PGG's Quest to Play All 50 States

Thanks for updating! I played Mountainview last year and actually thought Lakeview was the premier course, ha!

WV was a tough state for me to get.

Any idea where you're playing in Indiana yet? I know there are a few THPers on the site who would tee it up if you needed to fill a 4some.

Any idea where you're playing in Indiana yet? I know there are a few THPers on the site who would tee it up if you needed to fill a 4some.
You know I am one of them. Will tee it up with PGG any day of the week!

You know I am one of them. Will tee it up with PGG any day of the week!

I definitely need to get to Indiana and play with you guys out there! This may be a trip I take in August or September, but no idea where just yet. I'm guessing flying into Chicago or Indianapolis though, so hopefully that is close for you guys. I will keep you guys posted once I know more.

I definitely need to get to Indiana and play with you guys out there! This may be a trip I take in August or September, but no idea where just yet. I'm guessing flying into Chicago or Indianapolis though, so hopefully that is close for you guys. I will keep you guys posted once I know more.
Indianapolis is perfect..Depending on when in September, the BMW Championship will be here..

Indianapolis is perfect..Depending on when in September, the BMW Championship will be here..

Would love to know a member and play that course right before/after that tournament. I might know a member...

Spivey and I are headed to the sand hills region of Nebraska today to spend a few days golfing on a couple courses that are supposed to be phenomenal.

The sand hills region features some of the largest sand dunes on the continent, formed during the ice age and are a far cry from the flat plain terrain I imagine when I think of Nebraska. The region was discovered as ideal for golf courses with its sand based soil and hilly terrain.

This is an area I have been wanting to check out for years, as it really is ideal for golf and its characteristics are unique to any where else in the world.

I'll post photos during the next few days to share with you all the area and the courses.

Spivey and I are headed to the sand hills region of Nebraska today to spend a few days golfing on a couple courses that are supposed to be phenomenal.

The sand hills region features some of the largest sand dunes on the continent, formed during the ice age and are a far cry from the flat plain terrain I imagine when I think of Nebraska. The region was discovered as ideal for golf courses with its sand based soil and hilly terrain.

This is an area I have been wanting to check out for years, as it really is ideal for golf and its characteristics are unique to any where else in the world.

I'll post photos during the next few days to share with you all the area and the courses.

Which courses are you guys playing? Some great golf up that way! Enjoy.

Which courses are you guys playing? Some great golf up that way! Enjoy.

Thanks! We'll be playing both Dismal River courses, one designed by Nicklaus and the other by Doak.

Ever since I've seen pics of the Sand Hills I've wanted to go there. Looking forward to the pics!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

There are some phenomenal golf courses in the Sand Hills area of Nebraska! The Prairie Club is down that way and it's amazing, Wild Horse in Gothenburg is great (public) and I've heard great things about the Dismal River courses. Have fun and get us some pics!

There are some phenomenal golf courses in the Sand Hills area of Nebraska! The Prairie Club is down that way and it's amazing, Wild Horse in Gothenburg is great (public) and I've heard great things about the Dismal River courses. Have fun and get us some pics!

Yes! Got to play Wildhorse while I was implementing my old companies software at the hospital in Gothenburg. It is a great course.

Spotty cell phone coverage, but Nebraska is in the books! More pics later, but wow this place is special.

51a3baa85ffc41ebff63bfd12e801ba1.jpg

Personally liked Wild horse better than either course at the Prairie Club.

That's a great view

We've played both courses now, but only took photos if the course Nicklaus designed. The terrain is a little more severe than Doak's course and it's an interesting layout that typically lets the landscape do most of the talking. Here are some photos.

14f320346e2a3e75d25811449de16c07.jpg

79da5c287cc4e693f20334b09b0fd259.jpg

bc644a11d6861a293f71ac43e4f0c589.jpg

We've played both courses now, but only took photos if the course Nicklaus designed. The terrain is a little more severe than Doak's course and it's an interesting layout that typically lets the landscape do most of the talking. Here are some photos.

