Iron and wedge offset/lie angle preference

M2Giles

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
Every year when new clubs are released a lot of people make highlights of the amount of offset in the irons and wedges. To the point it almost seems like a meme for saying a club is ruined because it has too much offset. In the end it definitely does come down to personal preference and tour players are a good example of this. Bernhard Langer likes seeing a bunch of offset in his irons, Phil wants a lot in his wedges, and Adam Scott/Webb Simpson likes to see some offset in their irons. On the flip side their are others who dont want to see any offset at all or even prefer a slight onset iron. Jason Day and Rickie Fowler are in this camp. Even on the forum we here comments like this a lot and even though you can change the amount of offset by bending a club strong or weak, it is still something a lot of people look at for a club.

The other thing I think a lot of people dont seem to think about in the whole offset preference is lie angle. Changing the lie angle to me has a much bigger effect on changing start line. Especially how bending an iron flat or upright really changes the direction the face appears to point.

This year I've been trying to figure out what I actually prefer to look at. I've played a wide variety of irons and wedges and ultimately I think I feel more comfortable seeing a bit of offset but with a flatter lie angle. I've started to play a draw recently and this seems to ensure I dont overdraw the ball, while at the same time having a comfortable shape to look at.

What's your preference and why?

As far as offset, I personally think we adapt to whatever it is. I had mixed feelings about how the F9 irons looked and it took no time to adapt. I love, love, love the 4 and 5 irons and they certainly have offset (and junk in the trunk).

I think having the correct lie angle is pretty important and it may be difficult for anybody to know without a fitting or unless the person knows his/her swing quite well.

I don't mind a bit of offset. I play all my irons and wedges 1 flat on lie angle. I have played irons with barely any offset and the they did look great.

Personally, I could care less about offset. If the ball goes where I think I'm aimed, the amount of offset, or lack thereof, is irrelevant to me. Lie angle is more important (mine is 1/2* flat, though I'm happy with standard or 1* flat) to me.

I prefer a little bit of offset but not much. I have been playing cavity back forged iron sets for as long as I can remember and they typically fall in line with that preference. Generally play more bladed 50, 54 anf 58 wedges that have very minimal offset and that suits my eye and game. In terms of lie angles, I set all of my wedges (PW - LW) at 62 degrees and go down 1/2 degree (assuming a 1/2" increase in club length) for each iron about the wedges. Any more upright than that does not bode well with my swing tendency to draw everything from GW - 4 iron, even at the flatter lies.

Offset makes me feel like the club is closed, which in turn I subconsciously (and consciously) open the face.

I like a little off-set in my irons especially the long irons but too much off-set like SGI I don't care for. To me there's a fine line on that. As far as lie angle goes, I'm in left field on that one. I just haven't taken the time to see where I should be and that could be part of my problem. Anyway I just play a standard lie whatever comes standard.

Offset doesn't bother me after a few swings as long as the bottom of the iron isn't as thick as a fairway wood.

I generally don’t mind or notice unless it’s an SGI. Those bother me.

Lie angle is 60* on a 37.5” iron.

Loft for a given club depends on the head design and launch conditions.

I don't like too much offset generally but some is OK. My CF16s would normally be a bit much for my tastes but it hasn't bothered me at all.

Strangely for me, my Fourteen RM-22J wedges also have some offset and it didn't bother me. Except for when opening up the blade on greenside bunker shots. Hated that look and turned to a standard RM-22 SW instead.

My irons have been checked and readjusted to 2° flat of whatever Callaway's standard is. I'd previously bent my wedges at least 1° flat but have played my Fourteens stock for whatever reason.

Back