Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I took the plunge an ordered a Steelhead 4 Hybrid from CPO. This is probably the forth or fifth hybrid I have tried through the past few years and I always give up on them. I have had a bit more success lately with my Tour Edge HL 5 iron wood so I decided to give a 4 hybrid a chance...again.

Part of my struggle is finding a ball position that works for me and quite frankly the tips I have read are contradictory. Some say to play it more towards the middle of the stance like a 7 iron while others have said play them more towards the front of the lead foot, but not quite as much as a fairway wood. I really want to learn to hit one with at least a modicum of success.

So I am curious as to where you guys position the ball in your stance when hitting hybrids as well as any other tips y'all can give this me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I put mine about the same spot I would a 5i: ball, maybe ball and a half forward of center. I don't think about hitting down on it or sweeping it, I just hit it.

I put them the same spot as the equivalent iron, if that makes sense.

I am probably not the best to be giving advice on this subject as I have found consistent success with exactly one hybrid (the OG Apex 4 hybrid), but I play it like Wardy does. Almost never take a divot with it. Of course, I am not a big divot taker with irons either. Put it a little forward of center and just hit it.

Towards the front foot, unless you're trying to punch it low under trees or such then it would be towards middle.

I put mine about the same spot I would a 5i: ball, maybe ball and a half forward of center. I don't think about hitting down on it or sweeping it, I just hit it.

Sames. Just hit from slightly forward in the stance. But don’t try to sweep it. That leads to a big ole hook. Just hit it.

I put them the same spot as the equivalent iron, if that makes sense.

I go about a ball forward of where I’d play the corresponding iron.

So, I took the plunge an ordered a Steelhead 4 Hybrid from CPO. This is probably the forth or fifth hybrid I have tried through the past few years and I always give up on them. I have had a bit more success lately with my Tour Edge HL 5 iron wood so I decided to give a 4 hybrid a chance...again.

Part of my struggle is finding a ball position that works for me and quite frankly the tips I have read are contradictory. Some say to play it more towards the middle of the stance like a 7 iron while others have said play them more towards the front of the lead foot, but not quite as much as a fairway wood. I really want to learn to hit one with at least a modicum of success.

So I am curious as to where you guys position the ball in your stance when hitting hybrids as well as any other tips y'all can give this me.

I’m sticking with the ironwoods. I can’t hit hybrids either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say play it like an iron. It's just a more forgiving iron for people who have difficulty hitting long irons. That's all it is. Just a little forward of center and go for it.

Take some relaxed swings back and forth with it and get to feel the club head. Get used to where the club head is. Then let it rip.

I go about a ball forward of where I’d play the corresponding iron.

I can support this. Off the deck I keep it back in equivalent position as stated, to keep me from getting too sweepy off the deck. And to use the help and forgiveness to my advantage by maintaining a steep crisp strike. Off the tee, I would play a ball forward. It is a longer shaft after all.

I play it like an iron as well. I have heard people say that some OEMs design hybrids to be swept whereas other design them to be hit like an iron. I don't know if there is any truth to that.

I hit everything the same way. Just the way I play and was taught. Same swing for everything. I do move ball position forward in my stance as clubs get longer. It helps me get my weight shifted off my back foot. If not for that, I am going to hit it fat every single time.

Welcome back to the Hybrid club, and an excellent choice with a forgiving/distance hybrid with plenty of relief with the raised toe.

I used to setup with the ball position a little more forward in my stance but I notice the ball not going as high, more like a line-drive hit, perhaps something to do if I'm hitting in the wind. Now I set it up pretty much like my mid-irons, middle of my stance and fire away. Much higher flight.

it's a long iron replacement. play it where you would play a long iron.

I read something recently (I believe from Golf Digest) that said, for hybrid play, to place the ball about a clubhead length back from your inside foot, and stand with your feet slightly closer together than shoulder width. I figured what the hell and gave it a try. It's really made a huge difference. Been doing this set up for 3 or 4 rounds, and have had more success with my hybrid than I ever had previously. Helps me to hit down on the ball like an iron more so than sweeping at it. Give it a try!

