How do you like to play new courses?

Give me all of the help. GPS, laser, yardage book, and local knowledge.

A little course knowledge is always helpful to me. Mostly what is hidden out there and things to avoid. Not how it should be played.

If its a new to me course I like to be able to play it with someone who has played before and let them tell me where not to hit. Lets me try and play safe and smart.

Last weekend I was the "local guy" for Tanker and Fupresti, and realized I'm terrible at giving out information like that because I'm just happy when I can find my drive. Everything else after that is a crap shoot. Still, I try to be helpful when I can.

And when I'm playing a course for the first time, I'm mostly interested in knowing what's OB and if I can hit something besides driver off the tee.

Local knowledge, especially knowing what lines you can take off of certain tee boxes and where to miss near greens, is very valuable to me.

I like playing new courses a lot. It seems to add an element of excitement to things. And yeah, getting course knowledge from someone is great! On the other hand, I hate providing course knowledge because I invariably do what I just told somebody else to not do! "Don't go right of the green. There's a steep slope and a pot bunker and it's nearly 20' straight up to get out of there!" Like the 12th at Hanover CC. I end up in Prichard's Pit every time I mention it to somebody else.

Local knowledge and a GPS. I've had someone say the fairway ends 300 yards away then ended up in a forest. Next time I played it was only 220 and chose a different club.

I love it when someone tells me, "Ok, this is a tough green. Don't hit it right because the slope is darn near impossible to 2 putt. Don't hit it left because it's straight downhill and chipping is almost impossible. Don't go long because there is a big hill than runs down to water. Oh, and don't be short because it's hard there."

So basically hit it within 10 feet of the pin either way and you'll be fine. :D

LOL.

Ahhh... I see you've played a round with Captain 441, then?... I will always remember his pointers for those of us making our first visits to True Blue and Caledonia. LOL

Back to the topic, I like to hear about the hole shape and where to try and leave the ball.

Give me a good yardage book and my GPS and I'll figure things out.

I'll take all the information I can get. I want to know where the best place to hit is and where the worst misses are so I can play away from it if it's overly punishing.

I dont mind advise at all, but with all the GPS choices out there I think checking that would help as well.

I usually check out Google Earth to get some of the carry numbers if the tee shots aren't straight forward. I would rather play with someone who can give me the lines off the tee if need be. Usually takes me 2-4 rounds by myself to get good with my tee ball lines.

Well playing anew course on Saturday, Furry Creek. Usually I put no thought behind my game, but thinking with the difficulty on this course I might try to play responsible and safe... We will see how long that idea lasts

I just played a new course today (Wyncote). I played the front 9 with one person who stopped after 9 and then caught another single at 11 and played the rest of the round with him. Both guys knew the course and that was a godsend. Course was links style and open but it really helped to have someone who knew the course to clue me in. First hole (#12) I played with the second fellow was a real good case in point. Just needed a 180 yard layup and I wouldn't have seen that without someone telling me. Left me a 9-iron (145) in to the green. Without help, I would have been clueless.

I like the challenge of a new course. With a card and a GPS, I try and see where not to miss. For me that is the key. Getting a feel for the greens is the hard part.

I love it when someone tells me, "Ok, this is a tough green. Don't hit it right because the slope is darn near impossible to 2 putt. Don't hit it left because it's straight downhill and chipping is almost impossible. Don't go long because there is a big hill than runs down to water. Oh, and don't be short because it's hard there."

So basically hit it within 10 feet of the pin either way and you'll be fine. :D

LOL.
When did we play my course together???

When playing a new course I like it when someone can tell me the things that are not able to be seen. A hazard in the blind landing zone or the slope of elevated green and such. I like the challenge of a new course, but love the second attempt :)

I like to ask for advice from someone who's played the course. I'd do the same for those who play a course for the first time and I'm familiar with it. I do not offer advice if it's not asked for.

I like being told where to hit the ball. Being told what to avoid is a guarantee I'll hit the ball there. If I don't have anyone with me I like a yardage book. If I won the lottery I'd play with a caddie.

I like as much help as I can get. Tell me where all the trouble is, what the best line is, what the carry is on any traps or hazards and any other insider tips you can tell me.

I am reminded of playing River Verde near Scottsdale in February. Two Canadians and me, all of whom had never played the course before. No water anywhere on the course through the first 17 holes. Pin front so I want to land just short of the green and have the ball bounce up on the front of the green. Hit a perfect shot but didn't see the ball on the green, it just disappeared. Came over the little bump in front of the green and sure enough, a finger of the pond edges in right where I hit my now not so perfect shot. UGH.

Good golly yes, I need and love getting lots and lots of info if it's a tricky course I've never played before. I really don't feel comfortable not knowing where to hit (especially) tee shots regardless of having a rangefinder/map. Just good ol' "hit it towards that tree about 225 max" is better for my lizard brain to handle the first time through.

I had this problem recently big time at a course in NorCal called Yocha Deche where the fairways were much more generous than they looked off the tees and I was cutting them all way too close and finding every darn bunker.

Same with Spyglass Hill last year, just no idea where and how far to hit tee shots and usually setting up the worst possible second shot on my way to a triple. I had to hit left handed out of at least one of those huge bunkers. :crying:

Definitely like getting as much information as possible, but hope/prefer it to be affirmative advice. e.g. - "Stay below the hole." vs. "Don't leave the ball above the hole." You better believe my ball is going to end up above the hole when you tell me not to put it there.

give me a direction and then I'll let my eyes tell me what to do. But I like figuring out the course as i go

Tell me where not to go and the ideal yardage so I can smoke a hook/slice the other direction please.

Back