TaylorMade MySpiderX Design and Review

MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
DESIGNING MY CUSTOM TAYLORMADE MYSPIDERX PUTTER
Image Courtesy of TaylorMade Golf

NOTE TO READER: This blog review covers the design of the MySpiderX putter through the TaylorMade website only. The review on the final product and performance testing will follow.

Building off the successful MySpider program from last season, TaylorMade launched the MySpiderX custom putter program this week. The program allows users to design and customize the hosel, color, sight line, and grip of a SpiderX putter. Personalized performance, for every golfer.

WHAT IS MYSPIDERX AND WHAT FEATURES CAN BE CUSTOMIZED?
MySpiderX is a custom TaylorMade putter that allows the player to design and build a putter that fits their personal style and preferences. The custom features and options of the MySpiderX putter are:

​CLUB HEAD
  • Left or Right Handed
  • Option of True Path Alignment Technology
  • Single bend, Short Slant, Flow Neck Hosel
  • No Sight Line, Single Sight Line, Short Sight Line, T-Sight Line

COLOR
  • Combinations of the following colors
    • White, Black, Tour Red, Silver, Red, Gold, Pink, Yellow, Light Blue, Green, Orange, Purple, Copper, Midnight Blue, Blue, and Dark Blue
  • Components for color customization
    • Head, Sight Line, Weight, Face Insert, TaylorMade Badge, SpiderX Badge Colors

SHAFT, GRIP, ADJUSTMENTS
  • 32" - 36" Putter Length in 1/4" increments
  • Available SuperStroke grip colors
    • White, Black, Tour Red, Silver, Red, Gold, Pink, Yellow, Light Blue, Green, Orange, Purple, Blue, and Dark Blue

​​WEBSITE EXPERIENCE
The MySpiderX website offers a very smooth, intuitive, step-by-step, process for design. With every feature selection, multiple views of your custom putter instantly update and show a realistic photo. The design process starts with dexterity, hosel, true path alignment technology, and sight line. Then component colors are selected, followed by putter length and grip color. Once designed, your putter can be placed in the shopping cart for checkout with the click of a button. Be sure to sign up for a free e-commerce account to receive free shipping on all orders.

A LOOK AT MY CUSTOM MYSPIDERX PUTTER DESIGN
For my custom MySpiderX design, I chose a simple but classic color scheme that builds off of the stock Navy SpiderX offer by TaylorMade. I prefer a quite look at address, so many of the color combinations I chose were muted colors as to not distract the eye at address. The specifications for my build are as follows:​

CLUB HEAD
  • Right Handed
  • True Path Alignment
  • Short Slant Hosel
  • Single Sight Line

COLOR
  • Midnight Blue Head
  • Silver Sight Line
  • Silver Weight
  • Silver Face Insert
  • Silver TaylorMade Badge
  • Dark Blue SpiderX Badge

SHAFT, GRIP, ADJUSTMENTS
  • 34" Putter Length
  • White/Black Super Stroke Grip

​IMPROVEMENTS TO THE MYSPIDERX PROGRAM OFFERING
Overall, the MySpiderX program program is a great offering that has something for every golfer. The nearly endless combinations of colors, hosels, and sight lines offers countless positives. However, there are a few things the product can improve upon.

Some missed opportunities with the MySpiderX, for me, were:
  • The T-Sight Line is much smaller on the MySpiderX than on the previous MySpider. I had every intention of doing a T-Sight Line on this custom putter as I have always wanted one on my current Spider Tour, but when I saw the line design offered, it was a quick turn off. Below are photos of the T-Sight Line for the MySpiderX and the MySpider, and to me, there should be an option for a full sized T-Line. Also, TaylorMade should bring back the single dot line for the MySpiderX offering.
  • The MySpiderX does not offer a chrome shaft as the MySpider did last season. The chrome shaft would go better with certain color combinations of the putter and lead to a better offering overall.
  • Shaft model options, as well as lie and loft angle adjustments would have been a great feature for the customization of the MySpiderX. Lie and loft adjustments are available for the SpiderX through The Custom Shop, but the color options are not. Being able to choose the shaft length for the MySpiderX is great, but TaylorMade should have taken it one step further and allowed players to choose different shafts and have the lie and loft adjusted, if desired.
  • One final room for improvement of the overall offering is the color combinations for some of the putter components. The head has many more color offerings than all of the other components, which limits the overall color combinations. Some of the designs I came up with just did not work for me as the only color that worked with my design was black for these components. This was just not the look I was going for. A few more color offerings for all components would be a huge plus.

​FINAL THOUGHTS
The MySpiderX has taken the versatility of the SpiderX putter to a whole new level with elaborate customization. Offering players the ability to customize the club head, true path alignment technology, hosel, sight line, color, grip, and shaft length allows everyone to game a putter that shows of their unique style. Having a truly one-of-a-kind putter is what separates the MySpiderX from the standard SpiderX putter.

Designing my own MySpiderX custom putter was a fun experience, knowing that my creation will be a one of a kind putter made solely for me. It is great knowing that no one on the course will be gaming the same putter as I will be.

The price point for the MySpiderX comes in at $420, which is slightly higher than the stock SpiderX. There is a 3-4 week wait for your custom putter to be build and shipped to you. The cost is a little on the higher side for a putter, but custom work is not cheap, and you may be hard pressed to find a better custom service than through the MySpiderX putter. Overall, it is a great value.

Last edited:
Back