Yardage Based on Handicap

I think it is also course dependent. My home course is only 6600 from the tips but it is pretty tight with trees. I can shoot better on a nearby course at 7100 yards since it is so open.
Nice bro! haha

I believe this is dependent on the golfer. I have friends who are higher handicap who can crush their driver long and straight but bleed shots everywhere else. They do not benefit from shorter tees. I am a shorter hitter off the tee (longest drives on flat ground carry 240 tops) but my short game is my strength. On shorter courses where my approach shots are with a wedge in hand I definitely score better. To me it let's me know more of my practice needs to be on my long irons.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't believe so.

Less yardage won't make poor course managers into good course managers. It won't make bad chippers and putters of the golf ball into good short-game players. If a player who pulls driver off the tee regardless of the circumstances of the hole, then moving him/her up a set of tees will just make them think about how much closer they can get if they crush their driver.

My index has almost nothing to do with my swing speed.

I'm a short hitting, high-capper who plays fast. Go figure.

The tees don't matter, it's just people being slow, or egotistical, or dumb.

Or a tasty melange of all three.

Less yardage won't make poor course managers into good course managers. It won't make bad chippers and putters of the golf ball into good short-game players. If a player who pulls driver off the tee regardless of the circumstances of the hole, then moving him/her up a set of tees will just make them think about how much closer they can get if they crush their driver.

My index has almost nothing to do with my swing speed.

I don't think I could have put my thoughts on this subject into better words.

Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png

no correlation.......

Bad decisions and bad course management are universal, not speed related. We have a guy at my club that's scratch, plays the back tees, can't hit his driver any longer than 220, but never get in to trouble and chips and putts like a man possessed. And then there's me... hits the ball long, can't find a green, and lips out everything. :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

From the data I have seen based off of Game golf/Arrcos/etc and a few of the USGA/R&A publications, yes, typically lower handicaps hit the ball farther.

The saying drive for show putt for dough is pretty beaten these days as many stats have shown the longer you are, the better potential you'll have to score better. Not saying that you can be a horrible putter, just like you cant be overly wild off the tee.

now does this show up in the every day golfer scenario? not from what I experience playing 1-3/wk typically as a solo golfer. Usually what saves most people I play with are shots inside of 130. If the player can get on the green and 2 putt, they will be ok (considering 8 handicap and above). All the players I have considered "Great" (scratch to 5ish) have been at least my length (not that long 240ish carry) but typically about 15-20 yards longer. game is much easier when you don't have many mid or long irons into par 4s or all you have into par 5s are long/mid irons haha.

Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png

no correlation.......

Except, that chart has no correlation to tees that should be played. I swing over 120 mph, but I don't believe I will ever be a -5 or better.

"The secret of golf is to turn three shots into two." - Bobby Jones

This could be for an up and down or reaching a par 5 in two. There is a correlation, but golf is hard to translate.

100 yds and in, is the biggest part of the game but there are layers to be achieved with distance. Depends on the handicap and the distance.
If you are not able to reach a par 4 in regulation because of distance it can be significant.

Generally speaking the longer hitters have the potential to score better. Handicap is a measure of potential based off previous performance. So there will be some correlation, but they are not intrinsically linked.

To me a long course just puts a harder stress on putting yourself in play and longer clubs in your bag. You will probably play more towards the center of the green and only attack pins that sit up for your shot shape.

A shorter course means you will have a wedge or short iron and will assume every shot from the fairway and rough is a greenlight to attack a pin.

A longer player will be able to use shorter clubs if they get off the tee well which generally a lower handicap can do.

Help me pick a tee box for my upcoming "Ryder cup." I’m playing off a 12. Default tee box is 71.3/133 and 6,431 yards. I can play to a 14 if I back up to the blacks which are rated 73.6/138 at 6,881 yards.

I'm hoping this is the thread to find the answer to this question. I don't mind the longer course but, which gives me the more likely opportunity to score better? What other factors would you consider? I have not ever played the course and am told that is is pretty wide open (meaning I can hit driver a lot without worrying about OB or trees too much).

Yardage Based on Handicap

Is their correlation and in your opinion, should there be some guidelines?

My short game (see putting) is hawt garbage but in 3 rounds 6,800 yards is easy peasy with a ton of wedge shots in

To clarify I’m an 8.7 cap

I think cap isn’t indicative of yardage

Would your score (ie. handicap) be any different if you could not hit a golf ball farther than 200 yards?
For me yes. How close would your scores be if you did not have anything more than a 4 or 5 iron?

Would your score (ie. handicap) be any different if you could not hit a golf ball farther than 200 yards?
For me yes. How close would your scores be if you did not have anything more than a 4 or 5 iron?

If this is in regards to my question, assuming an average drive for me, I would only have a couple holes over 5 iron in. One being a 475 par 4. From the shorter tees, this hole is still about 450.

