Best Cut of Ribs?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
GG and myself are having an email conversation with a friend and this topic came up. In fact it was asked what THPers would say, so here is the thread. Sound off with what is your favorite cut and why.

Baby Back
St. Louis
Spare Ribs

I'm going St Louis. They are meaty enough without being too thick in areas. What are you going with, JB?

St Louis

Beef rib is the best of them all though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Depends on situation, if just for friends and a bbq, I go to baby back normally, if it’s competition It’s spare ribs trimmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
I'm going St Louis. They are meaty enough without being too thick in areas. What are you going with, JB?

Most likely St Louis if I am cooking them myself. Iberico ideally.

Generally the meat is better (in my experience) on the belly side, more fat to render and keep the meat there more juicy.

I say the whole spare which you can also cut the St. Louis portion from which is typically what I smoke.

Two answers in one ;)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I prefer St. Louis style ribs. I used to be a baby back person, but the more I get into BBQ the more I like the St. Louis cut way better.

My vote is also for St. Louis style I like a little more meat on my ribs than the baby backs

I prefer St. Louis style ribs. I used to be a baby back person, but the more I get into BBQ the more I like the St. Louis cut way better.

Also after trimming spare to be St. Louis you can make some nice burnt ends!

St. Louis.....all day every day

St. Louis cut are my favorite and I often do just like mielke. You can often find some nice spare ribs for a good cost and trim them down to a great looking rack of St. Louis style. If anyone is curious, plenty of YouTube videos showing what to cut off.

St. Louis style. Although I like them all when done correctly.

St Louis for sure. More meat and easier to prep. Baby back are too small.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I eat ribs a few times a year, but when I’m smoking them at home I always buy St. Louis. @Parrot should weigh in - he’s knows a thing or 2 about ribs.

I like them all!!! Y'all should try Country Style ribs sometime. We have done them the last couple of times and they were darn tasty

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I eat ribs a few times a year, but when I’m smoking them at home I always buy St. Louis. @Parrot should weigh in - he’s knows a thing or 2 about ribs.

St. Louis are my favorites. But all the stores here carry mostly baby back and I usually don’t take the time or am too lazy to cut down spares to St. Louis.

Baby back hands down.

There are really no wrong answers here, first off.

But the more I get into it, I'm kind of going in the opposite direction as the rest of you. I initially preferred St Louis but now find myself enjoying baby back quite a bit more. But, like I said, ribs are delicious.

@JB have we done a wet vs dry rib thread? Was it moved to the debate room already?

@JB have we done a wet vs dry rib thread? Was it moved to the debate room already?

Wet vs. dry how? In the cook or how you eat it?

I add a little sauce at end of cook to let tack up a little then just eat away, no more sauce needed. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Either one. Again, not really any wrong answers here.

St Louis is delightful. Ribs are ribs though, and I’m just happy I’m eating ribs.

BB's are more meaty and I like them a lot, but I usually do spare ribs cut down to St. Louis style. The remaining pieces are rib-tips that I either put on the grill and sauce them or deep fry the individual tips and serve them as appetizers.

I like the spare ribs. Just moreeat and when cooked right they are amazing.

St. Louis cut are my favorite and I often do just like mielke. You can often find some nice spare ribs for a good cost and trim them down to a great looking rack of St. Louis style. If anyone is curious, plenty of YouTube videos showing what to cut off.

Absolutely the correct answer

Back