does taking a little break help your golf game?

Tennis19

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I took a long break from golf 15 years. started playing again on a regular basis february. avg 3 rounds a week since then. actually 4/5 times the past 2 weeks. ive seen a lot of improvement since feb. by no means am i burn out. but i was thinking about taking a couple of weeks from golf. im scared i will lose any progress that ive made. my gf says too much of anything is not good. said it might even help my game.

It helped me get out of my head a little and just focus on playing rather than swinging.

I take a break every winter because we get snow here in IL. Mentally I think it's a good break for me although I wish it wasn't so long. Physically I wish I got to play all year long.

I actually am transitioning to playing/practicing less.

Over the last couple years I would be adamant on hitting the range after work one evening then playing Saturday and sometimes Sunday, usually Sunday. I agree that too much Golf is not good, the burn-out and the passion could fade.

I had a week off a month ago and played on a Saturday. Then played well on a Tuesday. Then played again on Wednesday and by the 4th hole I was sick of playing, I just hit the ball and had no emotion, really just wanted the round to end.

I didn't play again until that Sunday, 3 full days off, and the juices got flowing again to play Golf. I played well that day and was happy.

Over the last month since that week I no longer practice after work. I would rather play 9 and just do that. My worry was like yours. I didn't want to lose the progressions I've made, and I didn't want to lose my swing.

On the weekend I cut down to play once. Prefer to play Saturday so then Sunday is free for whatever I want to do(beach,gym,pool,PGATour,sports bar, etc), and if I'm in the mood on that Sunday I'll tee it up. Just depends how I feel.

4 day weekend last week and you would think I would play at least twice. I played Monday only and played well. No range before the round, just saved my swing for the round.

I can't play this weekend but I will tee it up Monday and during that time do nothing Golf related.

Playing once a week has really helped me focus on other hobbies. I don't lose my swing at all since I am happy with my game and playing once a week keeps me fresh and excited to Golf. And most importantly I look forward to playing once a week rather than grind 2-3 times a week, popping advil before that 2nd round and a glob of IcyHot. Just my $.02

The longer the break the more I suck. If I take more then 2 or 3 day off my game regresses.

taking a break has always helped my game and anymore I feel like I can go out and still play real well even though im not playing a lot

No, my swing (timing, face-to-path, release, etc.) all start to suffer from a break. Touch around the green does as well. Golf is a perishable skill and needs to be worked on regularly, though I'm sure the more years you play the more you can get away with taking breaks.

Forced break because of winter.

Before the break I was hitting a pull and sometimes a hook. After break I am now slicing everything. Can't tell if it helped or not?

I like the winter break we get in the north east, it's fun to have a season to look forward to and work on stuff during the downtime (gotta love heated stalls at the range).

But I don't think it helps the game, quite the opposite, lots of golf is the path to playing good golf.

Being retired, I have to force myself not to play too much. Have been playing 4 straight days (all walking rounds) lately and think I need to cut it to a max of 3 straight days as the ball striking seems to start to regress towards the end of the 3rd round and pretty much the entire 4th round. Never thought that playing too much golf was possible but I now beginning to think more short day or two breaks may be beneficial. The challenge with that will be trying not to drive my wife crazy! haha

Being retired, I have to force myself not to play too much. Have been playing 4 straight days (all walking rounds) lately and think I need to cut it to a max of 3 straight days as the ball striking seems to start to regress towards the end of the 3rd round and pretty much the entire 4th round. Never thought that playing too much golf was possible but I now beginning to think more short day or two breaks may be beneficial. The challenge with that will be trying not to drive my wife crazy! haha

That sounds awful, limited to a max of 3 straight days playing! :angel:

I need "regular" playing/practice time, or I notice I get rushed and my tempo is all out of whack. With that said, my back and joints can't handle too much either

I hope so. I'm just about to try and comeback after about an 8 month layoff due to injury.
I had to step away completely, even this forum, because it made me miserable not being able to play.

That sounds awful, limited to a max of 3 straight days playing! :angel:
It's rough but somebody has to do it. Hitting mid to upper 90's now so will definitely have to pace myself. Tough though because I generally play my best golf when drenched with sweat after the first hole.