14f320346e2a3e75d25811449de16c07.jpg

79da5c287cc4e693f20334b09b0fd259.jpg

bc644a11d6861a293f71ac43e4f0c589.jpg

Glad you are getting a new state! Were pictures of the other course not allowed?

Glad you are getting a new state! Were pictures of the other course not allowed?

Photos are allowed of both, but I ran out of memory on my phone and with no cell phone coverage, wasn't able to transfer photos until last night.

We are playing the Red (Doak)
Course this morning so I'll be photographing it then. I like it better than the White (Nicklaus).

Excited for you guys, I have read a lot about both designs...hope to make it there one day. Interested to hear a comparison between the two. I have not read anyone liking the Nicklaus better than the Doak, but I'm sure someone out there does! Have fun and thanks for the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I was able to get a ton if photos of the Doak course. It was my favorite of the two and I felt it was more difficult in very subtle ways. But it really shines by being able to accentuate the incredible natural landscape of the area, almost as if he walked around and dropped grass seed a bunch of places and that's it. Actually it's not far off, as it took him 55 minutes to build the 5th green!

Such a cool area and if you have the chance to golf around here, i would do it every time.

1c42d70cf02af441fa0477730ca0c4bd.jpg

The 5th, a par 3 240 yards

3ff9565122204e7ab572797dd5bbf5bb.jpg

71c49bb3a59316060f16776c184784cc.jpg

8f471f3725f6356b0155a44d856ed927.jpg

Eighteenth green, with the clubhouse and a few of the cabins on the horizon.

Getting here is a pain, but once you do, you take a golf cart every where and stay in one of the cabins, which all overlook the the expanse of the area. The meals have been awesome, hanging out at the fire pit each night has been awesome and this place just has a special tranquility to it that is appealing.

We're leaving tomorrow, but I feel like Jack in Lost; we gotta go back!

Nice photo's Chris!
Glad to have been a part of your adventure - and I am looking forward to the next trip!!

If anyone is at all considering a golf trip, put Dismal River on the ponder. It was a fantastic experience, very different from anywhere in the country that I have played golf at.

Nice photo's Chris!
Glad to have been a part of your adventure - and I am looking forward to the next trip!!

If anyone is at all considering a golf trip, put Dismal River on the ponder. It was a fantastic experience, very different from anywhere in the country that I have played golf at.

How would you compare the two courses Dave? If you were going to play 10 rounds there how would you break them up?

I just love the look of those courses. Thanks for sharing. I never would have thought about golf in Nebraska, now I really want to go to this place.

How would you compare the two courses Dave? If you were going to play 10 rounds there how would you break them up?

Dave and I differed slightly on our preference, but I would play Doak 7 and Nicklaus 3. The routing of Doak was exceptional, every hole had distinct character and the transition of playing from the sand hills down to the river was sublime. The experience was so pure; one of my favorite rounds was when Dave and I packed up a bunch of beers and water and played it in the late afternoon and had the course to ourselves. With no one else around, I realized that Doak was able to make the course feel as if it was effortlessly placed on the terrain, although it actually took quite a bit of work on his part to make that happen.

The Nicklaus course is set on more severe terrain, is hillier and features many more blind shots. It's referred to as Nicklaus unplugged, as he does a lot of different things than you typically see with his courses. Some are really quirky, like the par 3 10th, where there are 3 different holes and you get to pick which one you want to play. I enjoyed it a lot more when we played it a second time and as you move from the hills down to the valley, then back up and down again, I realized Nicklaus also used the terrain as much as possible and that while I felt some of the holes were atypical, it's a course I could play all the time and be a happy man. Yet my fondness for the Doak course is so big that I'd go 7-3.

Both courses are subject to heavy wind and the tees are adjusted for that reason. Wind was a factor when we were out there, but never anything that was overly daunting.

Because of the adjusted tees, the courses have no slope rating and the holes are not handicapped. That may irk some, but I'm of the mind that it only helps one enjoy the experience, forget about posting scores and just play some really good golf.

I'll be doing reviews of both courses soon with photos of all holes and the facility.

I think you need to update your first post buddy :)

Great following your journey, your blast trip sounded like a blast.

Back