slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
What about the game of golf amazes you? Either in a technical aspect, a gear aspect, the science involved....

I think one of the main things that amazes me about this game is how one tiny, minute change can have bigger consequences. Taking the club back even a millimeter off from your norm, can create a shot that is nothing like you intended.

I am constantly blown away at the billion different ways there are to get the ball in the hole. So many swings, so many different styles of play and on and on.

How my ball striking can be so drastically different from one round to the next. Short game and putting remain relatively constant thank goodness.

I’m blown away and love this game for the reason of there’s no set way of having to swing, chip, or putt. Whatever works for each person gives each person an identity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That I stood on the same fairways as PGA Pro's and can shoot a 100 while they go 62.

TPC Boston just eroded any confidence I had in my game this season.

That I stood on the same fairways as PGA Pro's and can shoot a 100 while they go 62.

TPC Boston just eroded any confidence I had in my game this season.

Oh yeah I had the same experience last year at Spyglass the week before the US Amateur. Humbled me real good.

The idea that the human body can pick up a 4-foot long stick with a small spoon-like piece of metal on the end, swing it at a 1.6-inch diameter ball and put it in a 4-inch cup 500 yards away in 5 or fewer swings is pretty remarkable.

What amazes me is that the game of golf equals or exceeds the competitive appetite that I'd had for other sports. And it amazes me that while Father Time, for me at 51, has long withheld play of my favorite sport (football), yet he still gives me, along with us all... golf.

I'm amazed that I've enjoyed this game at different times with a 9 year old and a 90 year old (I'll remember him forever). I'm amazed that this game is mine, yours, everyone's, yet no one's to own.

I'm amazed that golf cannot be had, possessed nor perfected. It can only be pursued, enjoyed and indulged.

I'm just, well... amazed. Golf.

Two things that amaze me about golf is, first, how a game originally played in the 1700's can remain relatively unchanged after all this time. Secondly, I'm amazed at how much you can learn about another person's personality or character from what you see on the course.

I am constantly blown away at the billion different ways there are to get the ball in the hole. So many swings, so many different styles of play and on and on.

On the same vein is that no one I have played with has exactly the same game. Different ball flights, distances, short game technique, etc.

What amazes me is that someone you run into that appears ordinary in every way can be extraordinary at golf. You just never know. There have been times that I thought to myself, “self, this guy is going to be really good” when I’ve been paired with a random... and they’ve really stunk at golf.

There’s also been times when I’d first glimpse at someone that carrying a 1980’s bag with gear not much older and thought, “self, this guy sucks at golf” only to have them shoot par.

I love being paired with randoms, mainly because you never know that the hell youre going to get. My middle son and I invited a single to join us as we were behind an outing and waiting on every shot anyways. He declined at first, probably because my middle son was 12 and he probably thought “self, why is this kid on the course?” After seeing him dang near hole out on a par 3 he asked if that invite was still open. Sure thing! My middle son went on to post his first round in the 70’s and he thoroughly thrashed the the stranger and me. I run into the guy often at work now and he always asks how good my son is playing.

So I guess that’s what amazes me at golf. You just never know what you’re going to get, both from strangers and yourself.

It amazes me that guys in their early 70's with 3-4 y.o. equipment shoot their age regularly while walking 18 holes.

I never played with my relatives, none of them played, but have made some of my favorite relationships all by playing golf with them & being invited back again & again.
Also traveling to far flung states & countries to play a game and while we may not exactly speak the same language we all “get it”.
How a quiet & quaint town like St. Andrews just breathes & lives golf. Every street, every pub, every person has a “round of their life” story. Each story is so different but all so similar.

What amazes me is how some days the game is so easy, and other days its like you never played the game before.

I'm blown away with how fast a person can go from playing well to bring a total mess.

The fact that you can play a hole hundreds of times and never be in the same spot after every shot. So many variables between the weather, golf club, ball, and your swing. Pretty cool thought to me. I guess it’s possible, just very rare.

Back