sean4par

Reaction score
Handicap
Over the last number of years, every time I go either get fitted or just talk with a fitter at a golfsmith (years ago) or more recently PGA superstore, they always do the wrist to floor measurement and tell me 1/2” longer than standard regardless of the manufacturer. I understand each manufacturer could have a different standard length. I also will hit balls and they stick with +1/2” recommendations. Just seems that when hitting the “standard” demo clubs I hit them just fine. I play +1/2” fine but no better or worse than when I hit standard. Similar flight, spin, distance, etc. Anyone have similar experiences?

Thanks
Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say hit what feels right, in the grand scheme of things 1/2 inch is not that much. For me, I can tell that I need a longer length shaft but I am 1.5" over standard. So I tend to top the ball so when I have demoed clubs that had the right length it did have better flight and distance.

If your comfortable with standard stick with it. I know with a driver I prefer shorter than standard because the length of these drivers are ridiculous. Irons I tend to stay standard or even -.25. Was it the standard fitting they offer at PGA SS or a paid fitting?

I say hit what feels right, in the grand scheme of things 1/2 inch is not that much. For me, I can tell that I need a longer length shaft but I am 1.5" over standard. So I tend to top the ball so when I have demoed clubs that had the right length it did have better flight and distance.

+1
CC.jpg

I play a 38" 5i. I'm not 100% sure how this correlates to +1/2", +1/4", -3/36", or whatever from any manufacturers and, honestly, it doesn't make all that much difference. I've built every set of irons I've gamed for any significant amount of time in the past 19 years so it is what it is. All I know is, for me, I like a "higher" swingweight (D4ish) in my irons so I like the extra length to give me the extra 3 points right off the bat. To be honest, any length can be fit to anyone (outside the extremes) as long as the lie angle can be adjusted. If your "standard" PW is 64° lie and 36" long and you're provided a 37" long PW, then if you bend the lie down to 62° you should end up with a playable club. It'll sure feel weird at the start, but it should work. On the other hand, if you have a 4i that's 1" too short, you should be able to bend it 2° upright and end up with a playable club. The variable that's not as easy to control is the swingweight.

Back