Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Drive Contest: Debate

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,721 Posts
    I let everything go at a charity scramble. It's like Whose Line Is It Anyway. The rules are made up and the points don't matter.
    My Chev stand bag contains:
    WITB

F7 10į
    XR 4-wood LZ stiff
    X2Hot 3 hybrid 19į
    King Forged CB/MB Black irons (Courtesy of THP's Holiday Cheer 2018!)
    MD4 Tactical 54į SuperSpin 58į
    White Hot RX#2
    Q-Star Tour

Proud participant in the 2014 Morgan Cup!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paladin For This Useful Post:

Carolina Dundee (06-12-2019), checkered (06-13-2019), Golf Ghost (06-09-2019)

"Just playin golf pally" rollin's Avatar
    Handicap
    16-3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,875 Posts
    Imo its shouldnt count. It should be from the same tee. And imo it doesnt matter if one feels its not fair to everyone if they all play it from the same tee. Its called longest drive for a reason. I understand anyone not long enough who plays forward wouldnt stand a chance but it doesnt matter. Technically probably 90% of the field doesnt stand a chance except for the handful of truly longer hitters anyway. What about the player whos not senior but also isnt long at all? He doesnt stand a chance either and it wasnt unfair to him the he had to play from the same tee.

I get the whole fun charity outing thing and all. But whats right is still whats right and the one thing about this that bothers most to me is.....why (in the first place) would anyone from the forward tee even reset the marker in order to try to claim that prize to begin with? I mean senior or not, when you know full well that your going to pick up a marker that someone else placed after hitting from 40 yards further back than you, i just dont know how thats even a thing one can do. I dont know how its even possible to consider in ones mind. How does one convince themselves that this is the correct thing to do?
    I golf because I can But I stink because I can't

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rollin For This Useful Post:

robrandalgz (06-12-2019)

My Friends Call Me Big Time Nate's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,081 Posts
    @threeboysdad Didn't you have this happen to you but were on the receiving end of the senior tees?

Handicap
    Who cares?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,801 Posts
    Should have called him out and thrown down!
    Cobra F8 driver
    Cobra F8 One Length 3H/4H/5H
    Ping G20 SW-6 iron
    Odyssey #9
    Ogio Shredder bag
    A ball

"Always remember, there are no bad rounds, just high scores."-ChristopherKee

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamfist For This Useful Post:

rollin (06-13-2019)

Hack

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,688 Posts
    I'm just disappointed in you. 295? Did you not feel well? You've got more than that in the tank...

Let it go man, who cares...Charity events are full of non-golfers and pencil-whippers...nothing you can do and I'm sure it doesn't bother the senior one bit that it bugs you.
    Proud Member of #TeamUnity - #TheGrandaddy 2016 CHAMPIONS! Thanks Callaway Golf & THP!

2017 Regional Rivalry Champion - SEC East vs SEC West

Project X - The Handcrafted Event 2017

WITB:
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ATTAS Coool 7X
    3W: Callaway XR16
    Irons: Callaway CF16 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 - 50/56/60
    Putter: Toulon Garage - Palm Beach / Atlanta / San Diego
    Ball: Callaway CS X Triple Track or ERC Triple Track

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SouthernShred For This Useful Post:

zbeekner4 (06-12-2019)

I'm not a Club Pro
    Handicap
    9.5 Ugh
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts
    Iíve told this before. Back when I could REALLY swing, like 140+ CHS 20 years ago, Iím playing in a scramble one of our vendors put on.

I step up to the tee on the long drive hole and went full long driver mode on it, knowing that I would win IF I hit the center of the club AND find the fairway. About a 20% chance swinging like that. I somehow do and outdrove the previous marker by 70ish yards. We were about the 4th group from the end so I was pretty confident that my drive would stand, lol. I was probably in the 375-400 range, and Iím not even stretching it. I murdered that ball, probably one of the top 10 longest drives Iíve ever hit on a course.

So weíre at the dinner and awards portion of the night and Iím giddy as they had season tickets to the local MLB team as the prize, split 4 ways, for the on course prizes. They get to the winner of the long drive and Iím already standing up and starting to walk down the aisle to claim my tickets. I hear a name that wasnít mine, and up to the front strolls an older guy (like 60ish) that was in the last group?? Wtf???!?

