merlebo02

Reaction score
Handicap
So if you have these beginner clubs that are easy to hit and very forgiving and have greater distance why don’t everyone hit these clubs? What is the advantage of a “players club”?

So if you have these beginner clubs that are easy to hit and very forgiving and have greater distance why don’t everyone hit these clubs? What is the advantage of a “players club”?

The argument from a lot of "sticks" is the workability and feel of a traditional forged blade style. Technology has done a pretty decent job of blending both, lately, but you'll still find guys that prefer to play traditional blade shapes. Different strokes for different folks, brother. We all get the ball in the hole in a variety of ways.

I just got fitted. At first they were all the game improvement irons. Then he had me try some "players" clubs. When I hit them in the sweet spot, they felt amazing, sounded great...I popped the 7i 195 yards three times. Unfortunately, on the ones where I was just that little bit off the sweet spot, they felt like %^&*, looked like &*%&, it sounded awful, actual hurt my hands a little bit, and the ball went nowhere or became a wild slice. The improvement clubs I ended up with (M6), the 7i averages 168 yards. When I hit it in the sweet spot, it really moves, I have been on 185 yard greens I was trying to lay up several times. But when I miss the sweet spot, it feels okay and moves a respectable distance, hence the 168 average.

Here to me is the key; I tend to miss the sweet spot more than I hit it. To me, the advantage that one time in 10 swings I hit it on the screws with the players club is far more than canceled out by the poor results the other 9 times. However, if I had the consistency really good players have the reverse would be true. As is, I will have a better average result with the clubs that have the advantages for a hack like me.

It’s basically been covered, but “Players” CB’s and MB’s are usually smaller and easier to work the ball with. For those that find the center of the clubface dang near every swing they’re a good choice.

If you’re good enough to be thinking “I’m going to hit a 5 yard fade to hold the wind off” and to actually make that happen, that’s the type of player that can benefit from them.

There’s another group of golfers that even though they may not be the best ballstrikers just feel more confident with the smaller size too. It took me some getting used to to play larger profile, I wouldn’t call Epics or Vapor Speeds really large but they’ll look huge coming from something like my Callaway Razr X Forged that I played immediately prior. I benefit from the added forgiveness at times so I play my current mixed bag of WITB in my signature.

My middle son is a great ballstriker and plays Mizuno MP 15’s. They’re great irons for him as he rarely misses the center, and they provide a little help when he is just off. He definitely plays those better then he does my irons, and did from day 1 of having them.

Back