TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

It was between the XR 16 and M2 for me while getting fit. Numbers and distance were very similar, but the misses with the XR were left bad. M2 misses were still straight-ish or a fade.

That's my experience but I will say when I nut one with XR16 it's pretty fun, just have to watch out for that occasional wide left which is not my ballflight yet prevalent in all of the recent Callaway releases over the past 3 years.

I was just surprised you jumped in and got one before the THP Event next month where they are available as prizes to the winning team.

I was long overdue for an upgrade as my Xhot had a crack at the hosel adapter. I think I can speak for everyone in the forum that it is good to have driver options! Looking forward to taking the XR home in May!:banana:

Hit about a dozen shots with the 10.5 M2 with a Speeder 661 Tour in S. It was a completely different club. Low flight, low spin, ball jumped forward when it hit. I had to work to hit the ball higher. I tended to hit fades. Went back to the Alpha 815 and proceeded to hit hook after hook from the neutral setting. Very interesting. I will be thinking about this for awhile.

Or, maybe, the inverted cone face tech's time has passed. The variable thickness just doesn't cover the range that others do, namely high toe and low heel.

That low heel is a majority of my misses! Any driver that produced added forgiveness in that area is one that not just me but ALOT of people would benefit from. Could it be the Inverted cone tech? Maybe.

That low heel is a majority of my misses! Any driver that produced added forgiveness in that area is one that not just me but ALOT of people would benefit from. Could it be the Inverted cone tech? Maybe.

Those low heel hits were killing everyone last weekend. It was at least 50 yards of carry distance shorter vs a decent strike.

Those low heel hits were killing everyone last weekend. It was at least 50 yards of carry distance shorter vs a decent strike.

Yeah like I said I was finding the center of the face quite often on it and it was really fun to hit and the numbers were pretty solid but once I got lazy or try to get really aggressive with it and my miss appeared low on that heal the numbers were concerning

I decided to put the M2 in to play today exclusively for my driver, rather than switch back and forth with my CG Black.

I am keeping this one lofted up, and having more success with it. To get my best results, I really focus on opening my stance a bit, setting it up with the ball on the toe and playing a massive cut. I think that setup keeps me from getting the heel miss and better luck at finding the center of the face.

My results today were playable, but I noticed a distance loss from my current driver (lateral misses across the face responsible for that). On my well struck shots, I was getting my typical fade and distance was comparable to what I typically see with my CG Black. My ball flight has greatly improved with the M2, and I attribute that directly to having it lofted up.

I really would like to see this driver in a 14* option. As I think for me it would be an ideal setup.

I've got this in the bag today - just killing it today - good swing day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am continuing to hit the M2 extremely well. Ridiculously well in fact. Yesterday I put it to the test on a really tight mountain course where even good drives sometimes aren't good enough and I only had 1 unfavorable outcome through 36 holes.

235 yard forced carry? Done. Twice.
Small cut around a slight dogleg? Done. Twice.
Straight bomb through a tiny tunnel of trees? Done. Twice.
Slight draw to cut a corner and shorten up a par 5? Done.

All in all I simply couldn't ask for more all-around performance out of a driver than M2/HZRDUS is giving me.

That's my experience but I will say when I nut one with XR16 it's pretty fun, just have to watch out for that occasional wide left which is not my ballflight yet prevalent in all of the recent Callaway releases over the past 3 years.
I have consistently had the same left troubles with virtually every Callaway driver I've hit. I suspect if they had an open setting on their adapter like some others, it would set up a little better for me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I am continuing to hit the M2 extremely well. Ridiculously well in fact. Yesterday I put it to the test on a really tight mountain course where even good drives sometimes aren't good enough and I only had 1 unfavorable outcome through 36 holes.

235 yard forced carry? Done. Twice.
Small cut around a slight dogleg? Done. Twice.
Straight bomb through a tiny tunnel of trees? Done. Twice.
Slight draw to cut a corner and shorten up a par 5? Done.

