Bye Bye Wynn Golf Course?

Spivey

Reaction score
Handicap
7.6 GHIN
I wonder how much play that course gets compared to others?

It's a shame. Sounds like a pure economic decision to me!

Isn't the course used in that goofy movie on the golf channel with Peter Pan and Shooter McGavin? That's a shame looked beautiful.

Course is taking up valuable real estate.

Surprised it doesn't get more play after they dropped having to stay at Wynn in order to play it. Still ridiculous cost though.

It's too damn expensive to play, especially considering all the Vegas options.

http://vegasinc.com/business/gaming/2016/apr/06/wynn-resorts-announces-major-las-vegas-expansion-p/

Must be that Steve Wynn is:

a) Sick of seeing his golf course empty for most of the year;

b) A believer that the sky is falling and golf is on its way out; or

c) His macular degeneration is sufficiently bad that he can no longer play golf - in which case he will "take his ball and go home".

OR

d) Is tired of losing money to other water themed attractions in Las Vegas (?)

:confused2:

Maybe all the above.

$1.6b is no joke.

Course is taking up valuable real estate.

Based on his plans and the company plans for a beach and other items, I think this is a brilliant move for shareholders. During their brief tumble, they bought back a lot of their shares as well. Tentatively called Paradise Park, its pretty amazing what this will look like based on what was shown on FBN and CNBC last week.

To me its a smart business move.

EDIT: See the link included this info.

The course has come close to closing in the past as well. I would've loved to play it, as that location is terrific.

The golf course was supposed to go away back in 2008 but the crash let the golf course stay as no one was going to throw another billion dollar development on the land.
I'm sad to see it go. I saw John Elway playing in 2006.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The golf course was supposed to go away back in 2008 but the crash let the golf course stay as no one was going to throw another billion dollar development on the land.
I'm sad to see it go. I saw John Elway playing in 2006.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure was. I played it right before that and they were talking about that very thing. They had major plans then and now are putting them into place. Fun place that I am glad I was able to play a few times since then with golf media too.

I wonder how much play that course gets compared to others?

The two times I've played it, the course was empty. Both times I was in Vegas for a convention and the hotels were packed. I have to think the percentage of people that head to Las Vegas to play golf is low. And with cheaper options just off the strip, I can see this shutting down.

Sure was. I played it right before that and they were talking about that very thing. They had major plans then and now are putting them into place. Fun place that I am glad I was able to play a few times since then with golf media too.

My favorite place to eat in all of Vegas is the Country Club restaurant right there overlooking the waterfall on 18. It was fun eating a steak and watching the few golfers out there play 18.

Guess his exclusive clientele is just a tad too exclusive.

I don't believe the course was ever built as a money maker, it was an amenity to the resort. He now see's this water attraction as an amenity that will drive more revenue through the door.

It appears there is still a golf course in the picture.

Cant blame him thats some prime real estate

Never got a chance to play it, guess that's not happening now

Sorry to see the course go. It really is gorgeous. I see some people talk about how dead it is, but outside of the hottest time of year, there are usually quite a few people there. The course is designed in a way that you don't really see the other players very often. Also, at 4x the cost, they only need 25% of the golfers other courses get. Their rates are in line with Cascata and Shadow Ridge as well.

They mention parasailing and jet skis. Not sure the site is big enough to really allow that.

And would you want Vegas drunks speeding around on jet skis with people in the water? This could be a huge disaster.

A 38 acre lagoon, I'd much prefer the golf course!

Never been to Vegas so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything by this announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been to Vegas so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything by this announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most "normals" would never see or play the course and for the price you are better off playing Cascata or Shadow Creek. For a better deal and awesome golf you still have Paiute and TPC Las Vegas.

Most "normals" would never see or play the course and for the price you are better off playing Cascata or Shadow Creek. For a better deal and awesome golf you still have Paiute and TPC Las Vegas.

One thing to consider that is missed by those that are not gamblers is it was just as much a comp for gamblers as anything else as an attraction to draw them in.

Back