Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

Picked up the 4H this week - only one round but it was a pleasure to hit. Far easier then then iron it replaces and more compact then a traditional hybrid, which I prefer. Looking forward to a few rounds with it this week on courses where it will come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want the 5h. Hit the 4 so good yesterday and in previous rounds.

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys to fit in between my 5 iron (23* Big Bertha) and a Heavenwood I have on the way. Is the 4 hybrid the way to go here?

How are the gaps working out between BB 5 iron and Apex hybrid? Lofts are the same aren't they?

How are the gaps working out between BB 5 iron and Apex hybrid? Lofts are the same aren't they?
Yes the lofts are the same. I need some more time to give an accurate assessment as the season hasn't quite started up here.

I'm a short knocker but the 4h proved to be a reliable 195/200 yard club for me today. It gave me a real shot at birdie 3x today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite hybrid ever ever ever ever.

Had a shot with the 5hy today from trouble about 205 out up and over trees and to 4 feet. Got some reactions from the kids, and just plain felt fantastic.

The conditions at the range were a little sloppy, so I was having a much easier time hitting this 2hy off of the deck compared to my 3 wood, something I'll definitely have to remember when playing in wet conditions. Shortened a 1/2" turned out to be just what fits the gap (Thanks Garret from Callaway!). The distance #s here don't necessarily mean anything but shouldn't be too far off, as I would need to check the loft (VCSC100 doesn't have a 2hy) and I'd have to double check which wood would put me at a comparable loft to the 2hy... but the ball speed retention is about what you would expect from this hybrid. I tend to have a lower ball flight and tighter dispersion with this compared to my old Adams idea2014, but that could be due to the shaft (fit for, and shortened) or that it doesn't seem to be as draw biased.
d658e019a46e0504a34ba0d79bc97250.jpg
ecab8532cfb0e526a698b31210834271.jpg

So similar swings, but the 2nd one was slightly thin and towards the toe and yielded a 4mph difference in ball speed and a loss of about 7 yards carry. Not too shabby for a hybrid that is easier for me to control the ball and avoid the dreaded balloon.

Before I drone on too much, I must express my enjoyment for the sound/feel. My biggest complaint about my old Adams 2014 was that most hits sounded the same leaving me confused on some mishits that were more penal than the sound would suggest. In my short time with this club, I have developed an affinity for the sharp, but not too metallic thwack on well struck shots. Thin and toe shots are slightly muted and give instant and needed feedback without being overly penal. It is a lot easier to get grooved in with this on the range as you can hear/feel your mistakes and use that information for your next swing. Overall, this is just a very solid offering that is quickly becoming one of my favorite clubs in the bag.

Last edited:
The Apex 4H is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, have played it 3 rounds now and I actually hit it better then a more traditional sized hybrid. The club is much more reliable and comfortable in my hands then the XR for example. The club plays to a reliable yardage and flights on such a strong trajectory. Once I figured out the right ball position and setup to play it in things clicked and the results have been solid.

Borrowing Neb's for the last round, I was quite impressed with how hot the ball seemed to come off the face, I saw some nice distances, especially compared to the D200, but where I need to get more comfortable with it was in the forgiveness, I found the D200 way more forgiving on off hits, which happen regularly for me, but I really loved the look at address. Very clean, obviously quite a bit smaller than I'm used to, but off the fairway and the rough, it was a nice club to put through it's paces, I'll be off to the range later today or tomorrow to test a bit more.

It hit me today why I love this club so much. Because it plays so much like my Altitude irons. Little to no offset, slim look, and great results. Lower spin than the Altitudes and I flight them a bit lower, but its so good for me.

I'm considering dropping the 3 wood altogether and going with the 18

Had a weird lie in the rough yesterday with low hanging branches forcing a low draw. The 2hy reacted nicely through the rough and I was able to shape the shot as needed for better results than I expected. The club head is compact yet has a heft to it that inspires confidence in such shots that I have not experienced with bigger/ more forgiving hybrids in the past.

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on the apex 5h. Was hitting it side by side with the Xr Os hybrid. The xr os hooks more while the apex is more accurate but distance is shorter. But you can't best the sound coming from the apex. Too addictive. This will replace my 816h1 which I find it so difficult to hit well.

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on the apex 5h. Was hitting it side by side with the Xr Os hybrid. The xr os hooks more while the apex is more accurate but distance is shorter. But you can't best the sound coming from the apex. Too addictive. This will replace my 816h1 which I find it so difficult to hit well.
Nice! Enjoy it, they're silly solid hybrids.

I enjoy that they're not designed to be distance hounds, the more iron like distances really have allowed me to be much more confident pulling them out for shots on the course. Plus, the flight and descent angle as made them pretty point and shoot for me.

Topped a drive on a short par 4 today, left me with about 215 to the flag and the ball buried in the rough. Pulled out the 3 hybrid and hit a smooth shot right at the pin. Ended up rolling past and off the green, but I was happy with the result. When I swing these nice and easy they really result in a great ball flight. So far I'm hitting the Apex hybrids much better than my last set (BioCell). Much more consistent for me.

My Apex 5h is not leaving my bag anytime soon. It's perfect for 185-190 yd shots for me without any of the wild variations I was finding with my former XR 5h.

If you are on the fence, jump over it.

I just added the 5H, the 4H has been such a great addition I figured it was worth it to add another.

I'm hitting my 5hy so well I'm thinking of adding a 4hy or 3hy to the bag.

I'm hitting my 5hy so well I'm thinking of adding a 4hy or 3hy to the bag.

The 4 and 5 are just weapons for me.

Its crazy, when we first SAW the shape, I was apprehensive as heck, but hitting it at the ECPC was the best decision EVER for me. I'm pretty sure I sound like a broken record on my love of these clubs, but its true, best hybrids I have ever played, for me.

The 4 and 5 are just weapons for me.

Its crazy, when we first SAW the shape, I was apprehensive as heck, but hitting it at the ECPC was the best decision EVER for me. I'm pretty sure I sound like a broken record on my love of these clubs, but its true, best hybrids I have ever played, for me.

I haven't been excited about a hybrid since the x2hot pro's. The D9 will be moved out so it will come down to which one fills that yardage gap.

Going to give these another go at my driver fitting this week, time permitting.

What's that, 235 to the hazard, into a hurting wind, 20° Apex puts the ball right into the middle of the pond. Love this club.

The Apex 4H is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, have played it 3 rounds now and I actually hit it better then a more traditional sized hybrid. The club is much more reliable and comfortable in my hands then the XR for example. The club plays to a reliable yardage and flights on such a strong trajectory. Once I figured out the right ball position and setup to play it in things clicked and the results have been solid.

I second that. Hit it much better and more consistent than a bigger head hybrid. Currently gaming the 5h and I expect to be gaming the 4h soon.

Back