antomiami

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone,

I joined THP a few days ago. My name is Antony, I'm 43 yo (I'm 5'8'') french and lives in Miami for about 4 years. Here's my story that should sound familiar. I used to play golf in my early 30's, but then get married, kids...so had to give up for a while (more or less 10 years:act-up: until the past few weeks...I played a few holes just for fun. I was a bit rusty but my swing seems to be alive. I will need some lessons with a teacher , but for sure I'm back on the greens !!

I used to play quite often in my 30's but still consider myself as a beginner, maybe a late beginner.

So here is my question :
I would like to buy a used iron set, a driver and a putter. My budget is around $300 more or less, I know it's not a lot but it's what I have. I checked ebay and online golf second hand store, read many threads and reviews, and to be honest I'm totally lost and confused. A lot of the sets I've checked are between 5 and 10 years old, isn't it too old ? Here under the one I picked up ? Any other suggestions ? Mizuno MX 950
Callaway Steelhead X-16
Callaway 2006 Big Bertha
TaylordMade Speedball
Nike Victory Red Pro Cavity

I didn't start my quest for the driver and the putter, so any advice is welcome.

Many thanks,

Antony

Welcome to THP, Antony! Glad you're here!

Welcome back to the great game and Welcome to THP! As far as suggestions on clubs, Start with the basics and add on from there is about the best I can tell you. With the budget you said you have you should be able to get a decent starter set up. Iron wise personal opinion is that going a bit older isn't going to be that detrimental, Woods and Driver I would look for something in the last 3-5 years as the added forgiveness of the new tech will help a lot. Putter? Only thing I can say there is what ever feels good and you can roll with confidence is the one to go with. Good luck on the Journey back into the world of golf!

Welcome to THP and welcome back to the greatest sport in the world!!!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP and back to the game!

Welcome back to the game and to THP!

Since you seem willing to go with an older set for now, I can recommend Callaway Diablo Edge irons. They came out in 2008 or 2009, I think, and can be had well within the price range you mentioned. I had a set with the steel uniflex shafts, and played the best golf of my life with them. I would still have them, but I'm an admitted club ho.

As for a driver, see if you can find a Cobra ZL Encore. For its day, a very forgiving and decent distance driver. I, for one, will NEVER sell mine. Even though I play a Ping G30 now, my ZLE is absolutely my go-to backup. The only reason I now play the G30, is that I'm a little longer off the tee with it than with my ZLE.

Whatever you decide, do consider Callaway Preowned. In my experience, their clubs have been in better shape than their rating (I have bought "like new" and even "very good" conditions clubs that looked like they were brand new). Their customer service has been top-notch for me, and they ship very quickly.

Again, welcome back. Play well.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

There are so many good bargains out there now a days. Go to Ebay. Callaway has a Ebay store with great values. I would recommend buying a good used driver because that is where the technology is. Then any good set of used irons the last few years will do. And be patient. I just started playing again also after years of layoff, it takes time. But the new club technology will help you out. Good Luck!

Back to Golf, still need help

Back to Golf, still need help

Hi everyone, Checked again eBay and some web sites this morning. Found a few sets that could fit my needs : Callaway Steelhead X-16, Callaway RAZR X, Mizuno MX950. Callaway preowned is a bit over my budget.
Some of you told me to look at Ping, but I'm confused with the meaning of colors dots? Is there a kind of standard color ? Thanks again. Antony

Welcome to THP Anthony.

In regards to Ping and their dots, I believe black is the standard lie. You can go on their website to see what the various colors mean.

For a putter, please give the SeeMore, especially the FGP models, a hard look. You can get a used one very reasonably priced and it would be a great putter for someone in the beginning phases to help with alignment and good set up habits.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP Anthony.

In regards to Ping and their dots, I believe black is the standard lie. You can go on their website to see what the various colors mean.

For a putter, please give the SeeMore, especially the FGP models, a hard look. You can get a used one very reasonably priced and it would be a great putter for someone in the beginning phases to help with alignment and good set up habits.

You are correct, black dot is for standard lie. Ping's color chart and their excellent static fitting system can be found on their website.

Hi everyone,
A few words to keep you posted.
Spent my last we to check ebay and read reviews again and again. Played a few holes on Saturday, had to rent clubs. Get some Tilsteist 755 steel shaft which I didn't like.
Eventually find my babies yesterday, got a used set of Callaway X-18. Can't wait to get them.
I'm now looking for good used driver. I would like if possible to stay around $50/60. Any suggestion ? @rebel4life I checked the Cobra the looks like a very good choice but unfortunately over my budget...What about the Nike Sq Sumo ?
Thanks again for your help,
Antony

Hi everyone,
A few words to keep you posted.
Spent my last we to check ebay and read reviews again and again. Played a few holes on Saturday, had to rent clubs. Get some Tilsteist 755 steel shaft which I didn't like.
Eventually find my babies yesterday, got a used set of Callaway X-18. Can't wait to get them.
I'm now looking for good used driver. I would like if possible to stay around $50/60. Any suggestion ? @rebel4life I checked the Cobra the looks like a very good choice but unfortunately over my budget...What about the Nike Sq Sumo ?
Thanks again for your help,
Antony

Antony,
If you can find a Golf Smith or a Golf Galaxy they usually have pre-owned clubs and bays with launch monitors that you can use to find what club works best for you. The SQ Sumo (if I remember correctly) is the square driver? Loud, but an OK club I believe. Don't have any personal experience with it, just what I remember hearing about it.

Look at a Ping G10. Will fit your price range and a very good driver. One still gets passed around our family.

John

Welcome back to the game. My story is similar. I quit for twelve years after the birth of my second son but missed the game the entire time and came back about two years ago. My co-worker needed a set of clubs and had a budget of $400. Via eBay I found him:

Titleist 990 irons 3-PW (my personal favorite Titleist iron set)
Taylormade TP Rac 56/60
Ping B-60 putter
Adams Speedline Ti driver
Adams Super 9031 hybrid
Callaway Optiforce 3 wood

All were new to mint condition and in the end it all came out to $350 total. It takes a bit of searching but you can have a quality set in your budget.

I would say irons haven't changed that drastically so older sets are fine. I would recommend for woods the Optiforce series by Callaway. Very inexpensive and very underrated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-Op...804197?hash=item1c654faae5:g:yrYAAOSw~oFXEteb

Hi Galen, Thanks for your help. I'm almost done, just get a set of Callaway X-18 4-PW+AW+SW for $225. Bought yesterday a Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 for $55, Driver and a Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 3 Hybrid for $25. Putter on his way.
Should I get a 3 wood and 4-5 hybrid ?

Hi Galen, Thanks for your help. I'm almost done, just get a set of Callaway X-18 4-PW+AW+SW for $225. Bought yesterday a Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 for $55, Driver and a Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 3 Hybrid for $25. Putter on his way.

Glad to hear you've found clubs you like. Regarding your 3-wood question, it depends upon you, of course. However, you might want to consider a 5 wood. The additional loft should help you get the ball up, and you'll likely not give up a tremendous amount of distance. I had a Cleveland Hi-bore 5-wood that I still kick myself for selling off. It was such an easy club to hit from a multitude of different lies.

Depending on the loft of your driver you could go with a 3 through 5 wood for sure. As for the 4/5 hybrid I'd probably wait until you try the 4/5 irons on your X-18. If I recall those are pretty easy to hit compared to other manufacturer's long irons.

Back