How do you like to play new courses?

Yes. I will take info from both perspectives. I prefer being told the best spot to play from, but I don't mind someone saying "Don't get in that bunker or your completely dead" either. I would rather know up front than learn the hard way after the fact.

Some of the best rounds of golf I've played are at courses I don't know where trouble is at, what part of the greens are bad and no one in my ear telling me what to do. :peace2:

This is a good point, I have had rounds like that as well. Not seeing trouble until after the fact. "Who put that pot bunker there? Glad I'm not in it"

Yes, when playing an unfamiliar course I find it helpful to play with someone who has played it before so I can ask questions of where to hit or what to avoid.

Played 2 new courses this past weekend and just looked at the hole and then measured to where trouble was and swung away

Just tell me where the trouble is. That's all I need to know. Some of my best golf has been played on courses that I have never seen before. I tend to be more conservative, lay back in the fairway, or hit to the fat part of the green instead of going for pins.

I prefer just a simple "driver ok but favor left side" and plod my way around the course. Don't like hearing "whatever you do, don't go right" especially since that's my miss. Will usually cause a duck hook.

I think any course knowledge will help you. Give me as much info as you can. "Take it down the left side and you will have a good approach", or "taking left is the best but don't worry if you go right, its just a little harder". Tell me about hazards, lay ups, bailout areas. Anything will help you out if you don't know.

I'm never opposed to advice, course knowledge is huge IMO if you're trying to go low.

My course experiences are limited. At this point I don't care how I play new courses, just that I play new courses. Someone can bark directives at me every shot or give me zero info. It's all good.

Great thread, I have played some really good rounds my first time on courses. I credit this to lack of expectation. I go out and take in the architecture, try to take what the course gives me and enjoy the day. That being said I really prefer having someone who knows the course there to tell you the best line on each hole.

I prefer to to be told, especially of any hidden hazzards or landing areas obscured by hills or trees. Also, sometimes you have to be on one side of the fairway to not be blocked by trees on your approach. Also good to know if 1/3 of the green is prone to spitting balls into lateral hazzards.

This is a good point, I have had rounds like that as well. Not seeing trouble until after the fact. "Who put that pot bunker there? Glad I'm not in it"

I like to see the course from my own eyes. Someone tells you that you don't want to be on the right side of the green on the tee box so you hit left. You get up to the green to see that the right side was probably the place to be. Advice are opinions and you have to be careful with em. What is trouble to one may not be for another.

When I give advice I usually give them a target line for the fairway and leave it at that unless they inquire more.

Same as old courses. Hero shots all day.

I love getting local knowledge if I can. Sometimes what you see in front of you isn't the whole picture.

Give me the general info of the hole. Usually once I get over the awesomeness of the course I will settle down and play.

Local knowledge helps. GPS is good but having someone who knows and understands the course is a big benefit for me.

Love the local knowledge but can I hit it to where they said too... that is another question

I like to know about hidden hazards.
The rest I can handle.

I try to get a yardage book or something to help me get a general idea, but other than that I'm free swinging trusting what I see. I try not to overthink it.

I like to be told where the safe zones are that I should be aiming for. I agree that telling me where not to be tends to have the opposite of the desired effect.

Give me the general info of the hole. Usually once I get over the awesomeness of the course I will settle down and play.

What Snickerdog said. Too much information causes my brain to lock up... :dazed:

I will certainly take as much local knowledge as I can get.

Course knowledge is always a plus, so I will never turn it down during my first time on a course. That said, like others I would prefer to hear where to hit it as opposed to where not to hit it.

I just try to hit the fairway and middle of the green. Some help on reading the greens would be cool.

It's always helpful to play with someone who has or does on a regular basis, on the blind shots I like to know where the trouble it, but it's helpful to get an aiming point, especially if there are large slopes in play.

Back