I find a hybrid so versatile that I put it forward or back in the stance a lot to vary shot height. Standard shot I put it the same as corresponding iron but I have a lot more confidence moving it around

Let's try to diagnose the problem first so that we know what's going on. When you swing these hybrids where do they bottom out in relation to your stance? Do they bottom out at exactly the same spot on every swing or does the bottom move around? If it moves around how much forward and back from the 'normal' spot they bottom out? How long are your divots as an average and a range? Relative to where you bottom out, how far behind that do you start to scuff the ground as an average and range? What direction do your divots point in relation to your target line?

Let's try to diagnose the problem first so that we know what's going on. When you swing these hybrids where do they bottom out in relation to your stance? Do they bottom out at exactly the same spot on every swing or does the bottom move around? If it moves around how much forward and back from the 'normal' spot they bottom out? How long are your divots as an average and a range? Relative to where you bottom out, how far behind that do you start to scuff the ground as an average and range? What direction do your divots point in relation to your target line?
It has been a while since ai have tried a hybrid more than just a swing or two so I really can answer most of your questions. I can tell you that I tend to be a picker with little to no divot at all. I plan on trying to play the hybrid tomorrow so maybe I can get some answers to these questions.

... Titleist makes an H1 that is made to be hit with a sweeping action and H2 that is made to be hit like an iron. That said some are tweeters and can be hit either way but most favor one action over the other. So finding the right hybrid for your style of play is key. I do both depending on the situation but love to sweep my 19* just brushing the grass when I need distance while taking a shallow divot for shots were distance control is important. What we do with ball position will probably be of little help to you as each of us have a different swing, low point and AOA. I would recommend playing a practice round hitting it off every tee and for most shots in the fairway or rough and see what balls position and how you hit it works best for you.

I was told something once when at a golf shop and it's stuck with me because it was hilarious at the time yet has worked for me.

The guy said it's ball position for ball position. I was confused and he laughed. Then he explained. 9 pw gw play from your right testicle. 6, 7, 8 straight down your 15th shaft. Hybrid and long irons left testicle (all for right handed golfers).

I tried it and haven't looked back since.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

FWIW, Michael Breed did a segment on hybrids during the PGA telecast. He said to play it back in the stance a little bit (experiment to find what works best for you), keep the chest pointed toward the ground and hit down on it. Since taking that advice I've been hitting so really solid hybrids!

Thanks for all the feedback y'all!!! I took the 4 hybrid out today for it's maiden voyage and overall it was a success. I only got to hit it a few times on the range as I have to limit my swings during a round due to some back issues, but I played it a bit more towards my front foot than in the past and it seemed to work working out better.

I hit it a handful of times on course and with the exception of one time where I popped it up off the tee I had pretty good results. Looking forward to hitting it again and I don't know that I've ever said that about hybrid.

I was told something once when at a golf shop and it's stuck with me because it was hilarious at the time yet has worked for me.

The guy said it's ball position for ball position. I was confused and he laughed. Then he explained. 9 pw gw play from your right testicle. 6, 7, 8 straight down your 15th shaft. Hybrid and long irons left testicle (all for right handed golfers).

I tried it and haven't looked back since.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I love this!!

Play mine exactly as I would a 4 iron....just a few inches inside the lead heel.

Haven’t read the other replies as I didn’t want it to influence my reply.

I position them (no matter the # behind them) and swing like it’s a 3i. Going one step further since I don’t play a 3i anymore since my current 4i is lofted stronger than my old 3i, I try to think of a swing midway between a FW and a 4i.

Hybrids are awesome if you can hit them. They can be a blessing and a curse. For some, they can be hook machines. I carry one, a 4h. The only reason I do anymore is for chunk outs and trying to get a decent advance from a crap lie. My 4h goes about the same distance as my 5i. Once in a very great while I’ll use it off the tee. It’s a good club, but I can do everything except chunk out and advance it from bad lies better with an iron. It’s a luxury club since I only need 2 true wedges.

Back