River Islands GC (Knoxville, TN)

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Going to Knoxville to visit my brother this coming weekend. We're playing at River Islands Golf Club while I'm there. Checking out the rating and slope for each tee, this course looks TOUGH. Any THP'ers ever played this course? If so, thoughts? What makes it so difficult (besides the elevation changes and water)? Is it worth playing? Or is it one of the courses that's so difficult it's not enjoyable to play? TIA!

I played there in 2016 and enjoyed it! I've got a review and pictures on my website and if you like I can PM it to you.

I played there in 2016 and enjoyed it! I've got a review and pictures on my website and if you like I can PM it to you.

Sure thanks!

Is that the one in Kodak? If so I’ve played it a few times.

I really enjoyed the course and I suck. It’s definitely different. The third hole is a par three across the Pigeon River. It’s not a hard hole but it’s definitely intimidating.

I’m sure live golf can give you some good guidance. He keeps a pretty good record of everywhere he’s played.

I've heard of it bc I live about an hour and a half from Kodak but never played it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have played it several times. The layout and location are amazing. It starts on one bank of a wide shallow river for a couple of holes, then the 3rd hole is a 180ish par 3 from that bank over to a large island where the green sets right on the bank. There is a long par 5 on the island then a shorter par 3 across the river to the other bank. You play several holes on that side and then 2 more on the island before playing the last 2 back on the original bank.

The problem the course has is that it is remote and it seems to always be on the verge of failure. It has changed hands a lot and no one seems to be able to bankroll it. Sometimes it can be a bit scraggly due to this. Anyway, it's a great course and really fun to play. Any golfer will appreciate the layout and it has 7 or 8 really great holes and all 4 par 3's are really well designed.

My favorites are 3, 5, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, & 17.

I thought it was a fun track. Only got to play 9 and it was a number of years ago. It was an out and back so from 9 it was a long ride back as I recall

We were running behind schedule an unable to make our tee time, so we ended up playing 18 at Three Ridges nearby. Not a bad track, greens were soft and fast, course in good shape. But nothing to right home about I don't think. Looking forward to going back up there at some point this summer and playing River Islands and possibly Egwani Farms.

Back