Need a recommendation for a new rangefinder

I don't think you appreciate the stabilization feature until you use one on the course. So much easier to shoot the flag or some other object to get accurate readings. It's a game changer and if the Bushnell had it, I probably would have stayed with Bushnell. I also like the size of the Nikon... noticeably smaller than the others. It's also warrantied against stupid. If you can push a button, you can use it.
Yeah, I'm sure of it.

Just in that video above, with the guy capturing the image with his cell phone (not a simple feat, I'd imagine), once the stabilizing tech kicked in the image really smoothed out very impressively.

That alone would sell me, too.

Don't overlook this one Chris. I picked one up a month or 2 ago and it performs great. And yes it does have slope.

thanks rob. do you have any experience with more expensive, mainstream models to comment on speed in acquiring the target? the pro1m slope i had was fine, but it was sluggish in picking up a target vs other rangefinders. and does this unit have any stabilization features?

thanks rob. do you have any experience with more expensive, mainstream models to comment on speed in acquiring the target? the pro1m slope i had was fine, but it was sluggish in picking up a target vs other rangefinders. and does this unit have any stabilization features?
I don't have any experience with any other range finder so I can't offer any info there. I will say that number registers approximately 1 second after target is shot. There isn't a stabilization feature that I'm aware of other than my left hand. TAG feature virtually ensures your shooting flag rather than a tree behind the green.

I use the Tour V4, and its fast, accurate, compact and can come with slope, even if you don't need it since you play in Florida. I used to have some knock off range finder i received as a gift that worked, but showed the drastic differences between it and a higher quality unit. It gave yardages, but the little minutia became very apparent, despite how fond @O'Carroll was of being given yardages with an "ish" on them.

I don't think you appreciate the stabilization feature until you use one on the course. So much easier to shoot the flag or some other object to get accurate readings. It's a game changer and if the Bushnell had it, I probably would have stayed with Bushnell. I also like the size of the Nikon... noticeably smaller than the others. It's also warrantied against stupid. If you can push a button, you can use it.

Sold a Bushnell Hybrid because my hands shake too much. The Nikon stabilized came in today and it is MUCH steadier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sold a Bushnell Hybrid because my hands shake too much. The Nikon stabilized came in today and it is MUCH steadier.

Those Bushnell Hybrids also look like they'd be pretty heavy and bulky. That can't help the shakes.

Those Bushnell Hybrids also look like they'd be pretty heavy and bulky. That can't help the shakes.

The hybrid really isn’t all that heavy. Way lighter than my XE and than my V3 was.

The hybrid really isn’t all that heavy. Way lighter than my XE and than my V3 was.

Sorry, I must have been thinking of a different hybrid rangefinder/GPS I saw a few years back. It was pretty darned big.

Sorry, I must have been thinking of a different hybrid rangefinder/GPS I saw a few years back. It was pretty darned big.

This last version really surprised me with how light and compact it was, but, the case also didn’t feel like typical Bushnell quality. Was a bit of a bummer, will be excited to see that idea evolve with following releases.

The only thing I didn't like about the Nikon stabilize is it had that rattle until you pushed the button , it really annoyed me so I am sticking with my v4 w slope, it has never let me down

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The only thing I didn't like about the Nikon stabilize is it had that rattle until you pushed the button , it really annoyed me so I am sticking with my v4 w slope, it has never let me down

Rattle?

Yes it's not a crazy rattle just enough for me to not like, Nikon told me that's part of the new stabilized tech so when you press the button there is nothing moving inside, but before ,you hear it faintly, I thought it was something loose inside tbh I think we spoke about it on Amazon q and a ,where I bought it from but directly from Nikon

Need a recommendation for a new rangefinder

so i’m 99% set on the garmin approach z80. it’s stupid expensive, but i like the image stabilization and “slope” (i think it’s gps/topography based?), and i love the idea of having the image overlay giving me front-back, and then target yardages from tee box, fairway, etc.

the leupold is also high on my list, but i feel like it’s price is because of features i won’t use (like the club selector).

i’m tempted by the excellent pricing of the v4. but for the extra money, i think it would be cool to buy something that doesn’t have a ton of feedback on the forum and offer my review. EDIT: i guess i should have actually searched the forum, because there’s lots of feedback, and a good bit i’m not thrilled with. sluggish pin locking. manual charging. software updates. hmmmm, maybe i’ll go leupold after all.

dammit....

