Thread: 1960's - 1980's Equipment Question (for long time players)

Handicap
    Monstrous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

1960's - 1980's Equipment Question (for long time players)

First: I'm placing this question in Golf Talk because the equipment forum is dominated by modern equipment reviews and this is more a curiosity.

Background: Today most of us play with clubs that are easier to hit than the clubs the pros use. They have blades and small cavity backs that allow highly skilled players to shape shots. The vast majority of us use clubs with 'game-improvement' or 'super game-improvement' technology that helps get the ball in the air and go far.

Question: In the 1960's-1980's were the clubs the pro's used easier or harder to use than consumer models?

Were Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge clubs easier to hit than Wilson Staff Dyna-Power models because they were for consumers or were Dyna-Power models easier to hit because they had the latest technology of the era?

I notice that both sets were often paired with Wilson/Wilson-Staff model 4300 woods.
    Last edited by havingfun; 06-11-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
    In my golf bag:

Golf Clubs
    Golf Ball
    A Glove
    Tees

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    If you learned to play or played in the 60s and 70s, you played blades. There were no options for GI or SGI clubs. Club heads were essentially the same for everyone. What was different to pro clubs was custom fitting, shaft selection (even those were limited at the time) and the quality of the steel itself. Northwestern cranked out vast numbers of sets for beginners AND better players. But both were blades, with the players clubs probably getting more quality control. Wilson and others did the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RayG For This Useful Post:

Phil75070 (06-11-2019)

Handicap
    The heat
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts
    Basically this is spot on. The divergence started with the Ping Eye irons. Those were the game changers for your average Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    If you learned to play or played in the 60’s and 70’s, you played blades. There were no options for GI or SGI clubs. Club heads were essentially the same for everyone. What was different to ‘pro’ clubs was custom fitting, shaft selection (even those were limited at the time) and the quality of the steel itself. Northwestern cranked out vast numbers of sets for beginners AND better players. But both were blades, with the players clubs probably getting more quality control. Wilson and others did the same.

WITB

Callaway Epic Flash SZ set to 9.5 w/ HZDRUS Smoke 6.5 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W+ w/ HZDRUS Smoke
    Ping I500 3-PW w/ DG 120g
    Titleist SM7 48
    Titleist SM7 54
    Titleist SM7 60
    Odyssey O-Works #2 Putter
    Pro V1 or Vice Pro+ Red

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Wasn't club fitting of the day finding the hottest heads for woods and finding each iron without any hot spots that give inconstant distances.

Amateurs just had to deal with what they were sold and couldn't test 10 of the same brand.
    #GOLFBUM #INTHENATIVEAREA #PAJAMAGRAM #AWAYCAP 4.8 #DILLYDILLY
    GBB Epic 10.5 Rogue Silver 130MSI 70TX (thanks THP)
    Aeroburner 3W 15*
    Tight lies 16* Fubuki 3w x
    Pro 23* 4H
    Maltby PTM Forged 6-PW FST 125X
    Maltby M-Series + 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
    Matlby Pure Track PT Putter w/ Fatso 5.0
    Chrome Soft X
    Everyone plays slow and the greens aren't fast enough

My work is done here time for a nap

Major Champion

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by havingfun View Post
    First: I'm placing this question in Golf Talk because the equipment forum is dominated by modern equipment reviews and this is more a curiosity.

Background: Today most of us play with clubs that are easier to hit than the clubs the pros use. They have blades and small cavity backs that allow highly skilled players to shape shots. The vast majority of us use clubs with 'game-improvement' or 'super game-improvement' technology that helps get the ball in the air and go far.

Question: In the 1960's-1980's were the clubs the pro's used easier or harder to use than consumer models?

Were Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge clubs easier to hit than Wilson Staff Dyna-Power models because they were for consumers or were Dyna-Power models easier to hit because they had the latest technology of the era?

I notice that both sets were often paired with Wilson/Wilson-Staff model 4300 woods.
    Wilson staff1200 GE come out in late 70s they were a GI iron. There were option but not many options.

W/S Cortex with Atmos Red 6R
    3 Wood: W/S C300 with fuji pro stiff
    Hybrid: W/S C300 20 and 23 with fuji pro stiff
    W/S C 300 Forged 5 through GW Steelfiber 95 Stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54 F and 60 D
    Putter: Swag Flow nech raw Suave one
    Ball: W/S Duo Professional Matte Yellow

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,216 Posts
    Good observations here. I remember reading lots about the Wilson 1200 GE. My first set was a set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge - D, 3W, 5W and 2i-PW for $90 at a catalog showroom. They worked, but they weren't easy to hit. Besides the 1200 GE, the other irons I remember that claimed to be easy to hit were the Spalding Executives. They featured a low CG which made it easier to get the ball up in the air. They in fact worked as advertised. Spalding made these for about 20 years, and I played them for about 10 years beginning in the mid-80s. I remember I had a choice of wood or metal D/3/5 and I let the sales guy talk me out of the metals to my later regret
    WITB:
    THP Long-Term Test: M4 Irons, 4-SW, Stock Stiff KBS Max 85 Shafts

G400 Max Driver, 10.5/Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft
    G400 3 Wood, 14.5/Alta CB 65 Stiff Shaft
    G30 5 Wood, 18/TFC 419F Stiff Shaft
    M4 Irons, 4-AW, Stock Stiff KBS Max 85 Shafts
    Glide Wedges, 54 WS/58 SS, Stock Shaft
    Giant M1t Putter, Golf Pride Tour SNSR Grip, 140 cc