100 greatest public courses in America

dthogey

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I apologize if this thread has already been started. But I was just reading through the Golf Digest list of America's top 100 golf courses.

I was surprised to see how many courses Michigan has on the list!

I have been very fortunate and been able to play 12 of these courses.

How many of these courses have you played?

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/americas-100-greatest-public-courses-ranking

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Man that’s a lot of really nice tracks on that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that’s a lot of really nice tracks on that list.

+1
CC.jpg

I’ve played 23 of them and would love to get to another two or three of them this year. I’m fortunate to have The Classic at Madden’s Resort, #59 on the list, only 2 miles from our summer home. I play it about a dozen times each summer and their restaurant is one of our favorites, we were there 2 weeks ago. Whenever my wife decides to stop working, I’ll get their annual unlimited play membership. Behind Whistling Straits and Spyglass, it’s the toughest course I’ve ever played. It has a slope rating of 149 from the back tees.

Last edited:
Only 8 for me

I’ve played two: TPC Sawgrass (Stadium Course), and Torrey Pines North Course. However, I’ll probably play Quintero GC in Peoria, AZ sometime this summer to make it three.

I’ve played 7 total, 5 of 8 in Oregon and 6 of 9 in the PNW. I am a bit ashamed that I haven’t played the 3 in Central Oregon. I have to fix that soon.

Only 4 for me: Tobacco Road, Makai, Poppy Hills, and Torrey Pines (North). I'm also hoping to add the 3 in Central Oregon before I move this summer. Great list!

Only played 7 ... MAYBE 8 because I honestly can't remember if I played Pine Needles with dad back in the day.

Definitely more I need to check off.

Sadly, only 3.

Played 11 of them. If we could remove Streamsong Black and Pine Barrens, this list might get more respectable again.

100 greatest public courses in America

Just 2 of them for me. But there are 4 close to me that I haven’t even driven by. Shame. Shame. Shame.

giphy.gif

4 for me. streamsong red and blue, world woods pine barren and harbour town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only 2 so far, Virtues and Cascata. I do plan to play at least 2 more this year, in the Quarry at Giants Ridge and the Fortune at Wilderness Bay. I might also try to play the Donald Ross course in French Lick.

Haven't played any yet. I am going to Bandon for my 40th birthday next year so I will have 4 off the list. I also need to go play French Lick since it's 1:15 from the house. I think there are a couple more in Indy that I could play too.

Its pretty amazing that ten of the top 100 reside in Michigan with our rather short season. I've played eight of the ten and they are all top notch.

Thanks for sharing this list!

I was able to count three courses on the list that I have played. (The Homestead, Cog Hill, and PGA West) I was surprised to see how many famous courses are public. One week in Bandon would help cross a few more courses off!

Interesting how some states have so many on this list. Wisconsin and Minnesota where I’ve lived much of my life have 13 courses on this list with a relatively tiny 3.4% of the U.S. population combined. Michigan also has ten on this list and I haven’t played any of those. I have no excuse to not make the 3-4 hour drive to play the ones in WI & MN that I haven’t yet and go visit my best friend in Michigan and knock out another handful of courses. The other thing I love is the ones in MN are affordable - all under $110 for peak greens fee and most can be played in the afternoon for $35-$65. There is a 36 hole facility just 1/2 mile from the #59 course on this list that is 90% as good. Last year I joined that course in July and the head pro gave a half price deal on the season pass($1100 for unlimited golf with cart and range balls). The quality of the public and private courses is outstanding and affordable here, especially compared to all the resort courses that were close to me when living in California that would never be close to making this list with there $175 - $250 greens fees.

Last edited:
My number is 13 and I look forward to increasing it in the years to come. Bandon trip in 2020 and also hoping to play Streamsong Black in November.

My number is 13 and I look forward to increasing it in the years to come. Bandon trip in 2020 and also hoping to play Streamsong Black in November.

sooooo need to do a bandon trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only two on the list in TX; Omni Barton Creek Austin, Fazio Course (85) and TPC San Antonio, Oaks (90). I have a few rounds on both.

I was surprised at how many on the list are in OR, one of these days I'm going to have to hook up with Frank and play a couple.

Just one for me, but it is #1 on the list. Hoping to hit some more of the Monterey area courses on the list sometime soon.

7 for me. Most of them due to the guy who was in charge of setting up sales meetings at the company I use to work for was a golfer and he picked some nice destinations.

Back