bill mehlhorns technique

mike33

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey I was wondering what people thought of this. Bobby shave has a couple youtube videos of his technique. It incorporates a grasship to help time the arms and legs threw impact and follow threw. Also he compares the golf swing to motions that we already know. Just wondering people's thoughts on this. Thanks

Hey I was wondering what people thought of this. Bobby shave has a couple youtube videos of his technique. It incorporates a grasship to help time the arms and legs threw impact and follow threw. Also he compares the golf swing to motions that we already know. Just wondering people's thoughts on this. Thanks

Brian Sparks teaches basically the same thing. He has a book too. Very nice swing and he has plenty of testimonials of folks who swear by his philosophy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eURbeXGkeCU
http://www.amazon.com/Positive-Impact-Golf-Liberate-Potential-ebook/dp/B00KWFH0UG

I believe I just read Sparks learned under Mehlhorn

Ron Sissons is another guy that I believe learned under Mehlhorn and has a similar 'simple' swing.

Here is a YT video of some of Sissons swing 'makeovers':

wow, I'm watching these makeovers, and some of them are really impressive!

^^^
I'm not sure what that guys actually teaches (seems like mainly being really relaxed, not trying to hit any positions (except for the follow through onto your toes), and I keep hearing him say "tic, toc"...but, for beginners, he gets them hitting a nice ball, quickly.
Im sure there are a lot of bad shots we don't see, but, those beginners sound like they are 'puring' balls very quickly.

For someone who doesn't want to practice often, and just wants to be able to get out and get to a bogey level, this seems like an incredible approach. Who knows, maybe they get way better than bogey too.

Yea I've seen ron and brians videos. I just trying to find an easy swing on my body, and that's natural for me son I can repeat it. It seems to work but distance might be a problem.

If I needed to hit my driver only 150 metres (but dead straight) I'd have taken up this method. It looks like golf for beginners, or old people looking for a hobby in retirement. This is like basic first steps.its a good beginners swing at least. Something solid to build upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not willing to write it off so quickly.
While I would doubt it becomes the foundation for my swing or anything like that, I think there is something to be learned from it.
Primarily, it seems to me to be a potent remeinder to take the tension out of the body.

As a matter of fact, when I watch the Ron Sissons videos above, I don't think those people are taking small pokes at the ball. The younger ones, especially the very last guy, is generating enough swing speed to hit the ball a far way it seems.

Swinging 'fast' is one of his fundamentals.

But I do agree with you that it seems to be a great way for beginners to learn to play the game. I think that swing would translate better with wedges and short irons than it would with woods and long irons.

I liked the videos, especially the one where there wasn't any talking at all and the tic toc thing. I don't believe they teach any new move in the golf swing, but it's the way they tech the golf swing which is innovative.

Instruction, no matter how great, isn't very useful if it cannot be understood by the student.

Cool stuff.

It just proves that there is more than one way to swing a club. If i was looking for a new swing the one thing that would put me off is the bigish move off the ball as we are constantly told this is apparently a killer to the golf swing. Now it looks like it works for them but i cant get past the sway.
But hey, i swing Don Trahan so i dont think i should pass any sort of judgment! :dohanim:

Tempo training is really valuable! I love it

It just proves that there is more than one way to swing a club. If i was looking for a new swing the one thing that would put me off is the bigish move off the ball as we are constantly told this is apparently a killer to the golf swing. Now it looks like it works for them but i cant get past the sway.
But hey, i swing Don Trahan so i dont think i should pass any sort of judgment! :dohanim:

Brian Sparks doesn't actually sway, he just lets his left foot come off the ground and his head move so that he can turn his hips stress free turn (vs a traditional coil).

It'll be interesting for me in June as I swing Don Trahan too. But my wife has struggled with the game so I've set ourselves up for a 3 day Brian Sparks school (Positive Impact Golf) in Minnesota. Mostly for her - but I'm going out of curiosity. Should be interesting.

Brian Sparks doesn't actually sway, he just lets his left foot come off the ground and his head move so that he can turn his hips stress free turn (vs a traditional coil).

It'll be interesting for me in June as I swing Don Trahan too. But my wife has struggled with the game so I've set ourselves up for a 3 day Brian Sparks school (Positive Impact Golf) in Minnesota. Mostly for her - but I'm going out of curiosity. Should be interesting.

No that iam actually looking at the feet in particular i can see it now. The first woman in the vid (about a minute in) pretty much get the lead foot off the ground, Looks very strange but obviously gets the results. Would you say its kind of like using exagerated movements in drills to engrain the proper feeling?

No that iam actually looking at the feet in particular i can see it now. The first woman in the vid (about a minute in) pretty much get the lead foot off the ground, Looks very strange but obviously gets the results. Would you say its kind of like using exagerated movements in drills to engrain the proper feeling?

Actually a lot of great golfers lifted their left foot off the ground - Jack Nicklaus being one of the them.

Yea I've seen ron and brians videos. I just trying to find an easy swing on my body, and that's natural for me son I can repeat it. It seems to work but distance might be a problem.
I'm a Licensed Easy Swing Coach and at first I tried to prove that ES didn't work. It looked ridiculous. But, it does work. I've never been more relaxed when executing a golf swing. I'm more consistent and didn't lose any distance. That's important as I'm a senior golfer.

Actually a lot of great golfers lifted their left foot off the ground - Jack Nicklaus being one of the them.
Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Sam Snead all allowed their left heel to come off of the ground on their backswing. Worked pretty well!

I'm a Licensed Easy Swing Coach and at first I tried to prove that ES didn't work. It looked ridiculous. But, it does work. I've never been more relaxed when executing a golf swing. I'm more consistent and didn't lose any distance. That's important as I'm a senior golfer.

Just curious. Where are you located?

I study under Julian Mellor.

Just curious. Where are you located?

I study under Julian Mellor.

I live on the NW side of Indianapolis, IN. I teach at Pittsboro GC, Pittsboro, IN about 25-30 minutes west of Indianapolis on Hwy 136.

Back