Wait a sec... "Scratch who cant hit his driver more than 220..." That HAS to be an anomaly. He certainly wouldn't TRAVEL as a scratch? there are fairways you can't REACH if he 'maxes' at 220 on some courses I play from the whites(6200-6400). Which means he probably should average about 200 (being kind). If he's playing tips ANYWHERE else but his home he's be lucky to get to the fairway in 8 if he doesn't make some of the carry's I've seen. And par 3's from tips are longer than his max sometimes. and all carry. He essentially should just walk to the drop zone (if there is one) and play 3 from there.

That is either a very, VERY short course, or he's cherry picking his scores.

If this is in regards to my question, assuming an average drive for me, I would only have a couple holes over 5 iron in. One being a 475 par 4. From the shorter tees, this hole is still about 450.

Not directed at anyone specifically. I just do not see how distance and score do not have a mutual connection. As I said before, there are tiers to distance, and it complicates the relationship.
Tees you play, dispersion, possibilities... I just know that if I took all my woods, hybrids out of my bag it would change my scores (handicap).

Course management, and 100 yards and in is a huge factor but not the only one. There are people who can hit it significantly longer, and shorter than I do who are better golfers. However, distance is a part of my game.

Edit: I believe I got a little lost here. If you are deciding which set of tees to play from, yes. Handicap is what I would base it on. It is not a fair system, but the option I'd choose.

Last edited:
I am not convinced that distance makes a huge deal in many cases. I can hit it 275-300 now and it hurt me some when I first found the extra distance because I was not used to playing partial wedge shots so often. I think putting is the biggest factor in handicap followed extremely closely by other short game aspects (chipping/pitching). Turning birdie attempts into bogeys and par save attempts into doubles is going to have a much larger impact in my opinion and no matter what tees you play from that is going to be a factor. I played a local 9 hole today twice once from the "men's" tees and once from the tips. Shot the same score on both sides. I did find the tips more difficult but more from an angle perspective then distance. The longest approach I had all day was a 200 yard second shot from a dogleg longer par 5. All par 4s were short irons to partial wedges from both tee boxes. I was having a solid day with the driver though. I missed several birdie putts though and lipped out an eagle putt I should have made. Those are the missed opportunities that hurt your score.

The other problem is those with higher handicaps kill themselves with penalty strokes from wayward tee shots and approach shots. I am guilty of this at times too. Consistency is the other major killer in scores in my opinion and penalty strokes come from inconsistency or poor course management.

I have been talking to quite a few friends lately and the conversation has been in my opinion 99% of amateur golfers should spend way more time practice putting but it seems in my opinion only 1% actually put much effort in to it. I am guilty of that as well but trying to make a conscious effort to change that. Start sinking more putts for 99% of golfers will make more difference then moving up a tee box in my opinion.

Now I will concede there are guys out there that have a great short game but just don't have the speed to get off the tee box and end up with longer irons in their hands. These guys will benefit greatly from moving up but I think for the average amateur it won't make a huge difference.

My short game (see putting) is hawt garbage but in 3 rounds 6,800 yards is easy peasy with a ton of wedge shots in

To clarify I’m an 8.7 cap

I think cap isn’t indicative of yardage

Must be getting big.... I don’t remember you being thaaaat much longer than me haha. You playing at elevation? 6800 is my longest comfortable distance to but I wouldn’t say I have a ton of wedges into the green. Some but mainly 8-6 irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve played courses at 7-7300 and that put many long irons or even hybrid/wood onto greens. Score didn’t differ that much. Just had to plot my way around and hit good pitches/chips.

Maybe 3 strokes.

Must be getting big.... I don’t remember you being thaaaat much longer than me haha. You playing at elevation? 6800 is my longest comfortable distance to but I wouldn’t say I have a ton of wedges into the green. Some but mainly 8-6 irons.

I’m at Sea Level - about an hour South of Wilmington today and Sunday I was in Southern Pines both days were not a struggle - course setups put the Par 3s and Par 5s out a bit and MBurnham had 15-20 yards on me - both rounds was closer to him when I played the EXS vs the F9 (longer shaft)

I’m at Sea Level - about an hour South of Wilmington today and Sunday I was in Southern Pines both days were not a struggle - course setups put the Par 3s and Par 5s out a bit and MBurnham had 15-20 yards on me - both rounds was closer to him when I played the EXS vs the F9 (longer shaft)

My comment was a little in jest haha. Where are you playing in Myrtle Beach?

My comment was a little in jest haha. Where are you playing in Myrtle Beach?

Ocean Ridge Plantation all 4 courses - I like the layouts

Course condition on panthers run was a bit disappointing today

Might try and tip out one of these courses and see how the cap is. My scoring is getting killed due to the flatstick

Back