Youre not going to lose it all just by taking a couple weeks off. Sometimes it can be helpful to take a little time off just to give yourself a sort of mental reset.

I enjoy a little break and sometimes it's necessary to recharge the golf batteries. Honestly unless it's an event of some kind I can get a little burnt out playing too much in a short amount of time. I think I feel guilty being away from the family and it's not as enjoyable when I'm gone a lot.

I just bought a new set of Cobra F9 One Length clubs this year. I took a break starting the evening of May 7 an hour after i got home from teh driving range and the tendons in my arms were in agony from hitting 100 balls off a mat. I had the Crossline grips that came on the clubs with the Arccos stuff blown off and replaced with Winn Drytacs. I plan to play my first round of the year next Tuesday. I will not be hitting balls of a mat again this summer. I will get my practice playing 9 holes. I think that will be more fun than banging balls at the driving range.

It's so funny I came across this thread this morning... I've been struggling lately. Capped off with a frustrating round yesterday - one where everything that could happen happened - multiple lip outs on par putts, inconsistent with yardages and lots of "in between" clubs, triple bogey on the last hole, etc. On one hole, a Par 5 where you cross a lake off the tee to the fairway and then cross the same lake back to a peninsula green, I went to lay up to the area in front of the lake for a nice 60-75 yard wedge (depending where you end up). 140 yards from my position on my 2nd shot in the fairway to the landing area where I'd be hitting my 3rd shot. Hit a smooth PW, high and straight, then ball comes down and hits a sprinkler head, and darts off into the water. Sums up the day perfectly.

Over the last couple of weeks, instead of sitting back, taking a breath, and refocusing, I've been trying to play more and more to get that "bad taste" out of my mouth. It's only made it worse though. I feel like I'm trying to "force" my game and am constantly in my head instead of playing naturally and more loose like I usually do. We've all been there. It's going to be 95+ degrees for the next week in my area with high humidity, and I'm traveling next weekend out of state with the family. I'm thinking it'd be good for me to not play from now until after that trip. Take a couple weeks to cool down and, as alexped2393 said perfectly, "get out of my head."

I haven't hit a golf ball in at least 6 weeks, mostly because of work, and I think the biggest thing I'm realizing is how contorted my stance and swing had gotten over the course of the past few months prior while I struggled and came up with some pretty silly (in retrospect) fixes. I'm getting ready to get back to playing this week and next, and I'm kinda excited to get rid of some expectations and just hit some balls.

I haven't hit a golf ball in at least 6 weeks, mostly because of work, and I think the biggest thing I'm realizing is how contorted my stance and swing had gotten over the course of the past few months prior while I struggled and came up with some pretty silly (in retrospect) fixes. I'm getting ready to get back to playing this week and next, and I'm kinda excited to get rid of some expectations and just hit some balls.
Need to get you out there more often

I can truthfully say that taking 3 weeks off did not help my game.

The last couple years have been a pretty big departure from what was consistent golf. I’ve always enjoyed a little break to reignite the fire and these days, I appreciate being able to get a range day or the occasional round with friends. My game has mostly remained intact, even if my touch around the greens is off.

I say breaks are good. Taking a week to recharge won’t magically make your progress disappear. I’d argue it will more likely reinvigorate you and get you excited to work on your game. Golf should be fun and knowing when to take a step back helps keep it that way.

No, not at all. I generally lose my touch and feel or at least lessen it. Often swing faults creep in that have to be rooted out. The only time this 'helps' is if I have an injury that prevents me from making my normal swing and requires rest and recovery time.

I’m the opposite. My ball striking, short game, and putting tend to improve when I can play/practice 5 plus day a week. I’ve played more than 18 holes in the same day several times this year and my lowest scoring has always been on the last 9/18 holes. I have always taken a long break in the winter. Growing up it was early September to late March or early April and for our 20 years in California it was rare that I would play more than a few rounds between late October and March 1st. I takes me about 2-3 weeks after a long layoff to get my game back into mid-season form.

A small break of a week or two does not seem to change my ball striking but does my short game, especially touch shots around the green.

I do get your point of driving your wife crazy, mine is still working but I’ll bet it will be a big adjustment when she does retire. If I stick around the house, she will find things for me to do!

Back