The Evolution of the TaylorMade Spider Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a great read. I have always been an Odyssey mallet guy from the Rossie II days. I am not sure why the Spider never appealed to me but it seems like you are either a Spider guy or an Odyssey guy. I play a 7 which is not a traditional shape by any means but the Spider seems too busy or spaceship like for my taste. You cannot argue with the success on tour that this design has some merit.

Last edited:
Wow. WOW! That kinda of knowledge of the usage over time is incredible and I had no idea about a lot of this. Very, very nice article @ddec. I loved it.

Who knew Dean was an historian?

Well done. I enjoyed the article, especially having a few of those in the bag.

Wow. WOW! That kinda of knowledge of the usage over time is incredible and I had no idea about a lot of this. Very, very nice article @ddec. I loved it.

The thing that I find interesting in the entire story is that for such an important line for TM's past 10ish years, the guys who got the first win with the original Spider and Spider X were not TM staffers(Cobra and Mizuno). To me, it shows off the apeal of the line.

Now there are some models I left out because it was already a bit long. Spider OS which was the largest body, used by Brian Harmon. Spider Arc, Justin Rose used for a bit. And of course this bad boy here....used by that ddec guy in the 2014 Morgan Cup haha

749120f74d587fc56ee00a6145932f70.jpg

I love my Spider. The Ghost Spider was one of my favorites ever. It's why I went with white in the MySpider Tour I bought last year.

Great article.

Who knew Dean was an historian?

Well done. I enjoyed the article, especially having a few of those in the bag.

I was going to give you a history lesson in SC, but you kicked me and Ron out of the room.

We did have a conversation about spider putters on the range though. Spider putters and steelhead fairways on the next Spicoli and ddec.

Great article. I must say the Spider has quickly become a fairly iconic design. I've had two of them myself, including the Spider S that I won via the THP Holiday Cheer event. Great to see the newest editions doing well on tour and via those who have tried them.

I had the Ghost Spider with the "basketball court alignment" haha. Really good read Dean, thanks for expanding our knowledge I enjoyed that

I was going to give you a history lesson in SC, but you kicked me and Ron out of the room.

We did have a conversation about spider putters on the range though. Spider putters and steelhead fairways on the next Spicoli and ddec.

It was very rude of me to kick you out. You seemed to be very comfortable on your bench.

I’m waiting on your epic poem, Ode to Steelhead.

Great article. This putter has evolved and you captured it very well.

Great write up!

I love my spider, that metal thing has changed my putting game.

This is silly well done Dean. You made this history teacher proud!

Awesome read, as a new owner of a Spider Tour Black thanks to Wildcat's contest on this forum I can say I love it. I always putted with a blade but my putting has improved using the spider.

I really enjoyed this article, Dean. It makes me want to give the one of the models another try. I have been an Odyssey guy for several years now, but the Spider line has tempted me on more than one occasion.

Great read ddec, somehow I have never tried this series of putters. It just never fit my eye, but the success of the line is very impressive.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

glad you fellas enjoyed it. Thanks for reading!

Good writeup Dean. I love mallets and have been very happy with my Odyssey, but would love to give one of these a try should the opportunity ever arise :)

I know some have mentioned it, but have you tried any of the spider putters? Be it the original, the ghost, blades, counterbalanced models, or even the latest and greatest. If you haven't, what has held you back from doing so?

Great article Dean !

I still have my original Monza Spider in the garage. As a result of meeting the right person from Taylormade on the Kingdom Experience trip back in 2011, TMAG sent me a Ghost Spider right before it was released to the public to test and review here on THP. I was instantly in love with the putter and still game it today. After that first review, they sent me a few more putters to test and review, but none of them have been able to push the original Ghost Spider (with the basketball court...I love that!) from my bag. I have not tried any of the models from the last 3 years, so I don't know how they would compare, but would love to find out.

Great article Dean !

I still have my original Monza Spider in the garage. As a result of meeting the right person from Taylormade on the Kingdom Experience trip back in 2011, TMAG sent me a Ghost Spider right before it was released to the public to test and review here on THP. I was instantly in love with the putter and still game it today. After that first review, they sent me a few more putters to test and review, but none of them have been able to push the original Ghost Spider (with the basketball court...I love that!) from my bag. I have not tried any of the models from the last 3 years, so I don't know how they would compare, but would love to find out.

I remember that kingdom trip, man did I want to be part of that. Was such a fun follow.

I know some have mentioned it, but have you tried any of the spider putters? Be it the original, the ghost, blades, counterbalanced models, or even the latest and greatest. If you haven't, what has held you back from doing so?

I didn't do particularly well with the counterbalanced Spider Blade even though I liked the feel and shape of the putter. I was also not practicing putting either at the time--I am sure that had nothing to do with it.

I am a huge fan of the Spider Tour Red. Great feel and I enjoy the feedback I get from it. I went through a period of some of the best putting I've had and I attribute a lot of that to the Spider.

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of rolling the Spider X.

Back