Callaway Growing the Game Outside of the Box

chpar4

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering if anyone else has wondered if the "Outside the Box" approach and thinking of Callaway marketing is helping draw younger, non golfing kids to the game. Puma/Cobra has Ricky/Lexi. Callaway approach with the parnerships WITH DudePerfect, Bryan Bros, J Timberlake, Wahlberg, Adam Levine, etc.. seem to me to be reaching an audience that the traditional golfer may not normally think of as a base to go after. My son who is 28 was over Sunday and said hey dad, ever heard of these guys DudePerfect you have to check them out. Told him I was already "hip to them". I just think this strategy will be a win for them. I don't see anyone else coping the format yet, but time will tell. I think it's a fantastic direction to an untapped market. I am a traditionalist when it come to golf but if it brings more diversity to the game then it can't be bad can it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think several companies will try and imitate what Callaway does on multiple levels but I am not sure any have the talent in place or the freedom to make the bold moves needed.

Last edited:
Just haven't seen the imitation start yet. Best form of flattery.

I think they realize they have to go outside of traditional Golf avenues to generate interest and revenue. They are doing awesome with their media productions and putting out fresh and engaging content. It doesn't feel forced or fake & I like that

It depends. I enjoy what Callaway does and like how they are growing their client base. In fact I think they have done it better than everybody else in the last few years and that is not a coincidence.

Im not sure you could say they are going younger than than everybody else (in terms of marketing), rather than just grow it. Nike has gone very young with their message.

I just happen to think that golf has been a stagnant sport that needed an influx and most companies have stayed away from trying to do that very thing and follow the digital trends.

Creativity and Innovation brings direct copying repeatedly. Doesn't make it fun, doesn't make it right, but it happens. The entire idea that its the sincerest form of flattery comes from someone that doesn't get copied repeatedly...haha

The difference between those that are successful and those that are not, is how well they adapt to those things and THAT to me is what Callaway does very well.

Just haven't seen the imitation start yet. Best form of flattery.

Speaking to several companies at the PGA show, many were trying to figure out how they can try to catch up to what Callaway is doing. Especially with social media. Callaway is just so far ahead for most it seems like a very daunting task.

Speaking to several companies at the PGA show, many were trying to figure out how they can try to catch up to what Callaway is doing. Especially with social media. Callaway is just so far ahead for most it seems like a very daunting task.

When multiple people from other companies were asking for introductions to Hashtag and others you take notice.

It depends. I enjoy what Callaway does and like how they are growing their client base. In fact I think they have done it better than everybody else in the last few years and that is not a coincidence.

Im not sure you could say they are going younger than than everybody else (in terms of marketing), rather than just grow it. Nike has gone very young with their message.

I just happen to think that golf has been a stagnant sport that needed an influx and most companies have stayed away from trying to do that very thing and follow the digital trends.

Creativity and Innovation brings direct copying repeatedly. Doesn't make it fun, doesn't make it right, but it happens. The entire idea that its the sincerest form of flattery comes from someone that doesn't get copied repeatedly...haha

The difference between those that are successful and those that are not, is how well they adapt to those things and THAT to me is what Callaway does very well.
I totally agree, they are way ahead of the curve on this. And the fact they keep evolving is a testament to the team. Just when you get used to a format, it changes and is usually for the better. I for one was disappointed when Rhi and ICYMI went away, but they moved on. Too long of one thing gets stale (absolutely no disrespect to #MVRhi, such a great person) but more of the same is stagnant. They just get it better than anyone else out there right now.

I think several companies with try and imitate what Callaway does on multiple levels but I am not sure any have the talent in place or the freedom to make the bold moves needed.
I agree with this and we are already seeing it with some companies going back to classic names for new releases

I think Callaway's thinking is solid but honestly, it's Amanda Balionis for me. She is super cute and an excellent addition.

Callaway does things different than others. Plus, they are trying to open the brand via other avenues, like Dude Perfect and Bryan Bros. Their content is fun, they aren't trying to sell golf clubs as much as put the products in front of an audience. With Dude Perfect and Bryan Brothers having the fan base they do, it wouldn't be hard to imagine a kids saying, "I want to try that!" Then they think, "I need the same equipment they use, so I can do that too. What do they use again? Callaway?" It makes a LOT of sense. It's a strong model that has shown to be effective for a NUMBER of major companies, in other areas of goods.

I think Callaway's thinking is solid but honestly, it's Amanda Balionis for me. She is super cute and an excellent addition.

