How do you like to play new courses?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
When playing a course for the first time, do you like direction from someone that has played it? If so, do you like to be told where to hit it or where not to hit it?

I like to be told where to hit vs what to avoid. It helps me shape what shot I want to hit instead what miss I want to avoid.

Yes course knowledge is always a bonus. Especially if there is trouble I am unaware of or cannot see. Please share!

I'm like you, just tell me where to hit it and I'll figure the rest out.

I like course knowledge also! It never hurts to have someone give you some extra information to make your decisions with!!!

I like being told you want to be down the left hand side rather than make sure you don't go right. I think being told that way just puts a good thought in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do like playing with someone who knows the course. I like to know where I want the shot to go as opposed to what to avoid.

I love it when someone tells me, "Ok, this is a tough green. Don't hit it right because the slope is darn near impossible to 2 putt. Don't hit it left because it's straight downhill and chipping is almost impossible. Don't go long because there is a big hill than runs down to water. Oh, and don't be short because it's hard there."

So basically hit it within 10 feet of the pin either way and you'll be fine. :D

LOL.

It's always nice to have someone to be able to guide me where to go. I'd always prefer the "hit it here" instead of "don't hit it here". Positivity for my mind :)

I like knowing what the hole does if its unclear off the tee and i also like knowing where i can and cant miss

I generally like to know how much room I have on holes. The yardage may say driver but the fw runs out and I should have hit a 5w, that is great information to have in hand.

I like hearing the positive vibes of "where to hit it and you will be golden" vs "don't get wet on the right" then splash...

if i'm playing a new course with someone who has played it before, i'll bother the crap out of them asking a million questions about what to do, where to hit, where the trouble is, etc. i don't really know how much that actually helps me, though. it's rare that i play a course that has a hidden hazard that only people with local knowledge are aware of. and in my opinion, that's a stupid course design element anyway.

I don't mind advice where to hit it. It's hard to see some danger spots even with pics on the scorecard.

I like having some info on a blind shot or if a hazard is hidden or not easily recognizable. It's always better to be told where to hit it instead of where not to hit it.

Some of the best rounds of golf I've played are at courses I don't know where trouble is at, what part of the greens are bad and no one in my ear telling me what to do. :peace2:

I like to know both. I want to know where the target area is and where the trouble is. This way I can try to hit a shot that ends up in the target area, but also minimizes my risk of being in big trouble if I miss. For example, if there is rough to the left of the target area and water to the right, I'll aim left of the target area and try to fade it into the target area. This way if I miss a little left or hit it straight, I'm not in trouble, and only a big slice will land me in the drink.

Other than being advised of non-visible hazards by someone with course knowledge, I would rather make my own decisions about how to play a hole based on my game.

I'm with you Freddie. I like to know where I should be hitting it rather than where NOT to hit it, in most cases. Positives in my mind over negatives if I can.

Just tell me where to hit the ball...........and that's where it will go :)

But really..sure I do want some info of the layouts and tips on yardages to hazrds etc... Nothing worse than hitting a good ball only to find out the yardage and layout wre not what you thought. Just too many unknowns can make life a whole lot simpler once you are told about them. that's why imo for a number of reasons its like Dorothy says "there's no place like home"
But that doesn't take away the nice nor desire feeling of playing a new course. Its always good thing.

For a new course I will take any good advice. I prefer to be told where to hit. It's more of a positive feeling than trying to avoid something

Yes course knowledge is always a bonus. Especially if there is trouble I am unaware of or cannot see. Please share!

So you want to know where not to hit it?

I love it when someone tells me, "Ok, this is a tough green. Don't hit it right because the slope is darn near impossible to 2 putt. Don't hit it left because it's straight downhill and chipping is almost impossible. Don't go long because there is a big hill than runs down to water. Oh, and don't be short because it's hard there."

So basically hit it within 10 feet of the pin either way and you'll be fine. :D

LOL.

You are my inspiration for this thread after Lee spelled doom and gloom on every hole.

I love getting the local knowledge when I can get it, but I usually want all the info i can get then decide my shot from there. I usually like to play new courses super aggressively. Ill go for every par 5 in two if I can, pin hunt, etc. I play that way because its more fun to test a new course out and see how badly it can punish me for my blatant disregard of its dangers. Im silly like that lol.

I like to know both. I want to know where the target area is and where the trouble is. This way I can try to hit a shot that ends up in the target area, but also minimizes my risk of being in big trouble if I miss. For example, if there is rough to the left of the target area and water to the right, I'll aim left of the target area and try to fade it into the target area. This way if I miss a little left or hit it straight, I'm not in trouble, and only a big slice will land me in the drink.

Do you think knowing where the trouble is effects your swing in any way? Do you think you swing freely know where the trouble is be just knowing where your target is?

Back