Callaway XR Irons - THP Review

Since it seems there's a lot of traffic in here, it might be good to link to the thread with the homepage review in it, here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?68758-Callaway-XR-Irons-Review

Your review was one of the main reasons I ended up going with these. I thought for sure I would go with the Berthas or RSi but wasn't impressed with either. Left the shop at a lose for what else I should try. Seen your review and when I went back to the course a few days later I seen they had a XR 7 iron in steel and graphite. Hit the steel and wasn't a fan but the project X graphite had me on the first swing.

Thanks for all the informative, honest reviews you do!

I know these are so last year, but I am still blown away by the ball speeds I can get with them. The cup face is working, I have no doubt about that. I was going through this years line up of irons again today and picked up the XR 7i on whim.

BOOM! There it was again! Ball speeds getting as high as 124, hovering around 120. This was with the stock R flex shaft mind you. Try as I might, I could not get any better than around 119 BS with any of this years irons, or last years, or any others really. It was crazy...crazy good that is.

Having the bay to myself I had a home run derby of sorts and the XR irons were CLEARLY the winner. The dispersion was really good also. Some pulls and thins, as always for me, but most were right down the pipe.

I need to hit these outside some more, but I have sneaking suspicion that my iron testing is all but done. I just can't overlook the extra ball speed with a loss of nothing else really compared to other irons. I'm pretty amazed that I can swing as hard as I want to with R shafts and get great results.

I know these are so last year, but I am still blown away by the ball speeds I can get with them. The cup face is working, I have no doubt about that. I was going through this years line up of irons again today and picked up the XR 7i on whim.

BOOM! There it was again! Ball speeds getting as high as 124, hovering around 120. This was with the stock R flex shaft mind you. Try as I might, I could not get any better than around 119 BS with any of this years irons, or last years, or any others really. It was crazy...crazy good that is.

Having the bay to myself I had a home run derby of sorts and the XR irons were CLEARLY the winner. The dispersion was really good also. Some pulls and thins, as always for me, but most were right down the pipe.

I need to hit these outside some more, but I have sneaking suspicion that my iron testing is all but done. I just can't overlook the extra ball speed with a loss of nothing else really compared to other irons. I'm pretty amazed that I can swing as hard as I want to with R shafts and get great results.

Trust me, Bam, you won't be disappointed when you pull the trigger. For me, they are incredible performers....stock Project X 5.5 graphite. Flag Seekers! Go for it!

Trust me, Bam, you won't be disappointed when you pull the trigger. For me, they are incredible performers....stock Project X 5.5 graphite. Flag Seekers! Go for it![/QUOTshaft

Did you try the recoil before choosing the Px 5.5 ? Debating on which shaft to choose , no demo around here.
gb

After a lot of deliberation I went with the xrp's. They were better for me overall, especially when it comes to distance consistency, and dispersion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Got the first round in of the year with these. Still very happy with last year's purchase.

Thinking of bending these strong to get proper gapping with hybrids. 2 degrees strong reduces bounce by 2 degrees. Not sure how that could impact playability. I hit them very high now and current set is 2 up 1/2 over. Anyone have any input on strengthening? Not worried about gapping on other end as I have through lob to play with and have another Wedge that would fit nicely after set lob if 2 degrees strong. Spec sheet does not indicate bounce specs. Thanks.

For the graphite owers, which shaft did you prefer the Project x sd shafts or the recoils ?
Thanks gb

For the graphite owers, which shaft did you prefer the Project x sd shafts or the recoils ?
Thanks gb

I went recoils but didn't give the stock graphite much comparison because I liked the feel of the recoils better.

I went recoils but didn't give the stock graphite much comparison because I liked the feel of the recoils better.

Do you know what the weight and flex of recoil 460 ? The only Recoil I have seen in the xr is the 660 .
gb

Do you know what the weight and flex of recoil 460 ? The only Recoil I have seen in the xr is the 660 .
gb

It is lighter and launches higher than the 660. They were no upcharge when I bought them. You might check with Callaway to see what graphite is available with which heads. There could be more graphite options now.

Trust me, Bam, you won't be disappointed when you pull the trigger. For me, they are incredible performers....stock Project X 5.5 graphite. Flag Seekers! Go for it![/QUOTshaft

Did you try the recoil before choosing the Px 5.5 ? Debating on which shaft to choose , no demo around here.
gb

Actually, I did not try the recoil before purchasing the PX 5.5. However, a friend of mine has the XR with recoils and I hit them shortly after my purchase. I found the recoils to be excellent. I tested them side by side and I had slightly better dispersion with the PX but the recoils felt slightly softer. I prefer the PX shaft but both are outstanding.

Actually, I did not try the recoil before purchasing the PX 5.5. However, a friend of mine has the XR with recoils and I hit them shortly after my purchase. I found the recoils to be excellent. I tested them side by side and I had slightly better dispersion with the PX but the recoils felt slightly softer.
I prefer the PX shaft but both are outstanding.

I decided to go with the Px 5.5 I landed a nice deal on on them . I am sure they will be fine . Thanks for your help.Gb

Last edited:
Actually, I did not try the recoil before purchasing the PX 5.5. However, a friend of mine has the XR with recoils and I hit them shortly after my purchase. I found the recoils to be excellent. I tested them side by side and I had slightly better dispersion with the PX but the recoils felt slightly softer.
I prefer the PX shaft but both are outstanding.

I decided to go with the Px 5.5 I landed a nice deal on on them . I am sure they will be fine . Thanks for your help.Gb

As it happens I found a retailer close by that has a fitting cart. I got a bunch of shafts and headed to the range.
It turns out I love the the recoils much better than the px . I am a consistency low ball hitter with my irons. I found the recoil are a sweet find for me high boring flight non ballooning flight with them ,,oh they feel just right. I can flight them down if needed.
I just bought a set with the px from golf town pre-owned they have not arrived yet . I check there site again and they have a like new set with the recoils in them and snapped them up . Lucky for me I can return the px set.
Very pumped about getting these in my hands next week.
I tried the M2's earier on my winter vacation , the xr's just just a better fit for me higher longer and more forgiving .
It seems I have come close to an all Callaway bag , GBB Driver , 3 wood , irons and lob wedge , now looking for a 5 or 7 Gbb and sw .. didn't see that coming, from a mostly Tm bag last few years . Cally has some sweet golf gear though out there line up. gb

As it happens I found a retailer close by that has a fitting cart. I got a bunch of shafts and headed to the range.
It turns out I love the the recoils much better than the px . I am a consistency low ball hitter with my irons. I found the recoil are a sweet find for me high boring flight non ballooning flight with them ,,oh they feel just right. I can flight them down if needed.
I just bought a set with the px from golf town pre-owned they have not arrived yet . I check there site again and they have a like new set with the recoils in them and snapped them up . Lucky for me I can return the px set.
Very pumped about getting these in my hands next week.
I tried the M2's earier on my winter vacation , the xr's just just a better fit for me higher longer and more forgiving .
It seems I have come close to an all Callaway bag , GBB Driver , 3 wood , irons and lob wedge , now looking for a 5 or 7 Gbb and sw .. didn't see that coming, from a mostly Tm bag last few years . Cally has some sweet golf gear though out there line up. gb

Good deal. You will like them. Great game improving performance without feeling or looking clunky.

Back