How would you compare the Callaway Apex CF19 vs Ping G410?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I know that you might want to consider the Apex CF19 a distance players iron and the G410 a game improvement iron and that the G410 might be more comparable to the Callaway Big Bertha, but I'd like to get some feedback in the following areas.

Forgiveness
Distance
Feel
Appearance

If anyone has played or compared them both, I'd appreciate the feedback.

I recently tried both during a fitting.

I was fit into the Apex---and it wasn't close---so I am seriously biased.

The feel to me was substantially better with the Apex.

The Pings felt "dead" to me.

I could also feel my misses with the Callaways (thin, toe, etc.). Pings no idea.

I was also not a fan of the look of the Pings.

My comment to the fitter was "these look like the G400 Crossovers I used to game in the 3 and 4."

My smash and ball speed was also much better with the Callaways as well.

I would strongly recommend a fitting to compare clubs from mutliple manufacturers.

Every swing is different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I recently tried both during a fitting.

I was fit into the Apex---and it wasn't close---so I am seriously biased.

The feel to me was substantially better with the Apex.

The Pings felt "dead" to me.

I could also feel my misses with the Callaways (thin, toe, etc.). Pings no idea.

I was also not a fan of the look of the Pings.

My comment to the fitter was "these look like the G400 Crossovers I used to game in the 3 and 4."

My smash and ball speed was also much better with the Callaways as well.

I would strongly recommend a fitting to compare clubs from mutliple manufacturers.

Every swing is different.

i think it’s important to add some context for irons you have enjoyed in the past. did the cf19 replace your 718 ap2? if so, to me that says a lot about the look and feel you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i think it’s important to add some context for irons you have enjoyed in the past. did the cf19 replace your 718 ap2? if so, to me that says a lot about the look and feel you prefer.

Fair comment. And yes.

Love the AP2-but not for looks.

I didn't find my way into those due to ego (waaay too bad at this game for that) or looks---purely feel and happenstance.

And they do feel great on well struck shots. Love the ball flight on good strikes. Nice high draw.

Also love that I can always tell where I missed.

That being said---the Apex smash and ball speed averages were enough to persuade me to move away from them.

They're just a lot more forgiving and it's not close.

But they don't look too chunky to my eye---and the feel factor is still there (though maybe a bit muted).

Fair comment. And yes.

I didn't find my way into those due to ego (waaay too bad at this game for that) or looks---purely feel and happenstance.

And they do feel great on well struck shots. Love the ball flight on good strikes. Nice high draw.

That being said---the Apex smash and ball speed averages were enough to persuade me to move away from them.

But they don't look too chunky to my eye---and the feel factor is still there (though maybe a bit muted).

i gamed those irons for a bit too, but gave up a ton of distance. the cf19 are a fantastic blend of what so many of us want, AND what so many of us need.

CF19 are a very forgiving iron, but I think that needs to be taken into the context of the profile - they’re still relatively compact. The G410 are similar in size if not slightly bigger than the AP1 my wife plays and I was surprised how much more compact the CF19 looked side to side with the AP1 when I compared them. Dnevs said the target handicap for those is about a 10 and that feels right to me - obviously the range they’ll work for is wider but I can see that as the target.

If you’re looking at the G series and you tend to miss heel-toe I’d at least give the Bertha irons a shot too. They’re probably slightly larger but the performance is great and feel I think was better than the PING.

If you tend to center up the ball pretty well but miss more low, there is no iron in its class that’s better there than the CF19.

Forgiveness - Depends on how you miss. Left to right I'd give the nod to the Pings, but the CF19s are really good for their size. If you hit fat a lot, 410s are likely to be more helpful. Apex is really good on thins.

Distance - I'd give Apex the nod here by about 1/2 club on the irons with the cup face.

Feel - I prefer Apex, but someone accustomed to the Ping feel may go the other way.

Appearance - Apex for me by a mile.

Fair comment. And yes.

Went for a fitting a few weeks ago and I went with the Apex as well. My ball speed was down compared to the other heads but the smash factor was a lot higher than any of the others I tried.

I've played the Cf16 in the past (for about a year), then for no reason that makes sense to me, I move on to the Ping i500's. I tended to have too many mishits with the i500's for my liking. I had subsequently traded-in the CF16's for some woods and wish I still had them. Hence the interest in the CF19's.

My misses end to be "thins" rather than "fats". I know my specs so the fitting probably isn't necessary. I've had a couple fittings in the past and the results are always the same.

Did anyone opt for the smoke irons? I'd go for it but concerned about the finish wearing off. I have MD4's in the dark color and after one season, it starts to wear off. Performance is still good and the color wearing off doesn't really bother me.

Back