obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
Sun’s up and I’m feeling the effects due to some long rounds. What options are there for the back of the neck? I try to reapply sunblock but think there should be better options.

I’m not much for bucket hats but may have to look at that route. Hoping there’s something better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun’s up and I’m feeling the effects due to some long rounds. What options are there for the back of the neck? I try to reapply sunblock but think there should be better options.

I’m not much for bucket hats but may have to look at that route. Hoping there’s something better

I'm not sure there are "better" options than sunblock, other than wearing an SPF turtleneck. But for comfortability, when shooting out in the desert, we used to wear these: https://amzn.to/2HDSxnv

You look dumb, but they work incredibly well

I use one of these sun shades that can be used a variety of ways to protect your face or neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V00aVnsBK_U

image3.jpg

... Think Sport makes a great sunscreen but you really do need a hat that covers your neck. I think the Australian type hats that aren't really bucket hats but have a wide brim are pretty popular. I see lots of younger guys and girls using them. I have 4 in different colors. Here are two "young" guys I played with in Phoenix:

Hats.jpg

You could always channel your inner Greg Norman by growing the hair a bit longer and donning a straw hat.

shark_70.jpg

Neck protection

You could always channel your inner Greg Norman by growing the hair a bit longer and donning a straw hat.

shark_70.jpg

In my case it would be growing my back & neck hair up. Pretty sure society as a whole would be against that

Pop that collared shirt!

I play with a couple guys who will put the collar up. I'm not a fan of bucket hats either, but they do offer some protection.

SPF 60 spray sun blocker.

I’d go collar popping and a spray on sunblock for quick and easy

Think about this: do you want to look cool now and maybe have to deal with skin cancer later in life or do you want to maybe look a little less cool and protect yourself? Me personally, Im a ginger, so I have to be careful with the sun and Im very aware of how much sun Im getting and am reapplying sunblock every 9 holes (even more so if its hot and Im sweating a lot). Ive actually looked into one of those bucket/boonie hats. I mean, the Marines and Navy Seals wear them, so they cant be that uncool. Neck gaiters or just wearing a bandanna is an option too. I feel like a lot of people neglect the front of their neck too and a neck gaiter would eliminate that concern.

Try these! A lot of guys wear these fishing!

[URL]https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/f/fishing-neck-gaiters

[/URL]

I was just looking into getting a neck gaiter/balaclava the other day. I actually think they would provide fuller protection than a bucket hat, but I haven’t done the scientific research to know for sure lol

I’d like to have/wear a bucket hat, but there is a mental block for me personally that the back of the hat would get in the way of my swing. (I know it won’t, but I can’t shake the image)

I was just looking into getting a neck gaiter/balaclava the other day. I actually think they would provide fuller protection than a bucket hat, but I haven’t done the scientific research to know for sure lol

I’d like to have/wear a bucket hat, but there is a mental block for me personally that the back of the hat would get in the way of my swing. (I know it won’t, but I can’t shake the image)

I’m the same way with the bucket hat. Irrational, I know, but since golf is so mental to begin with...

I’ll post some pics when the gaiters come in.

I’m the same way with the bucket hat. Irrational, I know, but since golf is so mental to begin with...

I’ll post some pics when the gaiters come in.

Have you been able to play with the neck gaiter? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Big ol' wide brimmed straw hat. Let's your melon cool off, protects neck/face/ears. I wear a women's gardening hat I stole from my wife. It's quite stylish. I did remove the sparkly butterfly ornament, but might find a sunflower to pin on it.

I would also rock a sombrero, and one of the Asian conical hats if I found one.

Protection from the sun needless to say is very important.

I throw on SPF 70 to start my round and usually I'll re-apply to start my back 9.

In terms of headwear? Probably repeat what people have said here. Straw hat, Panama Jack hat, etc.

Could always flip up your collar. Sure it's not the best fashion statement but I've seen a couple of Tour Pros do it to block the sun.

I throw on SPF 70 to start my round and usually I'll re-apply to start my back 9.

In terms of headwear? Probably repeat what people have said here. Straw hat, Panama Jack hat, etc.

Could always flip up your collar. Sure it's not the best fashion statement but I've seen a couple of Tour Pros do it to block the sun.

Worked for Fonzie.

A few years back when I got the avoid-skin-cancer religion I picked up a couple of neck gaiters made by UnderArmour for fishermen. The trouble is, I live in a humid climate where during the months that the sun is most intense, it is just a complete non-starter to wear a layer of (supposedly breathable) cloth around my neck. With a shirt and side-brimmed hat on, along with sun sleeves, the only exposed skin where air can circulate is my face and neck. Covering up the neck makes a 90F day feel like 100F and makes a 95F degree day (with heat indices in the mid-100's) life threatening.

So I just wear a thick layer of the "paint" type sunblock with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, try to block as much as possible with the hat brim and occasionally standing under a umbrella but otherwise take my chances. If the only way to play golf in July/August is to wear a neck gaiter that would just mean no golf for me.

I could see them being a great idea for those in an arid or desert climate, though.

I just took the plunge and got a big wide brim hat, it works great. Its def the way to go, i wish i had done this years ago.

Worked for Fonzie.
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I tried it like twice. It works. Sometimes I completely forget to apply sunscreen or ran out. My neck gets a bad sunburn. So the few times I flipped up the collar it didn't prevent a sunburn but it wasn't as bad.

I think Ben Crane or Peter Malnati flip up the collar if I recall.

I will do the flipped-up collar sometimes for the last couple holes of an afternoon round. There's an hour or so, usually right around when I'm finishing a late-afternoon weekday round, when the sun gets low enough to shine under my wide hat brim but still high enough not to be behind the trees. And that's usually 3 hours into the round when I've sweated off most of my sunscreen. So I sometimes realized I flipped the collar without even thinking about, just out of reflex to get that burning sun off my poor neck!

Back