The Bryson Dechambeau Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think 75% of the pga tour golfers play slow already. I think 5 hour rounds at Augusta are pretty much standard, least it feels that way. Get to Amen corner and it might take groups 20 minutes to play hole 12.

wind
*backoff*
wind
*backoff*
wind
*backoff*
repeat.

I actually think 75% of the pga tour golfers play slow already. I think 5 hour rounds at Augusta are pretty much standard, least it feels that way. Get to Amen corner and it might take groups 20 minutes to play hole 12.

wind
*backoff*
wind
*backoff*
wind
*backoff*
repeat.

I agree. So when you have a few that make those guys look fast, then its kind of a big deal. :D

A teammate of mine has created a set of clubs exactly how Dechambeau did. I believe he used an old set of CB's from Titleist and drilled holes or added lead tape until each head was 168 grams (7 iron weight). I had pictures at one point, they looked really cool! I don't think he's gamed them yet because he want's some X100 shafts.

As a computer science and mathematics major with lots of physics in my background, I can see how his methods are valid. Eliminating variables from an equation make's it easier to solve (same length and weight of irons equating to the same swing in theory). The problem is that everyone's 'equations' are different in golf. What eliminates variables in one person's swing may complicate things in another. I believe that Dechambeau has definitely added another dimension to how the golf swing can be taught but, I don't see it being implemented by many people. It take's a certain kind of person to think of the golf swing in such a way.

If you're wondering what that type is... Dechambeau called out a Titleist Tour rep for not giving him the Pro V1's given to the pros. He found this out by placing the balls given to him in a mineral water solution and saw that they were unbalanced by the way they oscillated and floated.

That type of person.

I agree. So when you have a few that make those guys look fast, then its kind of a big deal. :D

Guess I don't let it bother me like others here. They can take as long as they want out there at Augusta, just means more Masters coverage for me the viewer!

Guess I don't let it bother me like others here. They can take as long as they want out there at Augusta, just means more Masters coverage for me the viewer!

Trickle down effect my friend....It happens in every facet of the game.

A teammate of mine has created a set of clubs exactly how Dechambeau did. I believe he used an old set of CB's from Titleist and drilled holes or added lead tape until each head was 168 grams (7 iron weight). I had pictures at one point, they looked really cool! I don't think he's gamed them yet because he want's some X100 shafts.

As a computer science and mathematics major with lots of physics in my background, I can see how his methods are valid. Eliminating variables from an equation make's it easier to solve (same length and weight of irons equating to the same swing in theory). The problem is that everyone's 'equations' are different in golf. What eliminates variables in one person's swing may complicate things in another. I believe that Dechambeau has definitely added another dimension to how the golf swing can be taught but, I don't see it being implemented by many people. It take's a certain kind of person to think of the golf swing in such a way.

If you're wondering what that type is... Dechambeau called out a Titleist Tour rep for not giving him the Pro V1's given to the pros. He found this out by placing the balls given to him in a mineral water solution and saw that they were unbalanced by the way they oscillated and floated.

That type of person.

How do you know those aren't the ones going to the pros though? It could be that for the construction, the amount that they're off balance doesn't have much of an effect and most pros don't care - it's not like we're using the old wound style golf balls. That said, if there is a mental side of knowing your ball is balanced and you're comfortable, there is a lot to be said for that.

It isn't as noticeable when the network can jump from group to group, but fock, it is terrible when you are following a single group or hole on the online Thurs/Friday coverage. Holes like 11 can be frustrating, as each pro takes forever to make a decision whether or not to lay up... then they finally go for it and bail out way right...

It isn't as noticeable when the network can jump from group to group, but fock, it is terrible when you are following a single group or hole on the online Thurs/Friday coverage. Holes like 11 can be frustrating, as each pro takes forever to make a decision whether or not to lay up... then they finally go for it and bail out way right...

That's why you have 3 TV's going on all the Directv Masters channels! :D

How do you know those aren't the ones going to the pros though? It could be that for the construction, the amount that they're off balance doesn't have much of an effect and most pros don't care - it's not like we're using the old wound style golf balls. That said, if there is a mental side of knowing your ball is balanced and you're comfortable, there is a lot to be said for that.

Well this information is from a secondary source so for all I know it's skewed. To extend on what I've heard, he was given balls that were 'for the pros' and there were still multiple balls that were fairly unbalanced.

It could of just been him calling out that the balls were unbalanced and that he wanted a new set.

Pretty much every good amateur player who played in college gets free stuff while in college, non of them pay for it and if they don't use the stuff the team gets them they obv aren't allowed to sell it but they just give it back.

Well this information is from a secondary source so for all I know it's skewed. To extend on what I've heard, he was given balls that were 'for the pros' and there were still multiple balls that were fairly unbalanced.

It could of just been him calling out that the balls were unbalanced and that he wanted a new set.

off topic a bit but when i spent time with the cobra guys i learned that there are tour-issue only balls. "left dot" or "x plus" or "two dot" or something like that.

That type of person.

From my understanding if all the clubs were the same weight then that's detrimental to the process. The club heads are heavier based on the regular shaft length to maintain the amount of force required for distance.
If they're the same weight then the distances will be very close as opposed to a regular set.
With regard to the golf balls that's a case of manufacturing tolerances so perhaps the ones given to pros are regular ones that have been measured and are tight to the tolerances. It's unlikely that a manufacturer would create different balls for pros and then lie about the balls they sell to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding if all the clubs were the same weight then that's detrimental to the process. The club heads are heavier based on the regular shaft length to maintain the amount of force required for distance.
If they're the same weight then the distances will be very close as opposed to a regular set.
With regard to the golf balls that's a case of manufacturing tolerances so perhaps the ones given to pros are regular ones that have been measured and are tight to the tolerances. It's unlikely that a manufacturer would create different balls for pros and then lie about the balls they sell to the public.

I know Fowler uses a ball that's not available to the public. They're labeled ProV1 but are actually a different compression. He said between a ProV and an X.

I know Fowler uses a ball that's not available to the public. They're labeled ProV1 but are actually a different compression. He said between a ProV and an X.

Just seems odd to me that they would use a different ball to what they are giving us.
Surely not all of them are using different balls

He is not alone. Not even close to alone. :D

I figured as much, he's just the only one I've heard say it. It's not surprising. These guys demand so much more than we do from their equipment why should their golf balls be any different?

Are we just talking compression or whole different construction/ball?

Are we just talking compression or whole different construction/ball?

Depends on the player. Although I would argue that compression is largely the biggest difference between premium golf balls inside of a brands lineup. Then add how many are using previous years, and even previous years' prototypes.

It's not surprising to me at all. These guys are so good and so precise. The OEMs probably only care that the product is branded the same as their mainstream products. Makes perfect sense.

Back on topic...BD's approach makes sense to a certain extent if the ground is perfectly level. Seems like all the variables he's trying to normalize go out the window on uneven lies like we see at Augusta. It will be really interesting to see how his ball striking holds up under these conditions. The prediction that he wins seems fairly laughable...he still needs to putt and there are some guys in the field that can play a little bit.

And one thing I should add. He is not playing a Titleist ball.

And one thing I should add. He is not playing a Titleist ball.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Watching him as one of the featured groups online at the Masters now.
Very interesting and entertaining to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back