue and don't want to blow my snout into my dirty golf towel. I try to do it somewhere where it wont bother others, but sometimes end up with boogers on my shoes. it's not gross, if you don't look at my shoes. :act-up:

hahaha.....I think everyone has been stuck in a situation ocassionally where we are in need of a napkin or tissue and just don't have one. Which is why I try to make sure I have some in my bag.

I do have a bad habit that is not my fault and just is what it is. You know when your about to sneeze you can get that ticklish warning? Well often times for me I get that warning and the sneeze is immediate. I'm talking "tickle/sneeze" fastre than you can say it and this sometimes results in not being to catch myself because there is just no time to do so. I'm often left with little to no choice but to just turn my head away as quickly as I can and hope no one is near by. What makes it even worse is that very many of my sneezes are multiple sneezes one after another without pause between. Sure sometimes I can sneeze a few times but have pause. But too may times it can be like a machine gun via multiple fire. My record for immediate consecutive rounds fired in a row is 12.

A very funny story......One of my first formal holiday dinners with my wife's parents (before we were married) was a xmas eve dinner and I sat next to my (then to be) Father-in-law (rest his soul I loved him). But while sitting next to him I had one of my (not enough warning time) sneezes and it was also a multiple machine gun fire sneeze. With only barely enough minimal warning I quickly dropped my head down and to the side and basically did this right into his lap. The look on his and everones faces was priceless and so was my embarrassed feelings. None the less, it was always something that would come up in jokingly conversation and still does to this day.

This can also happen to me while driving and my wife has long been accustomed to grabbing the wheel from the passenger seat as soon as I would sneeze. Even if its not one of my "non warning" type of sneezes she knows it still may be a machine gun fire one and so she immediately will grab the wheel in almost a second natured way.

I wouldn't have shaken his hand after the round either!

Bad nasty habits:

Spitting sunflower seeds on the green, tee, or the golf cart bubby hole. (Any spitting of anything in those places)
Flipping your cigarette on the green.
I agree with this, especially the butts.

As far as the guy, other than possibly being distracting, you're not playing his spittle clubs so it wouldn't really bother me, especially if he was otherwise nice to play with.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm with you with the sunflower shells... nothing like a few in your line while putting whats wrong with people

digusting etiquette or habits on the course

I'm getting super tired of the sunflower shells on the greens the last 2nrounds I've played on public courses. Nothing ticks me off like having to remove shells with fresh saliva on them.

This is just disrespectful of the game, course and anyone else playing behind. People that do this should be slapped. HARD

Not the most pleasant thing to bring up but...

Not really in terms of bad behavior because they guy wasn't at all rude or anything like that and was actually quite friendly but I just have to share something that's been on my mind for over a year. I never seen anything like it before nor since and can never quite shake the thought of it and is one of the most disgusting habits imo I ever witnessed. I need to share it

You know how someone may spit on their hands to grip something? whether its licking fingers to grab paper or something worse you might see from a kid or in a movie. well...let me tell you what I had the pleasure of viewing for an entire round of golf.

I played (as a single) and as usual get paired with many. This one round I was paired with a 3some and one of the players would literally spit on each hand every single time before he would grip a club. This seriously went on right from the first tee all the way through his last chip shot on 18. Every single pre shot for every shot without exception you would see and/or hear (forgive my made up spelling..lol) but hear a ptho from one hand, then a pthoa for the other hand, even from the oposit side of the fairway and then a clap n rub of his hands together and then grab the club. I kid you not this was the scene the entire round for every single one of his shots. I never ever seen something this disgusting.

To admit... I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobe for personal hygiene and also believe strongly in things like making sure there is a serving spoon in serving food dishes so no one uses their own used forks in the main serving plates. So perhaps this is just me being a bit too over the top here but I found this to be quite disgusting and rather disturbing. I was sure after the round to never shake his hand. And to be honest, other than the fact that he was a nice guy I didn't want to even be too near to him. I got the image of him spitting in his hands all day burnt in my mind. feels good to finally let it out and share it into your heads...lol...but it wasn't really funny :( Just never witnessed such a disgusting habit (or if we can call it etiquettes) while playing.

