Need a recommendation for a new rangefinder

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Right now I have my eye on several rangefinders available on Budget Golf’s website.

Callaway Tour-S
Garmin Approach Z80
Bushnell Pro XE
Leupold GX-5i3

i want something pretty small. has to have slope. i don’t really care about gps or club recommendations.

anybody have any thoughts? got some bday morning burning a hole in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the Bushnell Tour V4 Shift w/slope/jolt functions. The thing is super accurate, always gives me an immediate distance, and the slope and jolt features are just bonuses. Great rangefinder!

I have a Leupold and it is great, never owned the rest though. I would assume they all do the job at this point though.

I have had a Bushnell and a Leupold, my Leupold cost more than the bushnell but has been going strong since 2012 and have not had any issues in those 7 years. If I ever buy a new rangefinder it will be another leupold.

5221fec9338eec73b7da58e15fd9c042.jpg

This is amazing.

Pricey. But it’s been freaking impressive so far.

If price is an issue, I’d not hesitate to go Precision Pro though.

I’ll add about the XE, it’s not super compact like some of the Nikon’s out there.

I'm of the opinion that there is the Pro XE, and then everything else.

I'm happy with my Pro1M, but the XE is sure tempting.

It’s not the XE, but I love my Bushnell Pro X2. It has slope and locks on super quick and easy. I have shaky hands and it works so well for me.

You may want to look at the Leupold Gx-2i3. It checks your small with slope box perfectly. My dad has it and I have a bushnell tour v4. Both have slope and my bushell has the jolt feature, but I prefer the Leupold because it’s so compact.

I have the Bushnell Tour V4 Shift w/slope/jolt functions. The thing is super accurate, always gives me an immediate distance, and the slope and jolt features are just bonuses. Great rangefinder!

I’ll second this! I’ve had mine for a couple years now and it’s been excellent.

Just curious why it HAS to have slope? I’ve been tempted to get a new rangefinder with slope, but I just can’t justify getting a new/another rangefinder just for a slope option.

I don’t have any of the rangefinders that you have listed, but I do have a Leupold hunting rangefinder that I use for golf. It’s been great and I’m sure their golf ones are just as high a quality.

As a brand Bushnell and Leupold are generally regarded as the top brands. It's been a couple of years since I shopped them and choose the Bushnell V4, so I'm not familiar with the details on today's models. However, when I was shopping these are some of the things that separated the products.

• Speed of acquiring a target and reporting distance
  • Accuracy of acquiring the flag instead of background items, especially trees
  • Contrast/clarity of information displayed in the eyepiece
  • Long term reliability and product support
  • Battery life and indicators (some didn't give much notice before the battery went dead or it wasn't easy to keep track)
  • Slope/No slope - Not all had this option or it wasn't easy to convert from one to the other

Leupold would be my first choice. I have played with several guys this year who have Bushnells and have commented on how much better the optics are on the Leupold.
It checks off everything you are looking for.

This thread couldn’t of come at a better time as I’m in the market for a rangefinder currently.

I had two in mind Bushnell Tour V4 with slope and NX7 Pro. The price difference isn’t that significant but really not sure which one to go with since it will be my first rangefinder.

I never thought about Leupold and might have to check them out as well.

I’ll be following this thread for recommendations and reviews.

Thanks

Just curious why it HAS to have slope? I’ve been tempted to get a new rangefinder with slope, but I just can’t justify getting a new/another rangefinder just for a slope option.

I don’t have any of the rangefinders that you have listed, but I do have a Leupold hunting rangefinder that I use for golf. It’s been great and I’m sure their golf ones are just as high a quality.

i had slope on my last rangefinder. i don’t want to give up that feature.

I have a Bushnell Tour V4 and it worked great until I loaned it out and someone dropped it on the cart-path so I'm kind of interested in this thread also. When I had it, the Tour V4 was great with good optics and speed. Looking at the Pro XE if I can get it at a good price or a NX7 Pro. I liked the Bushnell a lot so it just might have the edge over the Pro.

i had slope on my last rangefinder. i don’t want to give up that feature.

That’s fair. I’ve never utilized or played with someone that has that feature on a rangefinder. Not against it or think bad of it, just don’t think that’s a feature for me and my game.

Like others have stated though, I don’t think you can go wrong with Bushnell or Leupold. I think they are the standard still right now even with others quickly catching up to them.

Right now I have my eye on several rangefinders available on Budget Golf’s website.

Callaway Tour-S
Garmin Approach Z80
Bushnell Pro XE
Leupold GX-5i3

i want something pretty small. has to have slope. i don’t really care about gps or club recommendations.

anybody have any thoughts? got some bday morning burning a hole in my pocket.

I've been pondering this one the past couple of days.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B69TDVK/?coliid=I3LRHH56SZY5BU&colid=3D7ETUHPL0EUK&psc=0

anybody have experience with callaway rangefinders?

the garmin z80 is intriguing because it seems to act a little like a skycaddie. the display will also overlay a pic of the hole, and give you yardages to front and back of green. granted, arccos already does that for me so i guess that’s not a feature i need.

i’m leaning heavily toward the leupold.

I've been using Bushnell for the last 3 years and just received a Nikon Coolshot Stabilized Rangefinder and I'm very impressed. Fast and great optics. Also has slope adjusted values. Only used it for about 3 rounds, but thus far, it's helping me play better golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOtLWWyzNsI

I've had a Leupold for 4 or so years now and its been great so far and seems pretty compact to me although I don't have experience with any of the others. I think Leupold still makes all the optics for the army so it must be pretty good.

I've been using Bushnell for the last 3 years and just received a Nikon Coolshot Stabilized Rangefinder and I'm very impressed. Fast and great optics. Also has slope adjusted values. Only used it for about 3 rounds, but thus far, it's helping me play better golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOtLWWyzNsI
If I were in the market, this is where I'd turn too.

I've had Bushnells in the past, admittedly a long time ago, before veering toward GPS for years.

Last season I wanted a rangefinder but didn't know if it would stick so I went cheap with the Nikon Coolshot 20.

That thing is SMALL. Once I figured out that the temperamental nature of the unit was operator error in my inadvertently impeding the return for the laser due to it's small size, it's been phenomenal for me.

Love the little Nikon, its reliable accuracy has won me over.

If I were in the market, this is where I'd turn too.

I've had Bushnells in the past, admittedly a long time ago, before veering toward GPS for years.

Last season I wanted a rangefinder but didn't know if it would stick so I went cheap with the Nikon Coolshot 20.

That thing is SMALL. Once I figured out that the temperamental nature of the unit was operator error in my inadvertently impeding the return for the laser due to it's small size, it's been phenomenal for me.

Love the little Nikon, its reliable accuracy has won me over.

I don't think you appreciate the stabilization feature until you use one on the course. So much easier to shoot the flag or some other object to get accurate readings. It's a game changer and if the Bushnell had it, I probably would have stayed with Bushnell. I also like the size of the Nikon... noticeably smaller than the others. It's also warrantied against stupid. If you can push a button, you can use it.

Back