Launch monitors: ball speed vs swing speed?

gregfrey

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

Is there a site (or possibly Hackers forum thread) which discusses which of the launch monitors measure ball speed (and derive ball speed), and which measure swing speed (and derive ball speed)?

I'm looking for the simplest/cheapest device which measures ball speed. I'm not interested in swing speed.

Thanks

Greg Frey

Hi,

Is there a site (or possibly Hackers forum thread) which discusses which of the launch monitors measure ball speed (and derive ball speed), and which measure swing speed (and derive ball speed)?

I'm looking for the simplest/cheapest device which measures ball speed. I'm not interested in swing speed.

Thanks

Greg Frey

It's not exactly an answer to your question, but I seem to remember the Ernest Sports ES12 measures ball speed

My Garmin G80 measures both club and ball speed.
I compared to a Trackman 4 on an outdoor range and it was always withing 2mph on every shot I hit.

The Sc200 is probably what you want. For $200ish bucks it will tell you with a good degree of accuracy what you want.

I can’t recall exactly what it measures but generally it will tell you within a couple yards where your ball is going.

I’ve been impressed with it. It
Won’t pick up every swing but if positioned correctly, it’ll pick up 90% or more of them.

IMO you should be interested in both. Those two allow the monitor to calculate smash factor--a key measure of your quality of contact. I'll also second what Smiter said. I have an SC200 and does a nice job measuring all these data points. Measures them very close to what you'd get with a Flightscope or Trackman.

Type in "SC200" into the search text box at the top right and you'll find several threads on THP that review the SC200.

Back