Last edited:
This last version really surprised me with how light and compact it was, but, the case also didn’t feel like typical Bushnell quality. Was a bit of a bummer, will be excited to see that idea evolve with following releases.

Samesies - still quicker than my V3 - i can get 8 hrs out of the gps battery too

so i’m 99% set on the garmin approach z80. it’s stupid expensive, but i like the image stabilization and “slope” (i think it’s gps/topography based?), and i love the idea of having the image overlay giving me front-back, and then target yardages from tee box, fairway, etc.

the leupold is also high on my list, but i feel like it’s price is because of features i won’t use (like the club selector).

i’m tempted by the excellent pricing of the v4. but for the extra money, i think it would be cool to buy something that doesn’t have a ton of feedback on the forum and offer my review. EDIT: i guess i should have actually searched the forum, because there’s lots of feedback, and a good bit i’m not thrilled with. sluggish pin locking. manual charging. software updates. hmmmm, maybe i’ll go leupold after all.

dammit....

Good luck on your choice - i’m a Bushnell homer

dammit....

While some of the features are ones you may not use, I think a lot of the $ you invest in Leupold are for the optics, which are head and shoulders above the rest, IMHO.

Samesies - still quicker than my V3 - i can get 8 hrs out of the gps battery too

Good luck on your choice - i’m a Bushnell homer

for today's headcase ponder, i'm now considering the bushnell pro xe. the altitude/temperature thing seems like it could come in handy, especially in december... and bushnell is eligible for the thp 15% off discount code, whereas leupold is not.

for today's headcase ponder, i'm now considering the bushnell pro xe. the altitude/temperature thing seems like it could come in handy, especially in december... and bushnell is eligible for the thp 15% off discount code, whereas leupold is not.

The benefits of having choices.

This is how good the optics are: We where playing in Wichita with a couple other THPers, shot the flag, handed it to my buddy and he was like damn, she had black panties on!!!! That's how good the optics are. Seriously though, I have looked thru quite a few other rangefinders and Leupold is head and shoulders above in the optics department. I play with a guy regularly who has a Bushnell, I can always get the pin before he does.

Not Rob but the NX7 acquires the target quickly. A second or so, I would guess. I have friends that will ask to use my NX7 instead of their more expensive Bushnells, etc. They all comment that its performance is as good or better than theirs.

I haven't had a problem acquiring the target, even with my sometimes unsteady hands. According to Precision Pro's website, it has "embedded Target Acquisition Technology makes it simple to lock on to the flag even if you have shaky hands."

Not Rob but the NX7 acquires the target quickly. A second or so, I would guess. I have friends that will ask to use my NX7 instead of their more expensive Bushnells, etc. They all comment that its performance is as good or better than theirs.

I haven't had a problem acquiring the target, even with my sometimes unsteady hands. According to Precision Pro's website, it has "embedded Target Acquisition Technology makes it simple to lock on to the flag even if you have shaky hands."

Target Acquisition Technology is their name for the standard feature of giving the distance to closest target when multiple reflections are received. Like Pinseeker, etc.

I am a long time user of Precision Pro Rangefinder. No issues, quick accurate and light weight. I would get the new NX7 if I needed a new rangefinder.

I am also in the market for a rangefinder. I think I'm even more unsure of what I want after reading this thread. LOL!!! Too many good options.

I like my precision pro NX7. The display is a little small but they are suppose to come out with a new one in June that is suppose to rival the big names. They also have A+ customer service!

I mentioned the Precision Pro NX7 Pro (slope) unit earlier, and I now have a couple of rounds in with mine. Absolutely no problems, acquires the target (pin or whatever) quickly, and has the "Jolt" technology that gives some feedback on when it locks on the target.

As to the conversation regarding quality of optics, the NX7 is fine, but from prior experience from other fields (shooting/hunting, photography), Leupold is probably the best. Bushnell was never even close to Leupold optically, and Nikon would likely be a close second to Leupold as their Nikkor camera lenses are very good. To me the optics weren't that big of an issue, what they put into these rangefinders are probably all pretty similar.

Back