We all played the same tees so this wasnít a question of him getting an advantage, it was an issue of him flat out lying and cheating his way into something that wasnít rightfully his. Oh boy, I was pissed off! Totally ruined an otherwise good day for me. So as Iím picking at my food and just generally being grumpy I decide I just canít let this pass without me saying something to him. Iím literally blowing smoke out of my ears as I go up to him and ask him just exactly how in TF he hit a drive that far??

Iíll never forget his response. He put his hand on my shoulder and laughed and said ďson, it donít matter how far you hit it, it matters when your group plays the holeĒ.

So it still upsets me when someone blatantly and unrealistically cheats, but I just expect it in a scramble now, if I even bother playing in it. Most times I wonít due to this. I mean, having played in the county tournament many times in the past, I know who most of the good golfers around here are. When a group of guys that I donít know any of them goes out and shoots a -19 or something (even more) ridiculous, and having watched them swing a few times knowing no way in hell they were better than -5 (and most likely +5) as a group, it bothers me.

So I guess itís a long post ending me saying that I better really like the guys Iím playing with to put up with scramble style shenanigans. Iíve played in a few where my group were all single digit HCís and scored say an 8 under, and the group in front of us went -15 and we watched them all day long, and not a single person in the group ever put one past 150 yards and half the time the entire group failed to get off the tee.
    2019 Championship Participant @ Firestone CC

Cobra 🐍 F8+ Project X Yellow 76g 6.5
    Alpha 816 14* set -1 N Speeder 665 Tx
    Cobra FlyZ 4/5 hybrid set at 22* Stock S flex
    Epic 4-6 W/ KBS Tour 90ís (4i go far)
    Nike Vapor Speeds w/ PX LZ's 6.0 7-GW (mixed bag w/ what works)
    Wedges-Soon To Be Awesomeness
    Circle T Concept 2 34" W/ SS 2.0
    TourB RX
    In my TourB 2019 Carry Bag

All above changes daily (except putter, ball, and bag)

I'm not a Club Pro
    Handicap
    9.5 Ugh
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamfist View Post
    Should have called him out and thrown down!

Lol! I dang near did in my example. If he wasnít so calm about it I may have. So I guess if youíre going to swindle someone out of something, itís probably best that you have the ability to defuse situations.

Iím much more calm (donít laugh:)) now. Or at least I try to be. Life is always a work in progress.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiter For This Useful Post:

Hamfist (06-13-2019)

Handicap
    10ish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I played in a scramble yesterday and they had longest drive and putt for men and women. ALL men went from one tee box and ALL ladies went from another. The games are for fun and we're there to support the charity. We were one of the last groups for the longest putt and we all knew the leading women. She puts a lot of time into helping the event each year. We joked about relocating the marker to the other side of the green which would guarantee her victory (we didn't and she won). Point is; the event is for fun and the $50 gift card or massage certificate or bottle of booze isn't going to break the bank. Even if you're the person who gets robbed by someone else's shenanigans. Now if someone moves the marker so they could personally win. Well, karma will even the score sooner or later. Just my 2 cents.
    Driver: G400 SFT, 10*
    Fairway: Rogue 3W
    Hybrids: Rogue X 3 & Rogue 4
    Irons: Apex CF16, 5-AW
    Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1, 50*, 56*, and 60*
    Putter: O-Works Red Marxman
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX

2019 Bridgestone Championship at Firestone Country Club

Handicap
    16-3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiter View Post
    I’ve told this before. Back when I could REALLY swing, like 140+ CHS 20 years ago, I’m playing in a scramble one of our vendors put on.

I step up to the tee on the long drive hole and went full long driver mode on it, knowing that I would win IF I hit the center of the club AND find the fairway. About a 20% chance swinging like that. I somehow do and outdrove the previous marker by 70ish yards. We were about the 4th group from the end so I was pretty confident that my drive would stand, lol. I was probably in the 375-400 range, and I’m not even stretching it. I murdered that ball, probably one of the top 10 longest drives I’ve ever hit on a course.

