Super Stroke
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basket Case

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    795 Posts
    Classic case of playing golf swing instead of golf. You can't play golf if you're entire mind is devoted to every single aspect of your swing. You can work on all that stuff on the range, that is where golf swing is played. How I stopped doing this was getting reps in on the range, but when I got to the course turning this off and focusing on the golf shot, not the golf swing. I have built a routine. Stand behind the ball, take in the shot, the wind, the lie and pick a target in the distance, then pick an intermediate target on the ground in front of the ball for alignment purposes. Step up to the ball and take one practice swing with no swing thoughts. The only note I take during the practice swing is where the club impacts the ground. This helps me put the ball in the right position in my stance (especially useful on weird lies like sidehill, ball above or below feet, etc.). Next set the club head behind the ball pointed at the intermediate target, set my feet, then set my hands, and do a last little shuffle with my feet to make sure I feel comfortable over the ball and then just take a nice hard swing at it. Generally the results are fine and from time to time I hit a bad shot, but that's golf. You must realize no matter how good you get you're not going to hit every shot perfectly so expecting bad shots should be part of your thought process. A bad shot does not mean you need to make swing changes it just means you hit a bad shot. The only swing adjustment I allow myself to make during a round is tempo. I can swing harder or slower to find the speed where I am making solid contact that day, but I am not going to make any adjustments to posture, arm position, new grip, attempting to hit a certain swing path, etc. The entire thought process during a round is on strategy, target, and alignment and that is it.
    Epic Flash 10.5* EvenFlow Black 65g 6.0
    917 F2 16.5* HZRDUS EvenFlow White 75g 6.0
    CBX 119 20* hybrid with EvenFlow Blue 70g 6.0
    JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 R
    Vokey SM7 54.08 M Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Hi Toe 60 KBS Wedge 2.0
    Precision Milled BHB02 Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Proud member of TEEm in 2019!!

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    Classic case of playing golf swing instead of golf. You can't play golf if you're entire mind is devoted to every single aspect of your swing. You can work on all that stuff on the range, that is where golf swing is played. How I stopped doing this was getting reps in on the range, but when I got to the course turning this off and focusing on the golf shot, not the golf swing. I have built a routine. Stand behind the ball, take in the shot, the wind, the lie and pick a target in the distance, then pick an intermediate target on the ground in front of the ball for alignment purposes. Step up to the ball and take one practice swing with no swing thoughts. The only note I take during the practice swing is where the club impacts the ground. This helps me put the ball in the right position in my stance (especially useful on weird lies like sidehill, ball above or below feet, etc.). Next set the club head behind the ball pointed at the intermediate target, set my feet, then set my hands, and do a last little shuffle with my feet to make sure I feel comfortable over the ball and then just take a nice hard swing at it. Generally the results are fine and from time to time I hit a bad shot, but that's golf. You must realize no matter how good you get you're not going to hit every shot perfectly so expecting bad shots should be part of your thought process. A bad shot does not mean you need to make swing changes it just means you hit a bad shot. The only swing adjustment I allow myself to make during a round is tempo. I can swing harder or slower to find the speed where I am making solid contact that day, but I am not going to make any adjustments to posture, arm position, new grip, attempting to hit a certain swing path, etc. The entire thought process during a round is on strategy, target, and alignment and that is it.

Some great ideas. Thank you so much for your help. I don’t have a routine. I will take your suggestion and develop one to clear my mind. I just want to 3njoy the game again. Thanks again!

~Gramps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grandpa K For This Useful Post:

robrandalgz (06-10-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTY View Post
    Zen golf by Dr. Joseph Parent is a great book, or audiobook, to help with quieting the mind and other really helpful tools. Worth every penny, and then some.
    I just wanted to thank you for recommending this one. I'm about halfway through 'Zen Golf' and I'm loving it. Totally better way to look at golf than most of us embrace. Highly recommend this to anyone who struggles or is struggling.
    You ain't bonafide.

WITB:
    G400 Max
    0311 Gen 2 XF Irons/Wedges
    Rogue Hybrids
    F9 FW
    Tour Spider Putter

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boone For This Useful Post:

robrandalgz (06-10-2019), SHIFTY (06-10-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I just wanted to thank you for recommending this one. I'm about halfway through 'Zen Golf' and I'm loving it. Totally better way to look at golf than most of us embrace. Highly recommend this to anyone who struggles or is struggling.
    His book on putting is very good also.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Callaway EPIC Flash SZ TD 9* GD AD BB 7X
    testing UST Mamiya Lin-Q 6F5 (thanks Obedt)
    Titleist TS2 15* PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Titleist TS2 21* Fuji Atmos red 6X
    Callaway EPIC Flash 11 wood Evenflow black 7X
    Callaway CF19 APEX Pro 5-AW PX Catalyst 100 6.0
    Titleist SM7 54* PX Catalyst 100 6.0
    Titleist SM7 58* PX Catalyst 100
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jim54 For This Useful Post:

Boone (06-09-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Go back to a drill that you can do well. For me it is the simple 9 to 3 Drill. Play simple golf with a club that you can control with that drill (whatever it is). Feet together drill also works for me with most clubs to keep balls in play at half distance. As does slow one piece takeaway drills where I half swing (a combo on the 9 to 3). But you need to have this stuff worked out at home or on the range so that you can always go back to it. If you are so stifled that you can't even stand over the ball - stop playing rounds untli you have worked out some simple fundamental drills because you are making it worse. And remember everyone's game falls apart at some time or another - but the ones who can get it back quick are the ones that have a few time tested drills that they can fall back on to keep it in play.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to davidmcc669 For This Useful Post:

Grandpa K (06-10-2019)