2016 Masters Thread & Contest - Amazing Prize

They don't always make a divot. I've seen some pretty clean chips on the green (on tv of course.)

you're right. but I think the risk is too great. just doesn't seem like a shot that should be allowed.

you always have options. nobody guarantees you an easy lag, so you made need to putt far away from the hole. just because you hit a crappy approach doesn't mean you have the right to gouge a chunk out of the green and not give it an ability to recover in an area where they may want to putt the hole later that week.

it's also why I think the green on #6 at riviera and any other similar design is silly.

Couldn't one say that same thing about a tee box, fairway or anything else? It goes back to the idea that those that go out earlier have a distinct advantage each day. I never like the idea of the dictation that one must use a certain club on any shot. Thats the beauty of golf.

I missed his tee shot on 18. Did he hit the trees right in front of the tee box?

Not right in front of the tee box, but a little further down. Two straight hooks, with the first being the worst of the two.

Does Stenson even own a driver anymore? Can't remember the last time I saw him hit one.

Haas hits his 3rd from the fairway in the hole for an eagle on 13

Hole out for eagle on 13 for Bill Haas!

Watching the feature group is painful.

'We have a heavy white fight'

Someone fix that teleprompter!

Does Stenson even own a driver anymore? Can't remember the last time I saw him hit one.

He only hits it when he's feeling especially confident. He hits his 3 wood just as far as a lot of guys hit driver anyway.

I was just about to make the same freakin comment! Haha. I love it.

Those pants should be banned by the Auguster Green Coats.

Good ole Auguster, home to Bubber Watson.

Couldn't one say that same thing about a tee box, fairway or anything else? It goes back to the idea that those that go out earlier have a distinct advantage each day. I never like the idea of the dictation that one must use a certain club on any shot. Thats the beauty of golf.

you can pick where you put your peg

there's a reasonable expectation that people take divots in fairways. the rule is stupid, I think it should be a free drop, but there's definitely at least an expectation that it does happen. and there are still ways to hit a good shot if you end up in that situation.

I don't think there's any expectation that you could walk up to a big man made divot on a green.

I just know that if I walk up to my ball in the fairway in a divot, I'm annoyed but oh well. if I walk up to my ball in a bunker and its in a footprint, I'll cuss the jerk that didn't rake but I'm the guy who hit it in the bunker so it's still on me. but if I walk up to hit a putt and there's a divot in my way and its irreparable, it just feels like that shouldn't happen.

Bubba Watson played the round in 3.5.
That says so much right now.

there's a reasonable expectation that people take divots in fairways. the rule is stupid, I think it should be a free drop, but there's definitely at least an expectation that it does happen. and there are still ways to hit a good shot if you end up in that situation.

I don't think there's any expectation that you could walk up to a big man made divot on a green.

I just know that if I walk up to my ball in the fairway in a divot, I'm annoyed but oh well. if I walk up to my ball in a bunker and its in a footprint, I'll cuss the jerk that didn't rake but I'm the guy who hit it in the bunker so it's still on me. but if I walk up to hit a putt and there's a divot in my way and its irreparable, it just feels like that shouldn't happen.

I'm sure the Augusta staff has repaired it already!

Well if you land in the divot on the green it probably happened that day so it was obviously a bad shot and you shouldn't have ended up there. If not the course should have a stash of area to use to patch up the green should it be needed.

Bubba Watson played the round in 3.5.
That says so much right now.
The first group out on the weekend is always very fast. Knowing you have no shot opens the door to all manner of ham & egg play.

I think you missed my point. The point being that if you land in a divot in the middle of the fairway, your shot is impacted by those that played in front of you. Land on the green in a divot, cleat mark or anything else, the same thing occurred. Hence the reason that the nonsense that its just a golfer vs the course is not accurate. Golfers are impacted but the players in front of them. Whether that be how they handle the golf course or the amount of time they take to make a decision.

You as a golfer hope they think of it the same way you do, but sadly, in reference to any of the above, they don't.

Well if you land in the divot on the green it probably happened that day so it was obviously a bad shot and you shouldn't have ended up there. If not the course should have a stash of area to use to patch up the green should it be needed.

true story: I am awful with uphill putts. like really bad. what if I want to pitch it every time? then you come up in the next group and you relish those putts. neither of us hit a bad shot. but my decision now adversely affects you in a way that "rub of the green" just doesn't apply.

now, full disclosure: I'm only pushing this because the masters live coverage blows right now lol

The first group out on the weekend is always very fast. Knowing you have no shot opens the door to all manner of ham & egg play.
I think he meant that is slow and should show how hard the course is, but I could be wrong. That was also for 2 people since he played with a marker.

Or that not everyone is fast even if they are good

Correct. That doesn't change the fact that the course is not a 2 hour difference for some.

true story: I am awful with uphill putts. like really bad. what if I want to pitch it every time? then you come up in the next group and you relish those putts. neither of us hit a bad shot. but my decision now adversely affects you in a way that "rub of the green" just doesn't apply.

now, full disclosure: I'm only pushing this because the masters live coverage blows right now lol
Depends on how much money you lose to me if it was a private club, but a privately owned course also has the right to tell you not to come back if you actually did that every hole.

Yup Lahiris pants are ridiculous. Raise your standards people, this is Augusta not some goat track.

Correct. That doesn't change the fact that the course is not a 2 hour difference for some.
It is when you have to back off and touch your security towel before every shot.

I think you missed my point. The point being that if you land in a divot in the middle of the fairway, your shot is impacted by those that played in front of you. Land on the green in a divot, cleat mark or anything else, the same thing occurred. Hence the reason that the nonsense that its just a golfer vs the course is not accurate. Golfers are impacted but the players in front of them. Whether that be how they handle the golf course or the amount of time they take to make a decision.

You as a golfer hope they think of it the same way you do, but sadly, in reference to any of the above, they don't.

I know exactly what you're saying. what I'm saying is that there is no reasonable expectation that there could be a man made crater on a putting green. that expectation exists everywhere else, but not the green. and there's nothing in the rules stopping me from doing it at will. it just seems like something that should be a rule.

and I'll say it again, I'm not pushing this because it's my cause. I'm just bored with the live coverage online right now and this is more fun haha

Back