Stuggy

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm getting back into the game. Are there other manufacturers like Ping who do a self fitting? I'm looking to pick up a used set of game improvement irons and it seems that Ping makes it fairly easy to work out what dot you are in their system.

https://youtu.be/qMZZ88LEj2I

Stuggy there are some people that believe static measurement are not the best way to fit. I know they have an agenda in the above video but it brings up some interesting points.

I would recommend finding a shop with a Mizuno fitting cart. Their shaft optimizer will quickly (within a few swings) make recommendations for the shaft you need, along with flex, lie, and length. Nothing says you have to buy Mizuno, or new clubs for that matter.

https://youtu.be/qMZZ88LEj2I

Stuggy there are some people that believe static measurement are not the best way to fit. I know they have an agenda in the above video but it brings up some interesting points.
+1
AA.jpg

So flex and lie would be consistent across manufacturers? At least for my level of play. So if I was a blue dot ping I could use that lie for other clubs? I will see if there is mizuno fitting close to me.

So flex and lie would be consistent across manufacturers? At least for my level of play. So if I was a blue dot ping I could use that lie for other clubs? I will see if there is mizuno fitting close to me.

Not in terms of number of degrees upright or flat from standard, but the actual measurement, say 61* for a 5i. Lofts and lie angles can vary from one OEM to another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend finding a shop with a Mizuno fitting cart. Their shaft optimizer will quickly (within a few swings) make recommendations for the shaft you need, along with flex, lie, and length. Nothing says you have to buy Mizuno, or new clubs for that matter.

The Mizuno shaft optimizer needs to be treated like the Ping static info - as a starting point. I jut did the Mizuno shaft optimizer and it said I should play a lie angle 1* up from their standard which is standard for most other brands. I actually play 2* flat from my brands standard (or 1 flat from Mizuno standard). If I played what the optimizer recommended my shots would start left and keep going left. I know because I’ve tried it.

The shaft recommendations were spot on with what numerous full fittings have reaffirmed for me though (130 & x-stiff). I think the problem is the shaft used is so much softer than what I need so it goes toe down too much, leading the system to think I need something more upright.

Flex is definitely not consistent across manufacturers. It's not even consistent within the same brand.

Lie angle is slightly different for each manufacturer. Titleist is more upright, mizuno more flat.

If you want to self fit yourself I would focus on what feels good for your shaft. Then I would take whatever the static fit gives you for length and lie angle.

Then when you they actually get to you, see if you like the ball flight. If you hit too many draws, bend them flat and too fades bend upright.

There are so many opportunities for a free fitting that should give you a good idea for shaft and lie angle.

There are so many opportunities for a free fitting that should give you a good idea for shaft and lie angle.

Like M2 said, most big box golf stores will help you with a basic fitting for free using OEM fitting carts. When you find something that works you can take note of that oems length and lie.

I know that the PGA Tour Super Store near me will bend the lie for free if you buy a used set from them.

Back