How often do you change iron shafts?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We are all guilty of trying different shafts in our drivers. Why? Because its so easy to interchange shafts with adapters and screws. Recently, I've been thinking about a shaft change in my irons and realized I've only changed the shafts from the factory once, ever. Do you change shafts often? Why/whynot? Do you do the work yourself or pay someone to do it?

I experiment alot. The irons I'm playing right now have had 4 different shafts in them over the last 18 months.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I experiment alot. The irons I'm playing right now have had 4 different shafts in them over the last 18 months.

What have you experimented with or what are you trying to achieve?

Never changed shafts in irons before, but also have only played maybe 4-5 different sets in my lifetime. All kept same shafts.

I've never changed iron shafts with the same set. Iron shafts have only changed by acquiring a new set altogether.

I have reshafted irons twice.

The first change was from modus 120x to modus 130s. I made the change because the 120x while they felt nice initially, I was starting to feel like I could move the handle too much. It was likely all in my head, but it was there. The ballflight i was subjectively seeing was a low spinny riser with the 120x, and immediately after the switch it felt like a higher launching lower spinning shot. More importantly I liked the change.

I also reshafted a set of used clubs that I had purchased on the cheap to have ctaper s+ in them since I wanted to try them. In them before were dynamic gold r300 sl or something I never actually used.

Right now I'm starting to think about a shaft change for my f9s. The ctaper lite was nice initially, but going back to my ctaper 120s,125s+, and modus 130s I really like the weight. I will possibly keep the ctaper lite in the long irons, but am thinking of putting ctapers back in the mid, short, and wedges.

The biggest driver for me wanting to change is mental. If I feel like something is off I start playing worse pretty quickly.

I've never done the work myself. After this change I may invest in some of the equipment to do it myself but I'm not sure if that will be beneficial down the road.

I've reshafted irons a few times, but once I find something I like I generally stick with it. Was KBS Tour 120s for a good while, now the Modus 120. I did dip my toe in the graphite offerings a couple of seasons ago but it wasn't a good fit for me.

We are all guilty of trying different shafts in our drivers. Why? Because its so easy to interchange shafts with adapters and screws. Recently, I've been thinking about a shaft change in my irons and realized I've only changed the shafts from the factory once, ever. Do you change shafts often? Why/whynot? Do you do the work yourself or pay someone to do it?

I would say based on your current WITB you could definitely benefit from some new shafts.:arrogant:

I've had 3 sets of clubs in the past 11 years and so I've had 3 different sets of irons shafts. Now driver shafts are a whole different story, I think I have 5 different ones currently....

I've played a few different models of shafts over the years but I've never re-shafted them. If I had the ability to do it at home I may be more inclined to try it but the cost keeps me from doing it.

Every year?

I really don’t like change as much as I do it haha

I would say based on your current WITB you could definitely benefit from some new shafts.:arrogant:

Haha notice my THCE shaft is still in play! Love that thing. What would you suggest for irons? I’m looking for something maybe a touch lighter..

How often do you change iron shafts?

I rarely change iron shafts. For me it’s an issue of cost as I don’t have the ability to do it myself. Most of the time I’m really happy with my iron set up so no need to tinker like I do with my woods.

I always experiment but always end up with something that feels like X100.. Just the feel I"m used to.

I have changed iron shafts one time from the original shafts that were in my J15s. They were the stock length and I needed them longer and happened to win a Twitter contest for a custom set of Dynamic Gold shafts which was quite convenient.

8b7d0687d3fb3bd4bd6a716b87b6c35c.jpg

I only recall changing iron shafts once. When I was gaming the Srixon Z 545 irons with Recoil 95 F4 shafts, I was curious how I would like a little heavier Recoil shaft so I bought a set of the 110's and put those in the 545 heads. Did not like them as much so chaged back to the 95's after about a month. Did the shaft swaps myself.

What have you experimented with or what are you trying to achieve?
Basically seeing what I think feels best for me. Some have worked better than others... some have felt too loose or soft, others like the PX Rifle 6.5 and c taper x shafts felt too boardy. These irons have had c tapers, c taper lites, KBS Tours, x100's, PX Rifle 6.5s, and PX LZ 6.5's. The LZ and the KBS Tour 130x have felt the best to me. These currently have the LZ shafts in them.

Never changed mine.. also never been fitted for irons/shafts so would be interesting to see what I would be recommended to

Ive changed the shafts in my iblades 3 times. Im a big fan of project x but went with the modus 120. Hated them so I put a set of KBS 120 in them. Those were decent but skying my 7-pw. I found my current set on the bay for super cheap and I they are great. Get my 4, 5 and 6 up but keep my 7-pw down a bit. I wanted px LZ but the cost was just too much. At first I was nervous doing the shaft swap but its really not that hard. Graphites are a different story (unless you have a shaft puller)

Back