Master's Week Questions

1. Could you break 100 on Augusta National in tournament conditions and length?
2. What do you think your score would be??
3. What would you pay to try???

1. For me... no way!
2. (18) 3 putts equal at least 110-115 would be great!
3. $500-$1000

How about you???

1. I would like to think so
2. 95
3. Max $1000

1.Tournament conditions and lengths? Not a chance. While it does not have an official USGA Slope and Rating, in 2010 Dean Knuth estimated from the tips it would be 78.1 and slope of 137.

2.105-115. Most par 4's would take me 3 shots to get there. Then have to tackle the greens from there. Just going off yardages, I doubt I could get to 1, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 17, 18 in two shots. That leaves only 3 really as a par 4 I could reach in two. I'd be hitting driver off the 4th hole(par 3), but the others would be irons most likely.

3.I'd sell my soul.

Members tees, might have a chance at 100. Course would play 6,300 yards and some of those long par 4's are much more attainable. Greens still have to be dealt with, but if we are talking about non tournament conditions I'd think they would be a touch slower in speed. 1st cut is probably shaved down to what it used to be too.
This pretty well sums up my thoughts. Tourney length is what, like 7500 yards? That's just brutal for me and effectively eliminates any chance of breaking 100, and that's without the undulating terrain, hazards and greens. So that distance and 137 type slope...I'm thinking 120 ish.

the tournament conditions and length part is what keeps me from saying yes. Members tees is a different story. Actually had this conversation with my pops a couple of weeks ago. My argument to him was that it's not the hardest from tee to green, but greenside it's a beast. We played Bethapge from 6800 yards, and without hitting 1 good shot on the back 9 I had a chance to break 90. I think that's the opposite style course, harder from tee to green, but the greens are relatively flat.

Nope
110-120
Whatever it cost

the tournament conditions and length part is what keeps me from saying yes. Members tees is a different story. Actually had this conversation with my pops a couple of weeks ago. My argument to him was that it's not the hardest from tee to green, but greenside it's a beast. We played Bethapge from 6800 yards, and without hitting 1 good shot on the back 9 I had a chance to break 90. I think that's the opposite style course, harder from tee to green, but the greens are relatively flat.

Yeah, the length and the contour of the greens would be the killer for me. I could see myself pulling a Seve several times...I miss, I miss, I miss, I make.

This pretty well sums up my thoughts. Tourney length is what, like 7500 yards? That's just brutal for me and effectively eliminates any chance of breaking 100, and that's without the undulating terrain, hazards and greens. So that distance and 137 type slope...I'm thinking 120 ish.

yup, the way I figure it, on 9 of those par 4's, I'm immediately scrambling for par. I've played easier courses where I've had that situation, I know it doesn't turn out pretty.

Yes
$1000

1 - yes
2 - call me delusional but I think could break 80
3 - 150

A good friend of mine that I play with on the regular has played Augusta twice and broke 80. So based on that, yes I could do well at Augusta. I'm working with my dad to get a foursome through a caddy we know. It's gonna cost a good bit but will be worth it if it happens.
How much do you think tournament length and conditions would affect your score compared to when your friend played it? I've read on here, and other sources, of decent golfers scoring well at Augusta, but from members' tees and slower greens.

For me, I would be doing well to break 100 under non tournament conditions. I have decent length for an average golfer, but playing all long irons and hybrids/woods into par 4's would destroy me.

1. Heck no.

2. Probably 140. I've played a US Open course in tournament conditions...putting on a tabletop is easier.

3. $2,500 easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much do you think tournament length and conditions would affect your score compared to when your friend played it? I've read on here, and other sources, of decent golfers scoring well at Augusta, but from members' tees and slower greens.

For me, I would be doing well to break 100 under non tournament conditions. I have decent length for an average golfer, but playing all long irons and hybrids/woods into par 4's would destroy me.

It's all
Relative isn't it. Tournament conditions will never be experienced by anyone other than media and tour players. Members have their tees and the greens roll every bit of 11.5 to 12. The course would play just as difficult for non pros

1. No, maybe on the par 3 course!
2. 115
3. Don't know, it's so exclusive, maybe anything if you got the chance!

1) I'd like to think I could.
2) Depending on the day I'm having I'd like to guess between 80-95
3) I've tried figuring this number out and it'd hard to without an actual offer and while I say $1500 no problem if they told me $2500 and you can play I'd probably jump on it.

My father, who was a very good golfer, played Augusta in 1981, on the day after the tournament. He was working for an official provider to ANGC and had Seve's caddy for the day (at that time players I believe had to use an ANGC caddy instead of their own). Everything was kept from Sunday-pin and tee locations, and the course was mown as it was for the final round. He shot 78 and said that once you got the speed of the greens, all you had to do was listen to your caddy-he knew everything and always put you on the right line. All in all, he said the course was somewhat easy. It's wide open and the greens are fairly large. Don't miss it in a bad spot and you'll be fine.

That's easy to say for him, he qualified for PGA events back then. For me, I wouldn't break 100. My putting would kill any chance of a decent score.

1. Could you break 100 on Augusta National in tournament conditions and length? If I'm in mid season form, I think I could because my short game is pretty good.
2. What do you think your score would be? Probably right between the 85-90 mark.
3. What would you pay to try??? Up to $500.

1. Probably not but I would be trying
2. 105
3. I'm good for pretty much whatever the cost.

1. Nope

2. Maybe 120 if I didn't run out of balls.

3. $1000. It's Augusta.

1) Yes...
2) 99.9
3) Probably whatever they told me to pay.

Break 100 in tournament conditions, no

I think I would shoot 115ish

Id pay up to $1500 to play

1.Tournament conditions and lengths? Not a chance. While it does not have an official USGA Slope and Rating, in 2010 Dean Knuth estimated from the tips it would be 78.1 and slope of 137.

2.105-115. Most par 4's would take me 3 shots to get there. Then have to tackle the greens from there. Just going off yardages, I doubt I could get to 1, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 17, 18 in two shots. That leaves only 3 really as a par 4 I could reach in two. I'd be hitting driver off the 4th hole(par 3), but the others would be irons most likely.

3.I'd sell my soul.

Members tees, might have a chance at 100. Course would play 6,300 yards and some of those long par 4's are much more attainable. Greens still have to be dealt with, but if we are talking about non tournament conditions I'd think they would be a touch slower in speed. 1st cut is probably shaved down to what it used to be too.
The more I think about it, the more I'm with you about selling the soul. I'm not sure how high the number would have to be for me to say no.

1. No I do not think I would break 100. Reason why would be because of putting on the green. After seeing the course in person tee to green is not bad it would be roll of the ball that would drive the score up for me. 7400ish is long but lots of slope for roll out so length would not be my biggest concern.

2. 115-125 I think would be my score under tourney conditions

3. I would pay whatever it took and at least that way when my wife divorces me I won't have any money left.

No way I'd break 100.

Probably shoot in the 130 range.

Max I'd pay? $300-$500 It's ANGC sure, but at the end of the day it's a golf course, and I can spend my money elsewhere doing things with my family.

1. No
2. 110-115
3. $1,000

1... I can't break 100 on some muni courses so... no.
2. On a good day, probably 105-115, the greens are what would kill you.
3. Pretty much whatever they ask.

1. No chance in hell I break 100.
2. Probably like 125.
3. I would probably pay at least $500.

Back