Cobra Golf Fly-Z Driver Review Thread

My range session with the irons and hybrids was amazing (for me). May have to invest in the Driver soon now that the price went down.

love mine..........

Huge fan of this club. Every range session and round has been great. My last round I told someone how much more fun golf is when I have confidence in my driver. This hasn't been the case at all for me this year till this club.
Just a fun club to hit for me.
I am contemplating a shaft change to see how that might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So weird to post 2 straight posts like this. I went to w goldsmith today to hit some clubs and possibly trade in some clubs. Long story short I had a chance to get the M1. I ended up going to my car and pulling out my fly z. Fly z was every bit as good as the m1 for me. As much as I have thought about the m1 recently it was good to have a showdown between these clubs today. No more driver pondering at that spot for a while.

Ok. So weird to post 2 straight posts like this. I went to w goldsmith today to hit some clubs and possibly trade in some clubs. Long story short I had a chance to get the M1. I ended up going to my car and pulling out my fly z. Fly z was every bit as good as the m1 for me. As much as I have thought about the m1 recently it was good to have a showdown between these clubs today. No more driver pondering at that spot for a while. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did your GS have the King LTD out for demo? Curious to see how it compares to the Fly-Z, not that I can spend that much on a driver right now... :)

They did have it. It was in stiff flex and I thought it was good. Hit it about as well I could have but I think I Liked the m1 more then it. But it wasn't really a fair comparison because of the shaft. I really liked the king fairway and think I would have liked the king driver in a different shaft.

Did your GS have the King LTD out for demo? Curious to see how it compares to the Fly-Z, not that I can spend that much on a driver right now... :)

i hope to be able to hit my current setup (fly-z 10.5 with gd tour ad-mj 6s) against the king ltd, maybe next week. it's exciting that i already have a couple shafts tipped up with the my fly 8 that i can plug in and use. my gut tells me that even in a large retailer, the cobra presence will be light so i'll probably just be able to test the ltd in all stock. should be fun!

i hope to be able to hit my current setup (fly-z 10.5 with gd tour ad-mj 6s) against the king ltd, maybe next week. it's exciting that i already have a couple shafts tipped up with the my fly 8 that i can plug in and use. my gut tells me that even in a large retailer, the cobra presence will be light so i'll probably just be able to test the ltd in all stock. should be fun!

I didn't even think of trying my fly z shaft with the king head. Would have made a lot of sense.

I didn't even think of trying my fly z shaft with the king head. Would have made a lot of sense.

Put the flyz+ stiff in LTD the other day and liked it better than the black.

Im assuming you mean the regular Big Bertha from 2014, not the GBB?
That is awesome DD. It was a VERY forgiving driver.

Correct, I did mean the BB 2014 edition.

Been thinking about a shaft change. I have the stock shaft in it. What are people using for shafts with this head? I am looking for a regular flex.

After 2 rounds with the Fly-Z I have decided to stick with my Cally BB, I have a very hard time drawing the FZ even on the draw setting. Being an old man I probably hit a draw on 75% of my drives. The FZ and CBB were neck and neck in distance when hit straight and both are extremely accurate, so that one little factor decided it for me.

After 2 rounds with the Fly-Z I have decided to stick with my Cally BB, I have a very hard time drawing the FZ even on the draw setting. Being an old man I probably hit a draw on 75% of my drives. The FZ and CBB were neck and neck in distance when hit straight and both are extremely accurate, so that one little factor decided it for me.

i find the fly-z significantly easier to fade than draw. i struggle hitting a draw with this club, and like you that struggle is the same with neutral or draw settings. not sure what it is?

The Cally BB for me draws more than any driver out there, so much so that my setting is close to full bore fade. My guess is I am older than you , that draw shape gets me 5-8 yards more roll

Ordered the FlyZ driver through Cobra yesterday with the Matrix White Tie shaft, the price was incredibly cheap. The time I have spent with this setup at PGA SS has been awesome. Hoping it gets here in time for our Thanksgiving round! A side note on Cobra, I placed the order and realized I transposed two numbers in my address, emailed Cobra CS, got an email back the next morning that they corrected my screw up. Great service Cobra, thank you!

Ordered the FlyZ driver through Cobra yesterday with the Matrix White Tie shaft, the price was incredibly cheap. The time I have spent with this setup at PGA SS has been awesome. Hoping it gets here in time for our Thanksgiving round! A side note on Cobra, I placed the order and realized I transposed two numbers in my address, emailed Cobra CS, got an email back the next morning that they corrected my screw up. Great service Cobra, thank you!

Enjoy the new club! It is a monster!

For any other deal hunters out there, the Fly Z driver is still available on the Cobra site with custom shaft upgrades for $199. I bought one today in white and Matrix 55X4 White Tie shaft.

I'm accumulating a decent Cobra driver collection -- Bio Cell driver with sky mark issues, Fly Z, and the White Tie, Aldila Tour Blue, and VLCT that was stock with the Fly Z +. Some of the replacement shafts with Cobra adapter are reasonable on Ebay and with some merchants web sites (Global Golf, etc...).

Dave

Just a reminder that this club is awesome. I played my first round of the year and this thing performed like I have been playing the last 6 months. I have never had so much confidence hitting a driver. Long drive of 260 and average of 233. I have an M1 that I can put in my bag, but so far the fly z is keeping it out. I cannot believe how cheap these can be found online.

Just a reminder that this club is awesome. I played my first round of the year and this thing performed like I have been playing the last 6 months. I have never had so much confidence hitting a driver. Long drive of 260 and average of 233. I have an M1 that I can put in my bag, but so far the fly z is keeping it out. I cannot believe how cheap these can be found online.

Plus, you can still get them new from Cobra will free shaft upgrade for $199: Aldila Tour Blue, Aldila Tour Green, Matrix 55X4 White Tie, Project X PXv Tour 52.

If low and back CG fits your game then these are a tremendous deal.

Dave

Hit this today on my lunch as I contemplate a driver upgrade, and was impressed. My launch angle was pretty low until he adjusted the settings and the distance increase was fairly substantial.
Thinking about grabbing one of these pretty soon.

I put in a Oban prototype shaft into a fly z recently. Was fighting a constant slice, low flight with my r15 before. Now the slice is much minimized with mostly straight shots, averaging 240 yards. Loving it

Still gaming this but Club Clash is in a week so ........

Gamed this one again today and it reminds me a lot of the G30 I once had only sounds and feels way better. I have the stock VLCT SP X flex shaft at 44.5" and ball flight is a little lower at 10.5* than I would hope for but I attribute that to the shaft flex maybe being a touch too stiff... Even with that, I was getting great distance, consistently in the 260-270 range, which was a lot of fun!! Just got my hands on a Fly Z+ so I will see how that plays out but I don't think I will get rid of the Fly Z.. it is a fun driver to game!!! Don't know why I slept on Cobra so long....

Gamed this one again today and it reminds me a lot of the G30 I once had only sounds and feels way better. I have the stock VLCT SP X flex shaft at 44.5" and ball flight is a little lower at 10.5* than I would hope for but I attribute that to the shaft flex maybe being a touch too stiff... Even with that, I was getting great distance, consistently in the 260-270 range, which was a lot of fun!! Just got my hands on a Fly Z+ so I will see how that plays out but I don't think I will get rid of the Fly Z.. it is a fun driver to game!!! Don't know why I slept on Cobra so long....

Was thinking of cutting mine down a bit as the longer drivers like the FlyZ is harder for me to control. Did you re-weight at that length?

Back