If you could change 1 rule about golf, what would it be?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
So last weekend, my wife is watching the PGA with me (shes not a huge golf fan but she knows I love it and watches the majors with me sometimes) and out of the blue, she asks me, "if you could change 1 rule, what would you change?
Honestly, I had to think about it for a minute. What I came up with isnt so much 1 rule as it is a general rollback in technology. I feel like, in many ways, its difficult to compare different eras of golf because the equipment has changed so much. We went from persimmon woods and blade irons to metalwoods, hybrids, CB irons and huge mallet putters. If it were me, I would ban metalwoods, hybrids, cavity back irons and huge mallet putters. I would also roll back the golf ball to a wound ball.
My wife is a big baseball fan, so I explained it to her like this: baseball equipment hasnt changed a whole lot in the last 100 years, so you can compare different eras of baseball and make a case for a certain player being the GOAT. With golf, equipment has changed so much that its more difficult to make that comparison. People talk about Tiger being the best but Tiger played with much better equipment than Nicklaus, Snead, Hogan and waaay better equipment than someone like Old Tom Morris did.
I know that Im in the minority here and that Im someone who is nostalgic and looks to the past as the, "golden age" (even though you could easily make a case that we are in the golden age right now because golf equipment is so good).
Anyways, just curious. Im sure that many would get rid of the leaving the flagstick in rule right now. LOL

If you could change 1 rule about golf, what would it be?

Same for me as when this topic comes up every time.

Relief from divots in the fairway. Shouldn’t be punished for hitting the fairway, I loathe it.

Some would argue that the baseball itself has changed a lot even over the last few years. They have humidors in some stadiums for the ball. The 2017 World Series ball didn't spin as much for the pitchers because of the logo on it. Just saying no sport is immune to the technology changes. Some would also argue that for a few years a needle was standard equipment for MLB players.

Now to your question. I just want to see the slow play rule enforced for any golf that gets on TV.

Penalty areas - everything red stake (no ob, no yellow) 1 stroke penalty, drop within 2 club lengths of point of entry no closer to the hole and play on.

Some would argue that the baseball itself has changed a lot even over the last few years. They have humidors in some stadiums for the ball. The 2017 World Series ball didn't spin as much for the pitchers because of the logo on it. Just saying no sport is immune to the technology changes. Some would also argue that for a few years a needle was standard equipment for MLB players.

Now to your question. I just want to see the slow play rule enforced for any golf that gets on TV.

True but to compare how golf has changed to how baseball has changed youd have to let MLB players use aluminum bats.
I do love your idea on slow play though. Id like to seem them have an offical with every grouping and implement some kind of a shot clock. Be it 30 seconds or whatever. If the shot isnt off before time expires: 1 stroke penalty. I know these tour pros have a lot of money riding on each shot but some of them waste so much time and overthink so many of these shots.

The last thing I would want to do is carry something to make sure my wound ball is still round. Spinning wedges back 20 yards would be fun for a day though.

Penalty areas - everything red stake (no ob, no yellow) 1 stroke penalty, drop within 2 club lengths of point of entry no closer to the hole and play on.
Even more so lost ball. Treat as red stake drop in rough and continue playing.

I would change Rule 1.1 to allow relief from any imperfection of any kind anywhere on the course or O/B. Relief would be granted with no penalty strokes to anywhere within 1' of the hole.

I kid, I kid. No rules need to be changed. Just play the ball down and have fun doing it!

Back