Pretty sure THPers will get to meet her at The Grandaddy. You should sign up.

Pretty sure THPers will get to meet her at The Grandaddy. You should sign up.
Amanda Balionis: Nice to meet you

Blugold's brain: *ok play it cool, we got this.*

Blugold: Nice to meet you, I see you also wear socks.

While I do think that Callaway is playing enough of a different game that they're finding new market space to expand into, I also think there has to be a pretty big gap in terms of market share that already existed. Callaway used this new movement and some very good new products to go from second through fourth in market share in many categories to first or second, and while that's absolutely nothing to sneeze at, it's not something everybody can emulate no matter how much money or brain power they throw at marketing.

In terms of growing the game by thinking outside the box, the only company I see specifically targeting youth beyond hype or marketing style is Cobra. I'd like to think their marketing team will get there, but I think they're the only company putting front and center products that specifically target youth while looking exactly the same as what's in Rickie's bag.

I just think Callaway has a fantastic multi-faceted approach to delivering their message. Through the slightly different personalities that they partner with/sponsor, to how much they support a website like THP. No one in the industry reaches the masses and is as directly engaging with their customers as Callaway.

Through events like #TheGrandaddy, you have a company that not only is extending the most amazing experience toTHPers, but is also there and being a part of it. I know I would have a very hard time supporting another company after Callaway changed my golf life like they did. Simply put, they get it and we all benefit.

*she becomes confused as she noticed Blu forgot to wear socks that day*

Can't say much, I'm sure a good teenage boy hitting puberty voice would decide to show up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I really love what Callaway is doing, and it seems like some other manufacturers are starting to become more active in social media.

In response to the OP I like the way Callaway is branching out and trying to appeal to a larger group than the norm. I really think it will help Callaway as a whole and I like the route they are going.

Got a solid chuckle out of this one. :D

Everything that Callaway has done can be copied with exception of their investment in TopGolf. With that said, they have grown leaps and bounds over the last 5 years. I'm not sure that any other club manufacture comes within even a week of the turnaround time that Callaway does with regards to custom orders.

Also, I see them falling into some of the same traps that has arguably hurt TaylorMade so much over the same period; mostly as it relates to product turnover. Good for the golfer, bad for the industry.

I like the fact they improved their clubheads and started offering a variety of premium shafts at no upcharge. I don't pay attention to anything else.

Everything that Callaway has done can be copied with exception of their investment in TopGolf. With that said, they have grown leaps and bounds over the last 5 years. I'm not sure that any other club manufacture comes within even a week of the turnaround time that Callaway does with regards to custom orders.

Also, I see them falling into some of the same traps that has arguably hurt TaylorMade so much over the same period; mostly as it relates to product turnover. Good for the golfer, bad for the industry.

TopGolf is not their only investment business in the sport.
You should listen to the THP Radio show with Harry Arnett, he address your last sentence rather well and in detail.

I'm not sure that any other club manufacture comes within even a week of the turnaround time that Callaway does with regards to custom orders.

Slightly of topic. What is Callaway doing on custom orders? I ordered irons last week and was surprised that Mizuno would have had the custom irons to my local shop in 4 days and Ping had them there in a week. This is in Ohio so a good bit of that time would be shipping. I was impressed. That kind of turnaround on custom clubs takes a fairly nimble company.

TopGolf is not their only investment business in the sport.
You should listen to the THP Radio show with Harry Arnett, he address your last sentence rather well and in detail.

I know they also have an investment in Arcos (which I believe can be mimicked), what else?

Which THP show and around when?

Also, don't get me wrong, I am a very big fan of Callaway, but these types of things tend to be cyclical. However, if they have really figured out inventory management and pacing of products ahead of everyone else in the industry, they might be the first to make sustainable profit. That would be a very big deal.

I know they also have an investment in Arcos (which I believe can be mimicked), what else?

Which THP show and around when?

Also, don't get me wrong, I am a very big fan of Callaway, but these types of things tend to be cyclical. However, if they have really figured out inventory management and pacing of products ahead of everyone else in the industry, they might be the first to make sustainable profit. That would be a very big deal.

Check out iTunes The Hackers Paradise
The Harry Arnett Show is labeled right there in the last month.
Heck, you could enter to get into the Grandaddy and ask the CEO yourself as other THPers did last year. First contest is going on right this second. Easier than speculation, THP is giving access to those that make those decisions.

Golf and many other consumer goods is cyclical as a business. People however are not. Its one of the reasons that marketshare has not veered in categories for decades, despite copyable items.

Back