Sounds to me like the guy may not be educated in grip replacement. Once or twice....whatever. Every damn shot? That's just unclearly and downright annoying to hear and deal with. It would've bothered me too.

100% sunflower seeds on the greens is gross - also cigar ash on the greens....now don't get me wrong I like a cigar but I make it a point to leave it in the cart or on the edge of the green so as not to leave ash....

As for myself, if I don't have water in my cart and there isn't any on on the course I will spit on my club face but never really thought about it - I will be more conscious now as not to offend anyone.

I wouldn't have shaken his hand after the round either!

Bad nasty habits:

Spitting sunflower seeds on the green, tee, or the golf cart bubby hole. (Any spitting of anything in those places)
Flipping your cigarette on the green.
The bolded potentially cost me my first eagle ever! I was so po'd when I saw my chip tracking towards the hole and then suddenly skip left after hitting a butt I hadn't noticed on the green. The course is not a freaking ashtray people!

Disgusting

I am amazed at how many people spit on their equipment. You're obviously welcome to do what you want, it just seems.. gross.

The cigarette butts are inexcusable. I'd blow a gasket on someone doing that while playing with me. Same goes for seeds, but not to the same extent (maybe around the greens).

When I don't have water available ill spit on my club face and wipe it with a towel to get it free of dirt. Never thought it was disgusting, but I guess many in this thread will think so. Kind of getting self conscious about it now

100% sunflower seeds on the greens is gross - also cigar ash on the greens....now don't get me wrong I like a cigar but I make it a point to leave it in the cart or on the edge of the green so as not to leave ash....

As for myself, if I don't have water in my cart and there isn't any on on the course I will spit on my club face but never really thought about it - I will be more conscious now as not to offend anyone.
I dont find any of this disgusting, but thats just me. As a kid, I came home out of the woods almost every night covered in dirt and who knows what else so not much of this sort turns my head.

I will spit on my clubface to clean it when there isnt a club washer on the cart. Honestly, spit is full of enzymes that break down organic matter so it is actually an effective club cleaning solution.

I do get annoyed at seeds on the greens, but not as much as i do when people dont fix their d@&n ball marks.

Cigarette butts and seed on the greens are definitely the worst in my opinion.

Only thing that bothers me is sunflower seeds/cigarette butts being left around the course as it just shows a lack of respect to the other golfers on the course.

Cigarettes, cigars, sunflower seeds, or spitting on the green. As a chewer, I NEVER spit where someone's ball could end up near the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this, especially the butts.

As far as the guy, other than possibly being distracting, you're not playing his spittle clubs so it wouldn't really bother me, especially if he was otherwise nice to play with.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I can put up with some stuff but this was way too much way too often. It was simply gross to be constantly viewed.

I don't think I really fret too much over things guys do to their own equipment and such. Ball marks, seeds, butts, and such, do bug me. Nastiest thing I endured golfing was probably 30 years ago. One of the guys I was playing with brought his son to ride along while he played. Normally that's a good thing as I really enjoy seeing kids getting involved. But I'm pretty sure this little dude crapped his pants on the back nine. He was like 8 maybe 9 so you wouldn't expect that. Smelled pretty ripe and was super awkward. I mean his dad had to smell it too. No one said anything, but it was one round I was glad to see come to an end.

Last edited:
I don care if someone spits on their hands. Spitting on the green is gross and the same as basically as spitting on everyone's ball. The same with cigarette butts and sunflower seeds. That's just low class. If I smoke on the course the butt goes in my pocket or cart. It's not like there's not a garbage pail on every tee.

Chewing tobacco and spitting it frieking everywhere. Just makes me want to heave.

I've seen it all I thought, but spitting on his hands before each shot? That's about the dumbest David Ortiz golf move I've heard about in a while.

I golf with someone on occasion that does not use enough deodorant ...

I once played with a guy that put the entire ball in his mouth to clean it off. It was disgusting!!!

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

A friend of my father's when I was growing up used to Lick the ball, every time when he got on the green. I always wondered if he died from ingesting all the chemicals that were on the balls over the years. I gave him hell for it all the time but he didn't care.

Tobacco chewers spitting all over the greens. Be careful when cleaning debris on the greens !!

Back