So we’re at the dinner and awards portion of the night and I’m giddy as they had season tickets to the local MLB team as the prize, split 4 ways, for the on course prizes. They get to the winner of the long drive and I’m already standing up and starting to walk down the aisle to claim my tickets. I hear a name that wasn’t mine, and up to the front strolls an older guy (like 60ish) that was in the last group?? Wtf???!?

We all played the same tees so this wasn’t a question of him getting an advantage, it was an issue of him flat out lying and cheating his way into something that wasn’t rightfully his. Oh boy, I was pissed off! Totally ruined an otherwise good day for me. So as I’m picking at my food and just generally being grumpy I decide I just can’t let this pass without me saying something to him. I’m literally blowing smoke out of my ears as I go up to him and ask him just exactly how in TF he hit a drive that far??

I’ll never forget his response. He put his hand on my shoulder and laughed and said “son, it don’t matter how far you hit it, it matters when your group plays the hole”.

So it still upsets me when someone blatantly and unrealistically cheats, but I just expect it in a scramble now, if I even bother playing in it. Most times I won’t due to this. I mean, having played in the county tournament many times in the past, I know who most of the good golfers around here are. When a group of guys that I don’t know any of them goes out and shoots a -19 or something (even more) ridiculous, and having watched them swing a few times knowing no way in hell they were better than -5 (and most likely +5) as a group, it bothers me.

So I guess it’s a long post ending me saying that I better really like the guys I’m playing with to put up with scramble style shenanigans. I’ve played in a few where my group were all single digit HC’s and scored say an 8 under, and the group in front of us went -15 and we watched them all day long, and not a single person in the group ever put one past 150 yards and half the time the entire group failed to get off the tee.
    From his response, it almost sounds to me that he may have thought you cheated and decided to (in his mind) get even. I say that because,....its very likely (Im assuming) that probably no one in the scramble would ever believe someone put the marker where you did. I think most anyone would see that marker and not for a minute believe anyone seriously hit that. If I saw that id be like "WTF, no way". But I still wouldn't touch the thing because ya just never know. So just perhaps this guy thought he was getting even for what he felt was BS. But even if that was the case he was still a bafoon imo.

I know its hard because we don't want to come off to any group as being petty and we don't want to cause commotion so people tend to let these things go. But sometimes people deserve to be called out publicly. Perhaps your response should have been "Im not your son, and those tickets belong to me". Just sayin

On another note if I knew I had the swing distance worthy of being on TV Im not so sure Id even bother to mark my drive in such a scenario vs the regular folks, But I could be wrong thinking of it that way.

Handicap
    12 (11.7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,210 Posts
    In response to the OP, I think that if there are prizes of any significance (money, clubs, etc) then there should be designated tees for men/women/seniors/etc and separate prizes for each group
    Hitting a long drive but being beaten by someone teeing off 30-40yds in front of you is a bit harsh in my opinion

I have played a couple of charity events and go in never expecting to win anything, but it does annoy me when people blatantly cheat to win prizes

The most obvious one in my eyes was one I played in a few years ago where my group was the penultimate group out, and on one of the nearest the pin holes I stuck one to about 18 inches, so when the prizes were being sorted I was fairly confident that I would win that one, but somehow I was beaten
    Turns out, the final group that were behind us happened to win 3 out of the 4 prizes on offer that day (there was a longest drive and nearest the pin on both 9's) despite the fact that we watched them completely hack it round the course whilst waiting on the groups in front - not sure how they could win the longest drives when they teed off behind us on most holes while we were waiting to play our second shots and they got nowhere near us?
    Bag - Tech Lock

Driver - Epic Flash Subzero 9* - Evenflow Green 6.0
    Fairway - Epic Flash Subzero 3W 15* - Evenflow Green 6.0

Utility - ZU85 18* - Recoil 95 F4

Irons - Z785 4i - 6i, Z-Forged 7i - PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges - RTX4 50/54/58 Tour Satin - DG S400

Putter - O-Works 1W
    Ball - Chrome Soft X

He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDoctor For This Useful Post:

alexped2393 (06-13-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    In response to the OP, I think that if there are prizes of any significance (money, clubs, etc) then there should be designated tees for men/women/seniors/etc and separate prizes for each group
    Hitting a long drive but being beaten by someone teeing off 30-40yds in front of you is a bit harsh in my opinion

