Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
When initially thinking about my iron set for the Morgan Cup, I considered a “Frankenset,” that would be a blend of Cobra cb/mbs and FTBs. Of course, I went with the F9s, but I put together this set on my own for fun. Here it is from wedges through irons, all Cobra:

60 degree King Black variable grind
56 degree King Black variable grind
mb gap wedge (weakened to 51)
mb pw (weakened to 47)
cb 9 iron (weakened to 43)
FTB 9 iron (strengthened to 39)
FTB 8 iron (strengthened to 34)
FTB 7 iron (strengthened to 29)
FTB 6 iron (strengthened to 25)

With this set I will add in:

either my F9 5 iron or a 23 degree hybrid
18 degree hybrid
3 wood
F9 driver

I am hoping to play this setup sometime this week. What unusual set have you all put together that really worked for you?

I blended the C200 long irons with the short irons of the V6. There was two of one number I believe. That’s as weird as I’ve gone but I dig your set!

I love funky setups. I've got some uniqueness with multiple irons at the same length and 2 drivers as a mess around.

Down to only 1 F9?? You hit those so well though!

Down to only 1 F9?? You hit those so well though!

This is just an extra “for fun” set. As per @McLovin’s metaphors, the F9s are the dependable, long term relationship, the Frankenset is a dalliance that likely could never work out.

Well, the Frankenset has taken the first spot in the bag. I have modified it from the original post as follows:

F9 4 and 5 irons
FTB 6 through 9 bent one degree strong
Black cb 9 iron bent one degree weak
Black mb pw bent one degree weak
King Black 52 degree classic grind
King Black 58 degree wide low grind

This set gives me everything I could ever want for my game. It gives my power and forgiveness in the long irons. It gives me a players distance iron through the 9 iron. It gives me a players iron in the wedges, that I can flight and which throws darts. The weakest part of my game this year has been my wedges and now I am feeling very confident anywhere from 135 yards and in.

Today, I shot a very good score on an extremely difficult course and I felt confident with every single iron and wedge. I am really excited for the rest of the golf year.

That is an awesome Frankenset you've put together, sweet!

After I played my round yesterday, I had this bag sitting on the practice green to snap this photo. Some guy literally approached me and asked if I would sell my clubs. I have never had that happen before, but these black irons/wedges do look so bad *ss.

Attachments

• BD6C298C-93CC-433D-833E-26CF0E525C81.jpeg
    BD6C298C-93CC-433D-833E-26CF0E525C81.jpeg
    992.2 KB · Views: 1
I had a really nice 9 holes this morning before work with this Frankenset/flow set. Earlier in the year, it didn’t seem to work, but now the gaps are all coming together and it seems to be giving me what I want/need at both ends of the bag. I really like having the cb/mb for 135 yards and in. Then on the other side, I can stretch my 4 iron to about 220 for approach shots and longer for a tee club on short par 4s. I probably hit more greens with the F9 irons, but I am seeing more real birdie chances with this set.

Back