All in all I simply couldn't ask for more all-around performance out of a driver than M2/HZRDUS is giving me.
I can't say much other than what I've already said. Just filthy dude. Filthy. You are beyond dangerous when you ate driving it like this.

I have consistently had the same left troubles with virtually every Callaway driver I've hit. I suspect if they had an open setting on their adapter like some others, it would set up a little better for me.

Still playing a higher loft? If so go with the 13.5* or 12* and go -1/N setting. opens the face a bit

Still playing a higher loft? If so go with the 13.5* or 12* and go -1/N setting. opens the face a bit
Yeah I play my current drivers around 12. This is a good point, will have to give it a run.

TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

That is my problem exactly. I used to play the FT3 Tour and FT5 Tour in the Fade options - loved those 2 drivers and never wavered from them until they had one too many rounds on them.

You can do that very thing.

Yeah I play my current drivers around 12. This is a good point, will have to give it a run.

Actually the XR head in higher loft was a great experiment for me. Took 13.5 head and used 44" 70g stiff shaft and was just a easy club to hit.

You can do that very thing.
Yep, thanks to Alez for enlightening me as well. It's just a little less obvious and you have to take a higher lofted head than normal to do it, but it's there.

Anyways, apologies for dragging this M2 thread into off topic land haha

Yep, thanks to Alez for enlightening me as well. It's just a little less obvious and you have to take a higher lofted head than normal to do it, but it's there.

Anyways, apologies for dragging this M2 thread into off topic land haha

The interesting part is how mental (meaning in the mind) it all is for people. Because they are assuming all drivers are square and need that when in reality, many of the heads that offer it, are heel weighted or start closed to begin with.

The interesting part is how mental (meaning in the mind) it all is for people. Because they are assuming all drivers are square and need that when in reality, many of the heads that offer it, are heel weighted or start closed to begin with.
It is for sure. But in this game more than any other I think, perception is reality many times. All about comfort.

That being said, I'll admit I haven't hit a lot of the current driver crop in a while (or at all), so I need to give several of them a run.

Question for the guys that have swapped out the weight, how has this affected the performance of the driver for you?

Update:

I did some work last night at the range with mine against my G series, and found that when hitting head to head with these two drivers, I am starting to notice the lack of forgiveness the M2 provides with mishits. Generally, the flight of the ball doesn't seem to be hugely affected, however the distance loss is what I started to see. I am still loving how powerful my M2 feels when putting a solid strike on the ball. I have also started to prefer the sound over anything else I hit nowadays.

I will be definitely be taking this out with me on Saturday to hopefully hit some bombs and get some more on course experience with it!

Question for the guys that have swapped out the weight, how has this affected the performance of the driver for you?
I don't have any actual data but when I swapped the weight out it instantly improved the feel throughout the swing, launched the ball a touch higher, and improved the forgiveness a little bit. At least it feels more solid at impact on of center hits.

I added the weight purely for swing weighting purposes and any other benefits are just gravy at this point.

I don't have any actual data but when I swapped the weight out it instantly improved the feel throughout the swing, launched the ball a touch higher, and improved the forgiveness a little bit. At least it feels more solid at impact on of center hits.

I added the weight purely for swing weighting purposes and any other benefits are just gravy at this point.
Same here, and I also noticed a higher launch in comparison to just adding lead tape accross the bottom.
I attest that to the weight being farther back.
It is exactly what I wanted with the RBZ weight.

Messed around with shafts in my M2 and got some interesting and predictable results. Tour ADDI 7x gives me a higher flight and a little more carry than HZRDUS Black but at the obvious trade off of worse dispersion. I'd like to get ball speed readings between them both for curiosity sake but it doesn't really matter.
At this point for me and my game I just don't need the little bit of extra distance, and at the cost of fairways it's a non starter.

Hzrdus Black is back in the M2, and it's there to stay. Solid distance, unreal control, nice flight, great feel.

Day 1 of 4 days of golf in a row.

Played in a scramble. We used my drive on every hole. Averaged 280.

M2 mic drop.

Back