New Apple MacBook Pro is Coming

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The company announced plans for it's 8 core machine starting at $2800. Hmmmm.

Features include a Retina display with 500 nits of brightness, up to 32 GB of RAM, support for the P3 wide color gamut and True Tone technology, stereo speakers, Touch ID, a Touch Bar, a large Force Touch trackpad, fast SSD storage, the Apple T2 Security Chip, all-day battery life, Thunderbolt 3 ports (for data, charging, and displays), and macOS Mojave.

The new 8-core 15-inch MacBook Pros are available now. The starting price is $2,799 in Silver and Space Gray.

A guy can dream...

Sounds amazing but $2800?? My goodness

• Admin
That's a whole lot of coin for a computer. It would be nice to have but not sure it would be worth it for someone like me.

8core is pretty huge, and comes with a non-proportionally huge price tag from Apple.

Ya I think I will just keep the Mac I have, still running good.

I am still rocking my mid 2009 Macbook Pro 15 inch!

I am a bit scared of the keyboard issue on the new MBP. I really want to finally get a new one, but because of the keyboard I may go the mac mini route or go back to windows.

I am still rocking my mid 2009 Macbook Pro 15 inch!

I am a bit scared of the keyboard issue on the new MBP. I really want to finally get a new one, but because of the keyboard I may go the mac mini route or go back to windows.

Same, except I'm still using the original 2008 aluminum body model. Want a new one but scared of the keyboard issue too.

The 15" i9 isn't a machine that most people need, though. The i9 is going to carry a pretty massive price increase vs. the i7 because it's intel's highest end chip (and they're struggling to do anything in terms of performance gains). And the 15" line comes with a dedicated graphics card, which is going to add to the cost in a laptop.

Yes, Macs are expensive, and you can configure a machine that's (nominally) cheaper, but you're almost always giving something up - almost always the display, and the SSD speed is usually slower. The iMac is a perfect example. If you look up the prices of a 27" 5K P3 display, you're looking at about 1000 dollars. The same is true of the laptop screens, they're far better than the Dell laptops that are company is paying just about the same price for.

I wouldn't buy the i9, but I actually think the 15" base is not so bad a deal for what you get. Except for the damn keyboard.

The 15" i9 isn't a machine that most people need, though. The i9 is going to carry a pretty massive price increase vs. the i7 because it's intel's highest end chip (and they're struggling to do anything in terms of performance gains). And the 15" line comes with a dedicated graphics card, which is going to add to the cost in a laptop.

Yes, Macs are expensive, and you can configure a machine that's (nominally) cheaper, but you're almost always giving something up - almost always the display, and the SSD speed is usually slower. The iMac is a perfect example. If you look up the prices of a 27" 5K P3 display, you're looking at about 1000 dollars. The same is true of the laptop screens, they're far better than the Dell laptops that are company is paying just about the same price for.

I wouldn't buy the i9, but I actually think the 15" base is not so bad a deal for what you get. Except for the damn keyboard.

While true, and I use all Mac hardware, this is priced far higher than necessary when looking at hardware. They did the same with iMac Pro. Squeeze the ones that need that, but unfortunately with Adobe and Black Magic being cross platform, most graphics people are jumping.

While true, and I use all Mac hardware, this is priced far higher than necessary when looking at hardware. They did the same with iMac Pro. Squeeze the ones that need that, but unfortunately with Adobe and Black Magic being cross platform, most graphics people are jumping.

Yeah, I'm looking at Best Buy now and it looks like the XPS 15 with the i9 comes in at about 2700, and you're getting 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD there, so double on both for less money. The iMac Pro is a bit of a weird beast since it comes with the server-class processors and ECC RAM, which do cost quite a bit. That's a weird machine to me.

You and I are on the opposite side of what usually falls into the "Pro" category - you on the audio/video/photo side and I'm on the programming data side. But I think Microsoft and other PC makers are doing a great job going after both sides. I have seen a LOT of people move away for creative work, especially video, for the reasons you mention. All the apps are cross platform. And with the work MS is doing to improve command line stuff and make inroads back into scientific computing, I could see my next machine going that route.

The big hangup for me is the 3rd party application space - I've got a few tools (task managers, FTP tools, text editors) that just don't have reasonable equivalents in terms of polish on Windows. Right now, that's still worth spending a few hundred extra dollars on my machine every 4 years or so (easy to say when my company is footing the bill, I guess). But the calculus might change, especially for my personal machine - I've been limping along on and old laptop and using an iPad for consumption stuff because I can't bring myself to spend what they're asking for the 13" machine.

In a lot of ways, I can justify the $2800 one more than I can the $1700 one in terms of what you get.

Sounds amazing but $2800?? My goodness

I agree. I am able to do everything I want to do (design/video programs etc) on a $800 pc laptop. I would rather get a new one every few years than to spend that much at one time on unnecessary markup. Some professions may NEED something like this but for 99% of the population there is zero need for this option.

Except for the damn keyboard.

The 2019 MacBook Pros supposedly have an upgraded and improved keyboard. If things work out over the next couple of months I’ll probably get a new 13” w/ the i7 and 16GB of RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could go with the Alienware Area 51M. It is a laptop that houses a desktop, pretty much. It will only set you back $3300 and give you about 1.5 hours of battery plus hearing lose from the fans. To each their own but I am happy with my $800 Asus ROG.

The 2019 MacBook Pros supposedly have an upgraded and improved keyboard. If things work out over the next couple of months I’ll probably get a new 13” w/ the i7 and 16GB of RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm skeptical, as we heard the same thing about the 2018. I actually like the feel of the keyboard a lot. I've been lucky w/ the 2018 MacBook Pro, but not so much with my 12" MacBook, which is about to go in for its second KB replacement.

Going to hang on to my laptop a while longer. Keyboard/touchbar is straight garbage.

ugh what happen to the rumored 14'... ill def jump on one if they came out with that size. its crazy 2800 is a lot for a laptop but thats seems like a good deal considering i drop 1200+ on a new iphone every dang year. and yes i am a fanboy.

Back