The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is outcry here locally because our city owned course is doing discounted green fees until May 30th. For $32.00 you can play 18 holes with an included cart. A great number, when you consider this course had been under water/flooded/destroyed with 2 seasons of no play, and they are trying to draw people back.

Other local courses, are complaining publicly (in the newspaper and social media), that the city owned course is endangering the viability of privately owned courses with it's low green fees. They argue that other courses will suffer due to having higher rates. For example, one local 9 hole course charges $20 for 9 holes, $28 for 18, and then another $15 for cart. Other courses are usually in the $30 range for green fees plus the cost of a cart. But these fees keep increasing every year.

I can see both sides of the issue, with the city course needing to draw customers, and with the private courses being worried they will lose groupings. As a golfer though, $32 all in for golf is a killer deal here, and has a lot of us excited to play. Even after the "early season discount is removed" I would be paying $22.50 per 18 plus cart (regular price I believe is $28).

I see it more as a win-win. I can play a great course for 1.5 months at a super low cost. After that, I can get out to other courses in the area with more available tee times because the city course is functional, leaving more available tee times because there is then an additional course that will vie for a person's golf dollar. Yes competition might hurt your business, but it might also make golf more accessible to others and grow the sport, and in turn maybe there will be more people who want to support golf here locally.

they way I see it, the private courses do not understand how commerce work. early season deals are common, as the courses are not in their optimal conditions yet.

they should should do one of threee things: 1- offer competitive pricings, 2- offer a better product or 3- shut their pie holes.

I haven't eaten McDonald's since January. That may change today.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HAHAHAHAHA! I was just glared at by the entire math science hallway of teachers for being only 1 minute early to cover a class today while that teacher admin's a test, they were all pacing around.

I love being the outcast science teacher, and this is why my classroom isn't in the main building.

#LeavemealoneImgrumpy

Outcast science teacher with a conference championship...just saying

-------------------

I went against my own advice last night and let things get personal. I know I wasn't alone but still need to do better. Everyone is entitled to their views just as we are entitled to disagree. But there is away to do so in a constructive way. Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much but I do and wouldn't change a thing. But I will choose my response better in the future.

It's Detroit Tigers opening day.
I noticed there were no Stadium Brats, or Better Made potato chips in the house...
Let's see if my wife picks some up on her way home from work.
It's been my opening day meal for 20 years....

A few more days then of to Kansas City and Saint Louis for a week for work. Long days ahead.

It's Detroit Tigers opening day.
I noticed there were no Stadium Brats, or Better Made potato chips in the house...
Let's see if my wife picks some up on her way home from work.
It's been my opening day meal for 20 years....

Hey I have about 100 Detroit Tigers schedule magnets, along with the Indians and reds. I give em out to clients. If ya want one let me know. That goes for anyone else who might be a fan of the tribe, Tigers or Reds.

lol this whole conversation is similar to something were dealing with at work. We are very good at what we do. Are we the best? That depends on who is answering the question. To us, we are the best at what we do, but we arent perfect. There are always things we can work on to help continuously improve our process. And i sort of see that here. There is some sort of misinterpretation or misrepresentation between members who have created bonds through events and gatherings and endless nights of golf conversation and the newer members. I figured this out sort of right away when i joined THP. It wasnt as smooth of a start as i would have hoped for but i put myself out there and dove in and THP has been a huge part of my life since then. But that was probably the hardest thing ive had to do here, go out of my comfort zone and take that leap. Maybe I can do a better job of helping newer members make that leap.

This is really good advice. A little over a year in here, I still feel out of my comfort zone on nearly every post I make. I actually wrote something today regarding THP where I said we. That was a big deal for me. It takes (me) time to get to know people and understand the culture and nuances. I have gone astray at times trying to be funny or engaging, only to realize I totally whiffed or there was an underlying context that I just didn't understand. And for me the conversation is also humbling. In most of the things I do, I am used to being the person others come for advice or to solve problems. Here I feel way, way below average in golf knowledge and experience. But I keep posting because that is part of how I learn and the only way I can become part of the community. And in order to build and sustain golf as a part of my life, I need THP and its community. I need the outlet, the encouragement, and the collective learning. I don't (yet) have the local network or support I need. None of my core group of family, friends, or co-workers golf. I also value this kind of community based on past experiences. I will keep plugging away. I am completely taken by and in love with golfing.

This is really good advice. A little over a year in here, I still feel out of my comfort zone on nearly every post I make. I actually wrote something today regarding THP where I said we. That was a big deal for me. It takes (me) time to get to know people and understand the culture and nuances. I have gone astray at times trying to be funny or engaging, only to realize I totally whiffed or there was an underlying context that I just didn't understand. And for me the conversation is also humbling. In most of the things I do, I am used to being the person others come for advice or to solve problems. Here I feel way, way below average in golf knowledge and experience. But I keep posting because that is part of how I learn and the only way I can become part of the community. And in order to build and sustain golf as a part of my life, I need THP and its community. I need the outlet, the encouragement, and the collective learning. I don't (yet) have the local network or support I need. None of my core group of family, friends, or co-workers golf. I also value this kind of community based on past experiences. I will keep plugging away. I am completely taken by and in love with golfing.
This is where i was completely wrong about THP in the beginning. You dont need to be a club expert or market expert to contribute to good golf conversation

Ugh, this hangover is ridiculous. Damn jack fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#golfjunkie

53f9e49d2c77e70eb0903968846eba9a.jpg

#golfjunkie

53f9e49d2c77e70eb0903968846eba9a.jpg

So glad I saw this. I am in a rental for a week and could not find PGA Tour radio. I have Sirius and it's 208. This car has XM.

266eeee150635434128d3590a856a592.jpg
busy for a Tuesday

So glad I saw this. I am in a rental for a week and could not find PGA Tour radio. I have Sirius and it's 208. This car has XM.

You're welcome

#TeamRookie FTW!!!

This is where i was completely wrong about THP in the beginning. You dont need to be a club expert or market expert to contribute to good golf conversation

Nope.

And along those same lines; I think people would be surprised how many people also have the same question they do at any point in time. With as many people that look at THP, if you have a question, chances are there are going to be a good amount of others that do as well. No one should be afraid to ask - which will then lead to people with the answers providing information - which leads to everyone growing. That's one of the cool things about THP. It's a place to feel comfortable asking anything, knowing you'll be able to get the answer. And sometimes it's straight from the industry source themselves.

The Official Banter Away Thread

Just finished picking up sticks in the yard and mowing the grass for the first time this year. I had to wear my carharts a thermal hoodie and beanie plus gloves this is stupid and I hate it.

Now to either hit the range or play!

Edit- I'm playing too nice 45 not to play on a vacation day

Last edited:
Just finished picking up sticks in the yard and mowing the grass for the first time this year. I had to wear my carharts a thermal hoodie and beanie plus gloves this is stupid and I hate it.

I would have played golf, and then debated if I wanted to mow the lawn.

At the license office waiting while Delaney is taking her driver's test I think I need Xanax my baby is growing up to fast

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Working by myself today and making pizza dough which is the perfect time to catch up on all the THP radio I have missed.

Yeah I was getting ready to mow my lawn too... until 4" of snow got dumped on it!

A league I had been trying to get into for years all of a sudden lost 6 teams.

Super happy to get signed up to play league golf for my first time ever!

This does not suck

4f260bd2e3680d24e6168a4c2d5c521e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back