Coming over the top

Grandpa K

Reaction score
Handicap
One of the main problems I have is coming over the top. I think I try to swing hard and hit the ball more with my upper body and arms than with the entire body in synchronization. I used to play a lot of baseball in my younger years and I have this hit it hard attitude. Any suggestions how to get off this train?

I am fighting this right now too. Picked up the habit at the end of last season when trying to overcompensate for a bad back. It's both physical and mental for me. It's not an issue at all when I have a wedge in my hand, but anything longer than a 9i, and it's like 3/4 of my shots right now--toe hooks all day long. Good luck, and if you pick up any helpful tips, let me know!

One of the main problems I have is coming over the top. I think I try to swing hard and hit the ball more with my upper body and arms than with the entire body in synchronization. I used to play a lot of baseball in my younger years and I have this hit it hard attitude. Any suggestions how to get off this train?
Watch this drill and use it, you'll thank me later.

https://youtu.be/APsIJ4M2oSY

You may need a couple of training items...alignment sticks or something similar, possibly a pool foam noodle to protect your shaft...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you could film your swing down the line and from the front you’d give people some idea of what all is going on.

I’m the mean time, think of over the top as splitting wood. Instead of that, you want to chop through a tree. Or slice the legs/grass out from under the ball. That’s a Shawn Clement idea, but I think it has merit.

If you could film your swing down the line and from the front you’d give people some idea of what all is going on.

I’m the mean time, think of over the top as splitting wood. Instead of that, you want to chop through a tree. Or slice the legs/grass out from under the ball. That’s a Shawn Clement idea, but I think it has merit.

+1
FF.jpg

This is the exact visual I try to get my HS kids to think of. Works wonders.

So I went to the range with my buddy who is a good golfer with a beautiful swing this morning. He had me swing more in control, and concentrate on hitting the ball at 70%. I usually swing hard with my arms and upper body. The results were unbelievable. I learned something today. I will continue to work on it at the range and then attempt to bring it to battle on the course. Time will tell if I can do that but what a difference.

Back