I have played a couple of charity events and go in never expecting to win anything, but it does annoy me when people blatantly cheat to win prizes

The most obvious one in my eyes was one I played in a few years ago where my group was the penultimate group out, and on one of the nearest the pin holes I stuck one to about 18 inches, so when the prizes were being sorted I was fairly confident that I would win that one, but somehow I was beaten
    Turns out, the final group that were behind us happened to win 3 out of the 4 prizes on offer that day (there was a longest drive and nearest the pin on both 9's) despite the fact that we watched them completely hack it round the course whilst waiting on the groups in front - not sure how they could win the longest drives when they teed off behind us on most holes while we were waiting to play our second shots and they got nowhere near us?
    Happens at all the charity events I go to, or pro-am events. Sucks big time when you know you put something out there pretty unbeatable for most, then a chopper hits a 360 yard drive...

One time we had someone really close with nearest to the pin, 2 people got a hole in one that day

18. The Following User Says Thank You to alexped2393 For This Useful Post:

TheDoctor (06-13-2019)

Major Champion

Handicap
    Old age
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    @threeboysdad Didn't you have this happen to you but were on the receiving end of the senior tees?
    Yep, I had been playing from the whites with everyone else until we got to the LD hole. With encouragement from my other team members, I moved up to the forward tees and then proceeded to hit my best drive of the day which won the hole. Although I absolutely played by the rules of the tournament, still felt a little embarrassed for winning. But you should have seen some of the faces in the crowd when I got up to get my prize.....priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handicap
    16-3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post

yea, I agree.
    I mean we most all go around thinking its just a fun charity event and the charity is the main reason we are there. We also dont want to come off to anyone as being petty. So we all kind of say things like ..."well, who really cares" and "what can ya do it is what it is" and "ahh just forget about about, we had a good time" etc,etc,etc,.
    I get that completely as i play in a couple charity outings annually for a number of years.

But you know what? I also spend money to do it. I buy the raffles and the 50/50's and and partake in the extra expense double your money on this one, competitions,
    So i spend my fair share and even extra to support/donate to the cause. In the end its the cause that its all about anyway. Its why we are there imo.

But still.....why cheat? Why steel prizes honestly won by others? There is principal involved. I dont get it. People are there supporting the cause and doing whats right. many are working the outing and putting in alot of time and efforts as well to make it happen. They try to make it fun. Why cheat? Why give a middle finger to everyone there? I think people who cheat others out of their honest prizes at these things should be publicly embarrassed in front of everyone there. We are embarrassed to call them out cause we dont want to seem petty nor make a serious issue out of something that is suppose to be fun and support a good cause. But honestly its them who should be called out and humiliated in front of everyone. liars and cheaters ruin things for everyone.

There should be a pre event announcement. As they go over the rules and the event's possible prize holes they should announce..."whoever is going to cheat on longest drive, closest to the pins, on the green, straightest drive, (whatever else have you) please step forward now and claim your prize" "This way we all can know now that you have won and no one stands a chance of beating you"

I would have no issue making that kind of announcement during the pre round instructions. Do it in a pleasant funny kind of way just to let it be known that we are all here to have some fun and why we are here but to allow those who honestly deserve the prizes will be the ones who get them.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rollin For This Useful Post:

Hamfist (06-13-2019), TheDoctor (06-13-2019)

My Friends Call Me Big Time Nate's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threeboysdad View Post
    Yep, I had been playing from the whites with everyone else until we got to the LD hole. With encouragement from my other team members, I moved up to the forward tees and then proceeded to hit my best drive of the day which won the hole. Although I absolutely played by the rules of the tournament, still felt a little embarrassed for winning. But you should have seen some of the faces in the crowd when I got up to get my prize.....priceless
    I would have stood up and gave you the best golf clap possible.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nate For This Useful Post:

threeboysdad (06-13-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    until this thread it did not even occur to me that people would cheat like that. My faith in people has lowered as a result of this thread. A lot. And I did not have that much to begin with. It just literally did not even occur to me as a possibility, I have played in a fair few work and charity scrambles and not once even heard it suggested by any of the people, sometimes friends, sometimes vendors, sometimes customers, sometimes completely random, people I have been with. Happily for me I have been with better people than it sounds like you all know.