The Home Renovation Thread

Was thinking natural but also pondering a concrete solution. To say we are undecided is an understatement. Hahaha

Concrete is great if you're not the one pouring it :D

So i learned how to drywall over the weekend... Probably should start working on my basement... We need some extra space...

So i learned how to drywall over the weekend... Probably should start working on my basement... We need some extra space...

I've done some this winter, it really isn't that hard, the first few sheets are painful, but you quickly get the hang of it

I've done some this winter, it really isn't that hard, the first few sheets are painful, but you quickly get the hang of it

My father in law "the pro" made a few mistakes cutting this weekend so I know exactly what not to do. Luckily we had a whole flatbed of drywall for supply

My father in law "the pro" made a few mistakes cutting this weekend so I know exactly what not to do. Luckily we had a whole flatbed of drywall for supply

So you're saying he didn't measure twice and cut once

So we have a leak in our window sill somewhere and it's causing major water damage to the wall underneath it.

I am going to attempt to fix this myself. I think I can do it. I just need to figure out where the leak is coming from, and then I think I can do the rest. I am so tired of paying people thousands of dollars to fix this stuff. To have someone fix it I am looking at somewhere between $1500-$2000.

If you need any help I live like 10 minutes away and have a lot of free time until I find a new job

6bca4b90e4299461b21d4847b07ca0b5.jpg

2e81eaa73d562a7115f9851985049ae0.jpg

Working on the nursery for the fast approaching newborn a lot lately, felt good to tear out all the lath and plaster and start fresh, still some work to do before the baby comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, looks like we will be redoing our deck here very soon. 7 years ago we replaced the floorboards and railings, but I was young and cheap and foolish, and didn't buy pressure treated material. What a dumb move.

Hoping to get it completely built from the ground up here within the next week or so. Let the deck demolishing begin!

Long drawn out process, but all the retaining walls are finished.

bb307ee07e1711f93657a184c5db1997.jpg

Lower wall is massive! Soon the pool guys will be here digging a lap pool, and hot tub!

e0b32377ee94e4d155abac7490c300b6.jpg

e33f5da9a904ff307256a85842beed55.jpg

That looks awesome.

Lower wall is massive! Soon the pool guys will be here digging a lap pool, and hot tub!

e0b32377ee94e4d155abac7490c300b6.jpg

e33f5da9a904ff307256a85842beed55.jpg
Are you building your own place Kevin? Looks awesome!

Hahahahaha no dude this is way over my pay scale. The walls/excavation were more than I care to think about!

Did you have to use the geogrid fabric on the big wall or were the screws enough?

The Home Renovation Thread

The lower wall had the geo grid, starts out at 16' back then stepped back 2' per 3 lifts (24") Minimum of 98% compaction with less than 5% moisture required per 6" lift of compacted fill based on a soil proctor. First 30" behind the wall are filled with #57 stone with a series of connected drain tile to control rain water.

The upper wall has the soil screws, and we poured an 18" X 24" grade beam at all three levels, with 4 #6 bar running horizontally and tied into each screw.

The lower wall had the geo grid, starts out at 16' back then stepped back 2' per 3 lifts (24") Minimum of 98% compaction with less than 5% moisture required per 6" lift of compacted fill based on a soil proctor. First 30" behind the wall are filled with #57 stone with a series of connected drain tile to control rain water.

The upper wall has the soil screws, and we poured an 18" X 24" grade beam at all three levels, with 4 #6 bar running horizontally and tied into each screw.

That's the way I'd have gone too.....

No...I have no idea what any of that means. :alien: BUT it's looking like it's going to be really really nice when it's done!

No...I have no idea what any of that means. :alien: BUT it's looking like it's going to be really really nice when it's done!

Hahahahaha it's just dirt and stone.

Smashed together with very little moisture content in the ground.

I love this sort of stuff. I've been stuck on a renovation project for the past few years and I miss excavations, foundations, and structural steel.

My thoughts exactly. I was lost after "The lower wall had". :alien:

I love this sort of stuff. I've been stuck on a renovation project for the past few years and I miss excavations, foundations, and structural steel.

The beauty of those things is you know going up you're in control of plumb, level and square. Where in renovations your stuck with someone else's mess.

The beauty of those things is you know going up you're in control of plumb, level and square. Where in renovations your stuck with someone else's mess.

I always like looking at a wall and realizing that the square someone used had an "ish" setting...... In our last house the walls moved a solid 2" in and out. I know some of that is just from settling, but still it takes a lot of trim to cover that up and keep the floor looking good.

That's not near as bad as the nailed down linoleum flooring though, that took some work to remove.

Those walls look great!

Is the upper wall the same SRW system as the lower? They look a bit different in the pics.

Is the upper wall the same SRW system as the lower? They look a bit different in the pics.

Different materials and system
Completely. Upper wall is lock and load.

Back