OB or Lost Ball on Par 3 - options

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Since we apparently don't have a Rules section here, I figured this was the best place to post this question. So, with the new rule this year that allows a drop in the fairway with a 2 stroke penalty for balls hit OB or lost, how does this apply to a par 3 hole where there's not a real fairway? Some par 3's have a shorter cut that leads up to the green, but I don't think I've ever heard it called a fairway.

Anyone?

Why would the ball need to be dropped in the fairway? Isn't the rule that it needs to be dropped in the vicinity of where the ball went OB.

Why would the ball need to be dropped in the fairway? Isn't the rule that it needs to be dropped in the vicinity of where the ball went OB.

That's never been the rule.

that 2 stroke penalty rule is only in place is the course or competition adopts it as a local rule.

[video=youtube;An-EqBFa2L8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An-EqBFa2L8[/video]

and the local rule that OG seems to be referring to.

Since we apparently don't have a Rules section here, I figured this was the best place to post this question. So, with the new rule this year that allows a drop in the fairway with a 2 stroke penalty for balls hit OB or lost, how does this apply to a par 3 hole where there's not a real fairway? Some par 3's have a shorter cut that leads up to the green, but I don't think I've ever heard it called a fairway.

Anyone?

Guessing here, but wouldn't you just drop at the point it crossed the out of bound line? Hit 3 from that point?

[video=youtube;An-EqBFa2L8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An-EqBFa2L8[/video]

and the local rule that OG seems to be referring to.

I am talking about the scenario from the 2nd video, but using a par 3 hole as the example. Since many par 3 holes don't have a "fairway", how should one proceed in attempting to comply with the RoG (that's Rules of Golf... not Rule of George's).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Guessing here, but wouldn't you just drop at the point it crossed the out of bound line? Hit 3 from that point?
No. Many people do that, but it's not IAW the RoG. That's the proper procedure for a penalty area/hazard.

I am talking about the scenario from the 2nd video, but using a par 3 hole as the example. Since many par 3 holes don't have a "fairway", how should one proceed in attempting to comply with the RoG (that's Rules of Golf... not Rule of George's).

I know you were, but posted both for reference for those who don't know.

Anyway, MY answer would be not to use this rule and hit another ball from the tee since it's a par 3.

Dropping in the fairway is an option, not a mandate.

Anyway, MY answer would be not to use this rule and hit another ball from the tee since it's a par 3.

and this is how my only hole in one... I mean three will happen.

You would be hitting 4 from that point, IIRC. The drop would be 3 to account for the distance portion of the penalty.

You would be hitting 4 from that point, IIRC. The drop would be 3 to account for the distance portion of the penalty.

That is correct.

Hmmm... that's what I would probably do, too, but I still wonder if there's an option to use this rule somehow.

Isn't there a "drop zone" on most par 3's? Or are you seriously losing balls OB or into the woods?

Is it really true that the closely mowed area leading up to a green on a par 3 isn't called or considered fairway?

Fairway is defined as any grass cut to fairway height or less. If your course adopts the local rule, that would include closely mown approach areas, or a tee box if that's the only fairway length grass on the hole.

There's also a provision for adopting the rule, but excluding certain holes. If there's OB on a par 3, but no reasonable drop area, it might make sense to not allow use of the rule there.

I'm not sure most courses will adopt this rule and in any case you wouldn't be allowed to drop closer to the hole fairway or not. On a par 3 I would never use this rule since it would seem better to just re-tee.

Isn't there a "drop zone" on most par 3's? Or are you seriously losing balls OB or into the woods?
Eh, no necessarily me, but it has crossed my mind how this rule might apply watching playing partners before.

I'm not sure most courses will adopt this rule and in any case you wouldn't be allowed to drop closer to the hole fairway or not. On a par 3 I would never use this rule since it would seem better to just re-tee.
I disagree, I'd think many would adopt it in attempt to speed up the pace of play.

Is it really true that the closely mowed area leading up to a green on a par 3 isn't called or considered fairway?
Maybe it is. I've never called it that or heard it called that. I mean, really, who ever claims to hit a fairway on a par 3?

For OB and lost ball, I've always been of the assumption you play from where the OB shot came from. So, re-tee on a par 3.

Dunno if this is proper to ROG but that's how I've always done it.

For OB and lost ball, I've always been of the assumption you play from where the OB shot came from. So, re-tee on a par 3.

Dunno if this is proper to ROG but that's how I've always done it.
It has always been stroke and distance until the rules changes this year. See the two videos linked above.

It has always been stroke and distance until the rules changes this year. See the two videos linked above.

The 2nd video is specific to local rules. So I am guessing that would vary from course to course and that the course you are talking about allows that rule?

Back