hedley_lamarr08

Happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With the adjustable necks on most fairway woods, how many guys have went back to high lofted woods vs hybrids? I'm starting to think 4 wood and 6 wood type settings then to a 4 hybrid could be a great set up.

With the adjustable necks on most fairway woods, how many guys have went back to high lofted woods vs hybrids? I'm starting to think 4 wood and 6 wood type settings then to a 4 hybrid could be a great set up.

I've played a 7 wood (Cleveland Launcher) for about... 7-8 years and have taken it out of the bag for 2019. It was a very, very good club for me.

I changed my irons last year (G15 to G400) and picked up about 10-15 yards on my 5 iron. I didn't see much increase on the 8-wedge end of the bag but the 5-6 irons stretched out a bit, which was good as my yardage gaps on that end of the iron set weren't what I wanted. I also took the 4 iron out of the bag so I decided to go 3W (250-260), 5W (230-235), 4h (220).

When considering 7 wood vs. hybrid the main things to consider are: 7W has a longer shaft which can lead to less consistent strike but will usually lead to higher ballspeed, higher ballflight and more spin. I hit my 7 wood about 225, very high... nice and straight. The only thing I didn't like about it was that into the wind it would get murdered. Too high and too much spin. That said, I see a ton of 5 woods (and some 7's) in PGA tour pro bags, having that extra distance and height can be a great thing.

I have used a 7W for several years now. No issues really, not a hybrid fan and don't carry any. 7W is easy to launch and have enough spin to hold greens. Provides a good gapping for me.

I've never really gotten along with hybrids. I've had a handful but try as I might, they've never looked appealing at setup. Just ... awkward. So I've never been able to get any real confidence with them.

So yeah, I'm back to a 5W and 7W in my bag; both of which I love.

I just got fit into a new full bag, and no hybrid wound up in there. I performed better with a 7W Epic Flash, with +2° loft and a draw bias setting. For me, it was much easier to hit, and more consistent, than any of the hybrids I could try.

I could have done the 9W and had the same loft, but opted for the 7W because it is adjustable. The EF 9 is not...

Waiting for my irons and wedges to show up, and then see if I do as well as I did during the fitting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my 7 wood. It's great for long par 3's and fairway wood shots. I can't count on a hybrid staying strait for me.

7w all day. I hit it farther and higher than a hybrid

I loved my 7 wood, but since my swing speed has increased the shaft in it just isn't working in more. I thought about replacing the shaft and still may, but that was just as much money as a new Steelhead from CPO's outlet so a new hybrid out weighed a beat up 7 wood with a new shaft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7w all day. I hit it farther and higher than a hybrid

That’s me. I couldn’t hit a hybrid over your head. It was ridiculous. I tried a ton of them, and then went to the 9W. Bombs!!! Same with the 7W.

I’ll always keep my titleist 913 7 wood but it doesn’t get much bag time these days. I carry a ping G400 5 wood at 18.5* and then a G400 4 hybo at 22*. Gapping works well for me.

I love my 7 wood and use it as often as I can.

7 wood for the win.

I took my 3i out and replaced it with the 7 wood has been the best thing I have ever done. It is the most consistent stick in the bag, to the point that I am finding that instead of pulling my 4i I will choke up on the 7wood and easy swing it.

Never gotten along with hybrids even though I tried every year when the new releases came out.

I have played 3w (that has changed several times over the years) and then original Callaway Steelhead 7w & 9w both with DGX100 Lite steel shafts.

A few years back I realized that Fairway Woods just work better for my sweeper type swing so I'll just keep playing the 7w and 9w until they break or I can't swing them anymore.

The 7w is 20* and 9w is 24* so more like a modern day 5w and 7w.

My 7 wood is an oldie but goodie and is never leaving the bag,although I also have a 4H in there, Not sure why.

My 7W and 4H are almost identical distance wise. I just am much more consistent with the 7W. Right now I am thinking about going from 5i to 7W to either 5W or Heavenwood then to the 3W.

I too am a heavenwood over hybrid guy. I go from 5 iron to 7w-5w-3w. I tried carrying 4 and 5 hybrids in early March instead of a 5 iron and 7w and was just inconsistent. I still sometimes draw the 7w too much or hit the 5 iron thin/fat, but the hybrids were going high/low and left/right.

My 7W and 4H are almost identical distance wise. I just am much more consistent with the 7W. Right now I am thinking about going from 5i to 7W to either 5W or Heavenwood then to the 3W.

I dropped the 3w and do a 5w & 7w set up. I found off tee the 3w was just as inconsistent as my driver and 20 yards shorter. Then off the ground for me I would have too many bad contact shots with the 3w, but the 5w & 7w were 97% of the time spot on at only a loss of a few yards. I have come to grips with not reaching par 5's in two.

7w & 5w are so consistent for me I am thinking of bagging a 9w.

I dropped the 3w and do a 5w & 7w set up. I found off tee the 3w was just as inconsistent as my driver and 20 yards shorter. Then off the ground for me I would have too many bad contact shots with the 3w, but the 5w & 7w were 97% of the time spot on at only a loss of a few yards. I have come to grips with not reaching par 5's in two.

7w & 5w are so consistent for me I am thinking of bagging a 9w.

Lately everything is coming alive for me distance wise. There is only one par 5 locally I don’t feel confident I can reach in 2. My 3W is consistent and long for me. My problem is I am struggling with hybrids and my 7W and 4H have about the same distance. I do sometimes find I need something between the 7 and 3 woods though. That is why I am thinking about either a 5 or Heavenwood

Lately everything is coming alive for me distance wise. There is only one par 5 locally I don’t feel confident I can reach in 2. My 3W is consistent and long for me. My problem is I am struggling with hybrids and my 7W and 4H have about the same distance. I do sometimes find I need something between the 7 and 3 woods though. That is why I am thinking about either a 5 or Heavenwood

My vote is the 5w.

Why are hybrids so popular if everyone seems to have trouble with them?

I gave my hybrid to a friend, that thing would just go left every time.

My vote is the 5w.

Why are hybrids so popular if everyone seems to have trouble with them?

I gave my hybrid to a friend, that thing would just go left every time.

It’s funny. I know some guys that love them and swear by them and others that hate them with a passion. I don’t think there is an in between. I like the idea of a hybrid, especially out of the rough vs a fairway wood. I just don’t have any confidence that I am going to hit it well when I step up to it.

My old hybrid was a hook machine. I got fitted with a tileist rep and asked about 5w or 7w. After a few swings he didn't think they would be a good idea as I get a lot of height and it would be harder to keep a 7w low than a 3 hybrid. So I ended up with a 3 hybrid setup with max fade. So far so good. I wanted to try 7 wood, but seems to not be a suitable fit for my swing.

I still have a 7 wood in the bag. It’s a good utility club out of the rough or if you are shooting to an uphill green from a downhill lie.

I carry a 7 wood along with 2 hybrids. Love the 7 wood.

I wouldn't ditch a hybrid entirely in favor of a fairway wood - I think they're different enough clubs to justify carrying both. Hybrids will have shorter shafts, and you swing them more like an iron, which I think makes them more effective from rough and easier from uneven lies. Fairway woods have longer shafts and deeper CGs, which helps with launch and distance.

I think you have a good plan to carry an 18-19 deg. fairway wood and 22-23 deg. hybrid.

This year, I switched from hybrids to a 7W and 9W. So far, I’ve been very pleased with the improvement in consistency and accuracy. The 9W in particular is an absolute blast to swing. What a fun club.

Back